Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments

Shocking, Obama interjecting himself into a racially charged national topic. I don't hate on him like many here but seriously POTUS, , focus on something else.

If he had another brother, he'd look like Magic Johnson.
POTUS is asked a question and he responded. Are you saying he can't answer a question because it involves racism - because he happens to be black? Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I think he gets to answer the question. He doesn't have to beg off because he's black. I also think he is capable on focusing on more than one thing at a time (as if answering a single question actually amounts to focusing).

So besides the six new minutes, allegedly Sterling also knew that he was being recorded.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/04/27/donald-sterling-racist-audio-v-stiviano-recorded-clippers

This is poorly written (perhaps intentionally so). You can't be sure who taped the conversation, the girlfriend or the "source" (whom I suspect may be the girlfriend):

"Donald Sterling was AWARE he was being taped during the conversation that was posted" on TMZ Sports, in which the L.A. Clippers owner went on a racial rant ... so claims the woman who taped him.A source connected with V. Stiviano tells TMZ Sports ... the full conversation lasted approximately 1 hour. We're told Stiviano insists it was clear to Sterling at the beginning of the conversation he was being recorded."

In any case, there seems to be A LOT more to this...and I don't mean just from the racism angle. Why was he being taped? Why was it released? When and where did it happen? Who knew about it? Who suggested it? Was there $$ involved?

This is going to be a good story for quite a while.

Col. Bleep said:
This is poorly written (perhaps intentionally so). You can't be sure who taped the conversation, the girlfriend or the "source" (whom I suspect may be the girlfriend): "Donald Sterling was AWARE he was being taped during the conversation that was posted" on TMZ Sports, in which the L.A. Clippers owner went on a racial rant ... so claims the woman who taped him.A source connected with V. Stiviano tells TMZ Sports ... the full conversation lasted approximately 1 hour. We're told Stiviano insists it was clear to Sterling at the beginning of the conversation he was being recorded." In any case, there seems to be A LOT more to this...and I don't mean just from the racism angle. Why was he being taped? Why was it released? When and where did it happen? Who knew about it? Who suggested it? Was there $$ involved? This is going to be a good story for quite a while.

I'll be honest, I don't think Sterling gives a about being recorded, what he said, etc.

He's been a continuously terrible person for decades and continued on.

I agree there seems to be a lot more to this, but there are a lot of new owners that aren't buddies with Sterling (he had been protected in part by Jerry Buss) and a new commish that cannot avoid this like Stern did.

POTUS is asked a question and he responded. Are you saying he can't answer a question because it involves racism - because he happens to be black? Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I think he gets to answer the question. He doesn't have to beg off because he's black. I also think he is capable on focusing on more than one thing at a time (as if answering a single question actually amounts to focusing).
You don't have to give your opinion on every single non-political racial current event. There is a tactic called deflection of which politicians are keenly aware of.

You don't have to give your opinion on every single non-political racial current event. There is a tactic called deflection of which politicians are keenly aware of.

Why the heck would you want to encourage deflection? I want my elected officials to give succinct, honest answers to everything they're asked at all times.

Wow, from CNN...

"In an interesting wrinkle, Sterling is set to be given a lifetime achievement award at an event next month to mark the 100th anniversary of the Los Angeles NAACP."
I'm guessing he made a donation at some point to smooth over past transgressions

No more David Stern + a lot of new owners that don't care for Sterling.

Different world now.

I don't think they cared for him back then either. Other than providing their franchise with some easy wins.

Briancuse said:
I don't think they cared for him back then either. Other than providing their franchise with some easy wins.

Jerry Buss gave him support, for example.

Different world for him now.

RandygoCuse said:
I'm guessing he made a donation at some point to smooth over past transgressions

award has now been canceled.

it would of actually been Sterling second award from NAACP he also got one in 2009 the same year Baylor sued him.

Why the heck would you want to encourage deflection? I want my elected officials to give succinct, honest answers to everything they're asked at all times.
I get what you're saying but I think Obama has increased racism in this country by being divisive and constantly interjecting his views on racially charged current events. Yes, much has to do with ignorant people who despise him for being a black president, I'm not discounting that because that's probably the main reason but much like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton perpetuate racial divide for political gain, I'm seeing the same thing on a much smaller scale from our President.

Lol, Golden State representing for the fight against racism.

image.jpg

I get what you're saying but I think Obama has increased racism in this country by being divisive and constantly interjecting his views on racially charged current events. Yes, much has to do with ignorant people who despise him for being a black president, I'm not discounting that because that's probably the main reason but much like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton perpetuate racial divide for political gain, I'm seeing the same thing on a much smaller scale from our President.
In your original post re Obama you also used "interjecting"; a question was asked of him during a presser for an unrelated event & he responded to it. The same question would've been asked if Romney or whoever was president. If anyone was interjecting it was the reporter who asked the question.
Anyway - is there anyone who is surprised by Sterling's alleged remarks? I have no sympathy for any of the Clippers (white or black) who signed on as free agents. In a perfect world Etan Thomas would've been traded to the Clippers in 2008, would've have refused to report & brought this situation to the forefront much sooner than now.

