Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Donald Sterling recorded making some racist comments

You totally lost me at "he got busted in public"

no... he did not. he got busted for having a private conversation that was possibly (and i am being very generous in calling it possibly) ILLEGALLY recorded.

I would love to hear all of your private conversations. i bet i can find some juicy stuff.

not justifying anything he said... just laying out what happened to him so no one gets fooled by your story.
However it happened, the fact is that those comments are now in the public domain, & everything u read about this guy's history tells u this likely wasn't the first time he ran his mouth. This time it just happened to be w/ some side-piece who was smart enough to capture it...and air it publically.
Frankly, how it got out is largely irrelevant, IMO. Yeah, it sucks for him...but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, so F' him!!

Last edited:
I get what you're saying but I think Obama has increased racism in this country by being divisive and constantly interjecting his views on racially charged current events. Yes, much has to do with ignorant people who despise him for being a black president, I'm not discounting that because that's probably the main reason but much like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton perpetuate racial divide for political gain, I'm seeing the same thing on a much smaller scale from our President.

Yeah. He's black and has a weird name - all the racial problems are definitely his fault :rolleyes:. MLK should have kept his mouth and stopped causing all that trouble, too. Give me a break. I hope you're just trolling cause the dude never had a chance in this country. It's amazing anything has gotten done in the past six years.

Yeah. He's black and has a weird name - all the racial problems are definitely his fault :rolleyes:. MLK should have kept his mouth and stopped causing all that trouble, too. Give me a break. I hope you're just trolling cause the dude never had a chance in this country. It's amazing anything has gotten done in the past six years.

So out of line man. Calm yourself.

Trayvon Martin of course and then subtle things like his associations with rappers which I'm sorry, but is completely unprofessional. Especially when you read the lyrics of some of these rappers, it's clear pandering to his view as a hip president with street cred meant to play well in inner cities.

If you felt the need to turn this thread into something unrelated to express your political angst, you might have the issue with "interjecting".

Adam Silver has to act. There's a press conference tonight at 8:30 in regards to this. I have to imagine it will be Silver laying down some kind of repercussions, at least I hope so.

Side note: When youre rich, don't trust anybody, especially your girl.

Doubtful. This might come as a surprise to some, but Sterling has been a thinly veiled racist for decades. This is hardly an isolated incident, and given the circumstances of how that audio might have been acquired, I bet that the consequences won't be all that severe.

Sure--there's been too big of a public outcry for there not to be suspensions / fines, but overall that won't really "harm" Sterling. He's allowed the Clippers franchise to toil / flounder in ineptitude for nearly the entire duration of his ownership.

Real, impactful damage will only result from the current coaches / players, if they decide to opt out and veto Sterling's racist nonsense by "voting" with their feet. The real impact would come from Paul or Griffin bailing, or Doc Rivers taking a principled stand and not coaching for that bigot anymore. Or for other free agents to pocket veto coming to LA to play for Sterling.

But there's nothing that the league can do that will change this man. So they fine him or suspend him--BFD. If the Clippers go back to being the Clippers instead of this team we've seen for the last two years, that will just be things reverting back to the status quo. Not "harming" Sterling for his bigotry. This is a guy who hasn't been able to get out of his own way for the three decades that I've been paying attention to the NBA.

Doubtful. This might come as a surprise to some, but Sterling has been a thinly veiled racist for decades. This is hardly an isolated incident, and given the circumstances of how that audio might have been acquired, I bet that the consequences won't be all that severe.

Sure--there's been too big of a public outcry for there not to be suspensions / fines, but overall that won't really "harm" Sterling. He's allowed the Clippers franchise to toil / flounder in ineptitude for nearly the entire duration of his ownership.

Real, impactful damage will only result from the current coaches / players, if they decide to opt out and veto Sterling's racist nonsense by "voting" with their feet. The real impact would come from Paul or Griffin bailing, or Doc Rivers taking a principled stand and not coaching for that bigot anymore. Or for other free agents to pocket veto coming to LA to play for Sterling.

But there's nothing that the league can do that will change this man. So they fine him or suspend him--BFD. If the Clippers go back to being the Clippers instead of this team we've seen for the last two years, that will just be things reverting back to the status quo. Not "harming" Sterling for his bigotry. This is a guy who hasn't been able to get out of his own way for the three decades that I've been paying attention to the NBA.

Unfortunately, even if they somehow made him sell the team (which I doubt they can), he's going to be raking in almost $1Bn for an asset he paid $12 million for.

And not only is it Sterling himself, his wife (not his girlfriend) has issues and his son, who died, shot a friend over a girl and got away with it (and there is documented conversation with Sterling and the cops).

There is a ton of baggage with this family. It's incredible. The fact that Stern gift-wrapped CP3 to this guy is amazing.

Could the political posts that have nothing to do with basketball move and continue on the "Other" board? Thank you.
You know - I'm usually the one to write that. I swear I thought this was the off-topic board I was posting comments on. Oops.

Stern was the man behind the curtain and how he skirted so many issues makes Caliperi look like a boy scout.

Frankly, how it got out is largely irrelevant, IMO. Yeah, it sucks for him...but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, so F' him!!

