Donor Recruiting Briefing Meeting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Donor Recruiting Briefing Meeting

I hate "teaser posts" like this. Fine about the IPF stuff but don't start talking about "politics" without mentioning anything. Just don't bring it up. Because now everyone and their uncle starts posting "well chakka said there's internal unrest" when you didn't say anything.

Ok fair enough. I'll share what I can.

Allocation of funds to support the football program versus supporting all sports. Backed up by percentage allocations other ACC programs allocate to football versus Olympic sports (non SEC as that is extremely football weighted). The AD's incentive is based on the ranking of all sports combined so naturally less is invested in the football program than other ACC programs. What we don't know yet is if that same incentive for the AD will remain the same with the new Chancellor.

I would rather reallocate the ADs incentive to be based upon some sort of revenue generation model. For example, if 80% of the revenue is generated direct from the ACC is football related, then 80% of the new revenue streams should be allocated to the football program. I know in my company the sales people are rewarded the best of all of us.

Obviously you have to support Olympic sports. That's where your other and current revenue streams can and have been and can continue to be allocated to cover for those expenses including compensation. I'm just talking about the new revenue stream from the ACC.

I'm just throwing out numbers and percentages as an example as I am not privy anymore to any detail. Their is a fight going on behind the scenes for allocation of the new revenue streams generated by the ACC. Nuff said on this subject.

Allocation of funds to support the football program versus supporting all sports. Backed up by percentage allocations other ACC programs allocate to football versus Olympic sports (non SEC as that is extremely football weighted). The AD's incentive is based on the ranking of all sports combined so naturally less is invested in the football program than other ACC programs. What we don't know yet is if that same incentive for the AD will remain the same with the new Chancellor.

I would rather reallocate the ADs incentive to be based upon some sort of revenue generation model. For example, if 80% of the revenue is generated direct from the ACC is football related, then 80% of the new revenue streams should be allocated to the football program. I know in my company the sales people are rewarded the best of all of us.

Obviously you have to support Olympic sports. That's where your other and current revenue streams can and have been and can continue to be allocated to cover for those expenses including compensation. I'm just talking about the new revenue stream from the ACC.

I'm just throwing out numbers and percentages as an example as I am not privy anymore to any detail. Their is a fight going on behind the scenes for allocation of the new revenue streams generated by the ACC. Nuff said on this subject.
All this may well be under discussion. And, it may well have absolutely nothing to do with the construction of the IPF.

I was told by an official source the IPF is happening...a few snags but expected to be resolved soon.

I was told a few months ago their was still some serious funding issues and the ground breaking ceremony was for show. HOWEVER, last week I asked my friend who told me about the $$ problem and I was told donors are stepping up and IPF construction will start in the spring.

Olympic sports? You mean, like wrestling, swimming, gymnastics and all those others that SU dropped? Is the conflict really with Title IX funding, since all the new sports are women's?

Chakka,

You love your drama. Love it.

It's also why I didn't want to create a separate thread in the main football section or here and fewer people read through the recruiting section so my drama is more contained this time to the diehards. But it's probably like any other organization at times, not everyone has the same objectives or on the same page but fight for resources to accomplish what they are expected to do (to win games). It's a process on how you go about it and how you get from point A to point B that's important like getting better recruits to win more games - the football coaches need an IPF just to be on the same level with other programs to compete for the next level 4 & 5 star recruits. The coaches themselves seem so far to compete very well for 3 star recruits based upon their own personalities and connections (better than Marrone as I now can see he truly is better suited for Pro football).

As good as this class is, competing for the next level of kids is on a totally different level than where we are today with the football program. You've got to get to that next level and things like not having an IPF holds the coaching staff back. Sure they will get a few 4 star recruits in the future like they got one this year but they want to take it to a whole new level to get to a 1/3 to 1/2 of the class consisting of 4 star recruits with 1-2 5 star kid mixed in. Frustrating process so far for them including for Marrone before.

But this has been discussed too many times already so I don't want to turn it into a why do we need an IPF thread or how to fund it. My comments were based simply on last nights event outside of the new class of recruits presentation.

I sure hope the IPF is a go since Giansante and Gross have stated that steel is being constructed off-site. Would be a shame to find out that they aren't being honest because that could hurt recruiting.

I've heard similar things as chakka about the "support" that football receives from the Ath. Dept relative to the other ACC schools. The things I've heard about $ being spent in WBB and WLax is ridiculous and Gross getting a bonus on NACDA placing as opposed to other metrics needs to be corrected.