I'm consistently amazed by the backflips that some choose to apply to a clear cut issue like this. There's always the "freedom of speech" crowd reminding us that somehow, that whatever was said was somehow justified. Or the "he's just an old man" apologist, & the "let's everybody calm down" apologists.
When did simple morality, obvious right vs wrong, turn into some sort of Clintonian attempt at justification?
Sterling is a bigoted ahole who got busted in public. People are justifiably offended, disgusted, etc. It's also newsworthy so the POTUS will get asked about it. Does there really need to be prolonged diagnosis on these points?
Next time something like this happens, & it will- take a gander at those who simply won't wrap their heads around the culprit, and the victim involved. It's fascinating to watch.
JMHO.

Last edited:
I'm consistently amazed by the backflips that some choose to apply to a clear cut issue like this. There's always the "freedom of speech" crowd reminding us that somehow, that whatever was said was somehow justified. Or the "he's just an old man" apologist, & the "let's everybody calm down" apologists.
When did simple morality, obvious right vs wrong, turn into some sort of Clintonian attempt at justification?
Sterling is a bigoted ahold who got busted in public. People are justifiably offended, disgusted, etc. it's also newsworthy and the POTUS. Gets asked about it. Does there really need to be anymore diagnosis on these points?
Next time something like this happens, & it will- take a gander at those who simply won't wrap around the culprit, and the victim involved. It's fascinating to watch. JMHO.
Who's justifying anything he said in this thread? It was appalling, dude is acting like he's a plantation owner and everyone is lucky to be working on his farm.

Re: Obama, since we're playing the semantics game, I should have said "offering" his opinion on any race related current event. I believe he uses race in a smaller scale but same way Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson use it. Thats my opinion. I don't hate on Obama for much, that's one of the few things I'm not crazy about that he does.

Sorry, but this is bullspit. Yes, I am sure there are people who despise him for being a black president, but the entire Republican nation despises him for being president, period. Nothing to do with race (I hope). He's the president. I want my president interjecting his views on ANY current events. No matter whether I voted for him or not.

Actually I like it when Obama gets angry at stuff like this.

Several points:

1. TMZ hasn't said how and where this was recorded and who provided the recording. You figure it has to be the girlfriend. But to what end? She's being sued by Sterling's wife to return gifts that are supposedly marital assets. On it's face, making and releasing the tape seems like a bad move for her. That suggests there's something more going on.

2. Welcome to the Commissioner's seat, Adam Silver.

3. Most importantly, this shows the value of $$$. Imagine if this 81-year-old guy didn't have a gazillion dollars. He'd be sitting in assisted living daydreaming about the kind of hot chicks he knew 50 years ago, not dating them.

Im pretty sure she is going to be in deep for this.

i'd be surprised if anything less than jail and a very expensive lawsuit if the donald didnt know he was being recorded.

Who's justifying anything he said in this thread? It was appalling, dude is acting like he's a plantation owner and everyone is lucky to be working on his farm.

Re: Obama, since we're playing the semantics game, I should have said "offering" his opinion on any race related current event. I believe he uses race in a smaller scale but same way Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson use it. Thats my opinion. I don't hate on Obama for much, that's one of the few things I'm not crazy about that he does.
Two things: No one mentioned u by name. If I wanted to call u out, I would have.
Obama will definitely get asked more about racial issues since he's only the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! I think there is a correlation there, so why the surprise?
Finally, my post was referring mostly to the comments I read on the Deadspin and CNN sites, not particularly to anything said in this thread- so no need to be so defensive. It's all good.

Last edited:

Serious question. When you say he "uses" race in what regard does he do so?

Serious question. When you say he "uses" race in what regard does he do so?
Trayvon Martin of course and then subtle things like his associations with rappers which I'm sorry, but is completely unprofessional. Especially when you read the lyrics of some of these rappers, it's clear pandering to his view as a hip president with street cred meant to play well in inner cities.

In your original post re Obama you also used "interjecting"; a question was asked of him during a presser for an unrelated event & he responded to it. The same question would've been asked if Romney or whoever was president. If anyone was interjecting it was the reporter who asked the question.
Anyway - is there anyone who is surprised by Sterling's alleged remarks? I have no sympathy for any of the Clippers (white or black) who signed on as free agents. In a perfect world Etan Thomas would've been traded to the Clippers in 2008, would've have refused to report & brought this situation to the forefront much sooner than now.

1st off... i havent read the previous comments about Obama, so i apologize if im a bit off...

but my biggest issue with obama's comments, and its a HUGE issue is that he said that Donald Sterling was advertising his thoughts.

That's insane talk. and a blatant lie. This was a private conversation that was possibly (being generous when i say possibly) ILLEGALLY recorded.

Sterling is a bigoted ahole who got busted in public. People are justifiably offended, disgusted, etc. It's also newsworthy so the POTUS will get asked about it. Does there really need to be prolonged diagnosis on these points?
Next time something like this happens, & it will- take a gander at those who simply won't wrap their heads around the culprit, and the victim involved. It's fascinating to watch.
JMHO.

You totally lost me at "he got busted in public"

no... he did not. he got busted for having a private conversation that was possibly (and i am being very generous in calling it possibly) ILLEGALLY recorded.

I would love to hear all of your private conversations. i bet i can find some juicy stuff.

not justifying anything he said... just laying out what happened to him so no one gets fooled by your story.