Just a guess, the girlfriend's after a serious chunk of change because she knows she's on the way out, and has likely suspected it for a while. That's why she had the recording made. So, she plays it for him and says, "Cough up or I'll go public," he says "Go ahead, I don't care." And I'm sure he doesn't, lol! In the end, two things will probably happen: he'll pay his lawyers more than he'll end up giving her, and he's going to make a ton of money selling the team. Money doesn't make you smart, just gives you different stuff to do.

Who's justifying anything he said in this thread? It was appalling, dude is acting like he's a plantation owner and everyone is lucky to be working on his farm.

Re: Obama, since we're playing the semantics game, I should have said "offering" his opinion on any race related current event. I believe he uses race in a smaller scale but same way Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson use it. Thats my opinion. I don't hate on Obama for much, that's one of the few things I'm not crazy about that he does.

You are way off on this one. Way off. He's black, loves basketball, and is the President. If you don't think people were going to seek him out about his opinion on this, you are out of your mind. It's not like he is calling for the players to sit out or the customers to stay away. He gave what I consider a very measured response.

"We've made enormous strides, but you're going to continue to see this percolate up every so often," he added. "And I think that we just have to be clear and steady in denouncing it, teaching our children differently, but also remaining hopeful that part of why statements like this stand out some much is because there has been this shift in how we view ourselves.""

Just a guess, the girlfriend's after a serious chunk of change because she knows she's on the way out, and has likely suspected it for a while. That's why she had the recording made. So, she plays it for him and says, "Cough up or I'll go public," he says "Go ahead, I don't care." And I'm sure he doesn't, lol! In the end, two things will probably happen: he'll pay his lawyers more than he'll end up giving her, and he's going to make a ton of money selling the team. Money doesn't make you smart, just gives you different stuff to do.
Apparently the GF is Sterling's archivist for memoirs and that is how she recorded the conservations. She tons of tapes and plays thems back to him in case he forgets. Their is no violation of CA law if this true and the NBA will able to verify the voices today and Sterling we will be gone by tomorrow via suspension.

Alsacs said:
Apparently the GF is Sterling's archivist for memoirs and that is how she recorded the conservations. She tons of tapes and plays thems back to him in case he forgets. Their is no violation of CA law if this true and the NBA will able to verify the voices today and Sterling we will be gone by tomorrow via suspension.

And Magic and The Guggenheim Group will be hanging overhead once the other owners force him to sell or change the by laws to make him sell in the future.

Jerry Buss gave him support, for example.

Different world for him now.

I always assumed that was because Buss knew Sterling was incompetent as a basketball owner and so he backed him knowing that the Clips wouldn't be able to compete with the Lakers.

I love the idea of Magic buying the team.

In the Grantland article today, Charles Pierce mentioned that a suspension won't do anything to Sterling, a 5 million dollar fine won't dent him, and selling the team will make him 1B. But the thing that could make Sterling's blood absolutely boil is being forced to sell the team to Magic Johnson of all people. Think of the karma. That's awesome.

He'd previously been recognized by the LA NAACP in 2009, according to Deadspin.

Money and PR can do a lot to rehabilitate a person's reputation ... But that doesn't mean the person has changed their spots.

I'll be honest, I don't think Sterling gives a about being recorded, what he said, etc.

He's been a continuously terrible person for decades and continued on.

I agree there seems to be a lot more to this, but there are a lot of new owners that aren't buddies with Sterling (he had been protected in part by Jerry Buss) and a new commish that cannot avoid this like Stern did.

A woman I know who is a big sports fan (NYC school teacher, very liberal) posted about Sterling and was surprisingly sympathetic, saying that the gist of the tape recording probably came from his girlfriend, and in it (to hear ears) it was more about his insecurity that his girlfriend was also banging black guys with bigger than him, less than about outright racism. His girlfriend is a minority, I believe.

Im pretty sure she is going to be in deep for this.

i'd be surprised if anything less than jail and a very expensive lawsuit if the donald didnt know he was being recorded.

Some states only require the consent of one party (e.g. New York) to have the recording be legal.

I love the idea of Magic buying the team.

In the Grantland article today, Charles Pierce mentioned that a suspension won't do anything to Sterling, a 5 million dollar fine won't dent him, and selling the team will make him 1B. But the thing that could make Sterling's blood absolutely boil is being forced to sell the team to Magic Johnson of all people. Think of the karma. That's awesome.
If he gets "forced" to sell to one specific buyer I think the other owners will be really, really unhappy about that outcome.

If he gets "forced" to sell to one specific buyer I think the other owners will be really, really unhappy about that outcome.

Ditto.

And as big of a POS as I believe Sterling to be, and as bad of an owner as he has been for nearly the entire duration of his tenure with the Clippers, I am totally against him being forced to sell just because some people are offended by remarks he made in his private life.

Sterling the man is a reprehensible bigot. Sterling the owner is a complete wonk.

Ditto.

And as big of a POS as I believe Sterling to be, and as bad of an owner as he has been for nearly the entire duration of his tenure with the Clippers, I am totally against him being forced to sell just because some people are offended by remarks he made in his private life.

Sterling the man is a reprehensible bigot. Sterling the owner is a complete wonk.

It's a franchise, not his private business. If it was his private business, that is fine. But it's a franchise and a whole different ball game (no pun intended).

The other owners and the NBA absolutely have to find a way to ensure continued growth and success of the league and absolutely will push to have him removed as owner.

A billion dollar payout isn't a bad result for Sterling.