I sure hope the IPF is a go since Giansante and Gross have stated that steel is being constructed off-site. Would be a shame to find out that they aren't being honest because that could hurt recruiting.

I've heard similar things as chakka about the "support" that football receives from the Ath. Dept relative to the other ACC schools. The things I've heard about $ being spent in WBB and WLax is ridiculous and Gross getting a bonus on NACDA placing as opposed to other metrics needs to be corrected.

Are they being corrected, or is this just people finally speaking out? For all that money spent on Wlax and WBB we have no titles in Lax to show for it, and WBB has never even gotten out of the first round of the tourney. Football being underfunded has won three bowl games. Maybe we should make some changes!

To get back on topic, I'm a little surprised at how open Shafer was about the academics of a couple of the recruits. It's refreshing, but for the sake of the students, probably shouldn't be mentioned in a public forum.

Does this mean we won't have the highest paid women's tennis coach in the country anymore?

Who raved about joining the ACC and then bailed right as our inaugural season started. Honestly to me thats the beyond low. I'm kinda disgusted by him and that move at the expense of his players.

It's also why I didn't want to create a separate thread in the main football section or here and fewer people read through the recruiting section so my drama is more contained this time to the diehards. But it's probably like any other organization at times, not everyone has the same objectives or on the same page but fight for resources to accomplish what they are expected to do (to win games). It's a process on how you go about it and how you get from point A to point B that's important like getting better recruits to win more games - the football coaches need an IPF just to be on the same level with other programs to compete for the next level 4 & 5 star recruits. The coaches themselves seem so far to compete very well for 3 star recruits based upon their own personalities and connections (better than Marrone as I now can see he truly is better suited for Pro football).

As good as this class is, competing for the next level of kids is on a totally different level than where we are today with the football program. You've got to get to that next level and things like not having an IPF holds the coaching staff back. Sure they will get a few 4 star recruits in the future like they got one this year but they want to take it to a whole new level to get to a 1/3 to 1/2 of the class consisting of 4 star recruits with 1-2 5 star kid mixed in. Frustrating process so far for them including for Marrone before.

But this has been discussed too many times already so I don't want to turn it into a why do we need an IPF thread or how to fund it. My comments were based simply on last nights event outside of the new class of recruits presentation.

Whenever a large pot of incremental money is emptied into an organization, everyone within range of the falling dollars is going to be clawing each other to bits to get a bigger piece of the pie - because people are self motivated. So political scrambling and money-grubbing should be expected. THAT is why you need administrators who can see the big picture. From what little I know about this chancellor I would say he will be very good at evaluating things in a way that is realistic and forward looking. Supreme court clerks are some of the smartest guys out there, and objectivity is a requirement for the job.

Your point that Gross's bonus depends in part on overall athletic department performance is fair, but I seriously doubt that he is so short sighted to care about an extra $45k or whatever to the detriment of football. He knows he messed up football, he knows JB gets 100% of the credit for basketball, he knows he's got the non revenue sports chugging along nicely (and apparently per your earlier post with better budgets than the rest of the ACC). I don't pretend to know whether Gross wants to be the king of the castle at SU for the rest of his career or if he wants to move back west and get a big time gig. But I think for either of those things to happen he needs to fix football and I think he's smart enough to know that. Or maybe he's motivated by short-term gratification of a salary bump and I'm misjudging his ability to take the long view - if that's the case then he should go. But I don't think that's the case. I know nothing, just judging base on my limited interactions w/ him and what you can discern from his actions and statements.

That is my understanding. SS indicated Dawson is going to be okay, will play at Syracuse and is expected to enroll in January.

I wonder if he'll show up in Chenango County for prep school? I do like having them there so they can travel to the SU campus on weekends.

Who raved about joining the ACC and then bailed right as our inaugural season started. Honestly to me thats the beyond low. I'm kinda disgusted by him and that move at the expense of his players.

If he truly was dedicated there should have been better results by now. It might be for the better. I think SU needs to recruit foreign players. His US only policy was crazy. I assume the ACC due to geography is a VG Tennis Conference so there will be some opportunities for matches against better foes. Tennis is funny in they don't have to play in conference during the regular season...

Are they being corrected, or is this just people finally speaking out? For all that money spent on Wlax and WBB we have no titles in Lax to show for it, and WBB has never even gotten out of the first round of the tourney. Football being underfunded has won three bowl games. Maybe we should make some changes!
titles do not equal going to a football bowl games, no comparison, women's lax one of best in country, and WBB in and out of the top 25. Half of the D1 FB teams make a bowl game

titles do not equal going to a football bowl games, no comparison, women's lax one of best in country, and WBB in and out of the top 25. Half of the D1 FB teams make a bowl game

That's true, however I think the competition level is lower, thus the results should be higher. Perhaps WLAX has justified Gait's huge salary with FF runs, but as the highest paid coach in the country he is expected to deliver titles. Plain and simple. His colleague on the men's side has done that very frequently over the last 15 years. In terms of WBB. they have a huge support staff, bigger than the men's, and play in a power conference. Q has been on the job for 8+ years now, without a NCAA Tourney win. I don't think the baseline is title or bust for Q, but his coaching has left a lot to be desired. Also, if you've ever been to a WBB game and seen the limited fanbase, (wonder what it costs to host a game for women in the Dome vs their take at the box office) that big investment has yet to pay off even a little bit. People want a football winner and will come and support that team if they do. That support helps other programs university wide. If Gross funnels money into non-revenue sports simply to increase our directors cup points for his own personal gain, without pushing more towards the money makers at Cuse, that's bad business, and selfish in every way!

Interesting thread, and I certainly can see how everyone in this thread is correct.

It would not surprise me if the new chancellor is taking a more fiscally conservative attitude toward all spending, which I think helps football. He's likely looking at ROI instead of directors cup standings.

Which means he'll likely be skimping on non revenue sports and investing in money makers.

Would have to think there is more money being left on the table in football than any other sport.

Id be worried if I was a very well paid Coach of a non revenue sport. Jensen was at the top of the hit list.

I might also be worried if I was the guy who gave these people big contracts. Just sayin...

chakka3421 said:
Ok fair enough. I'll share what I can. Allocation of funds to support the football program versus supporting all sports. Backed up by percentage allocations other ACC programs allocate to football versus Olympic sports (non SEC as that is extremely football weighted). The AD's incentive is based on the ranking of all sports combined so naturally less is invested in the football program than other ACC programs. What we don't know yet is if that same incentive for the AD will remain the same with the new Chancellor. I would rather reallocate the ADs incentive to be based upon some sort of revenue generation model. For example, if 80% of the revenue is generated direct from the ACC is football related, then 80% of the new revenue streams should be allocated to the football program. I know in my company the sales people are rewarded the best of all of us. Obviously you have to support Olympic sports. That's where your other and current revenue streams can and have been and can continue to be allocated to cover for those expenses including compensation. I'm just talking about the new revenue stream from the ACC. I'm just throwing out numbers and percentages as an example as I am not privy anymore to any detail. Their is a fight going on behind the scenes for allocation of the new revenue streams generated by the ACC. Nuff said on this subject.

So basketball will get the lions share?

Interesting thread, and I certainly can see how everyone in this thread is correct.

It would not surprise me if the new chancellor is taking a more fiscally conservative attitude toward all spending, which I think helps football. He's likely looking at ROI instead of directors cup standings.

Let's just hope he isn't Buzz Shaw.

:)
So basketball will get the lions share?

You make me laugh with your responses to my posts. You missed my point entirely again. Unless of course you're trying to be funny to make me laugh.:D

Thanks, Tom. Great recap. We need to get you on a video blog for your game and event summaries.

and what do those results for those womens sports get you? 50 people in the stands? those sports are hemorrhaging money.

invest in football already

The steel building isn't being put together off site, its a pre engineered building that sounds like it's ordered. These companies don't put the materials, engineering together and hope to get paid later. That is my point, shite is ordered, things are moving. The construction of this building is quite simple. it's a huge puzzle that gets put together on site, LEGOS for adults really. LEGOS that my kids have not the old school ones!

and i'm anxiously awaiting work to begin.

Call the City, they are awaiting your phone call. Thanks

I am also waiting for you to put a foundation and an enormous slab on grade in place at -10 degree temp. Who wants to pay for that? Do you want to build the huge temporary dome and blow 5-6 huge propane heaters in there, while you make sure your cure and breaks are good and don't forget the 24-7 fire watch that I am sure someone will require and not to mention the cost of the propane to run the heaters for that time. At that temp, heat blankets ain't going to cut it. I am sure the tolerances on the slab on grade aren't very forgiving either. Call me crazy from the outside looking in the job was also probably proposed to have foundations and SOG in place prior to the weather. Yep, because it's really worth the risk of tearing out what would be 1,000 yards of concrete!

Just my 2 cents but nothing I haven't lived through 100 times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom