Donor Recruiting Briefing Meeting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Donor Recruiting Briefing Meeting

Wish I could do that. Maybe we need to drink more ginger ale ;)

I've sat right next to Tomcat at games and have had normal conversations with him. He is acting like a normal fan (standing, cheering, etc...) during every game I've sat with him. After the game I can hardly recall more than a dozen great/horrific plays. He'll write us "War and Peace" epic length recaps with names and formations along with advanced thoughts on strategy. Freaky recall. A treasure for our board.

BTW, I've been impressed with this staff's ability to close. It will come into play as the drama level will only intensify if we go after more Top 300 players.

That's true, however I think the competition level is lower, thus the results should be higher. Perhaps WLAX has justified Gait's huge salary with FF runs, but as the highest paid coach in the country he is expected to deliver titles. Plain and simple. His colleague on the men's side has done that very frequently over the last 15 years. In terms of WBB. they have a huge support staff, bigger than the men's, and play in a power conference. Q has been on the job for 8+ years now, without a NCAA Tourney win. I don't think the baseline is title or bust for Q, but his coaching has left a lot to be desired. Also, if you've ever been to a WBB game and seen the limited fanbase, (wonder what it costs to host a game for women in the Dome vs their take at the box office) that big investment has yet to pay off even a little bit. People want a football winner and will come and support that team if they do. That support helps other programs university wide. If Gross funnels money into non-revenue sports simply to increase our directors cup points for his own personal gain, without pushing more towards the money makers at Cuse, that's bad business, and selfish in every way!
there are so much BS here, my head is spinning. Competition level is lower? Money justifies expectations? Do you have daughters who plays sports? I am at a loss to respond to this. I know, lets just jettison all woman's sports, because guys like you don't give a.

there are so much BS here, my head is spinning. Competition level is lower? Money justifies expectations? Do you have daughters who plays sports? I am at a loss to respond to this. I know, lets just jettison all woman's sports, because guys like you don't give a.

I'm sorry, but I didn't say that AT ALL. By saying the competition level is lower, I'm was saying that THERE ARE LESS FREAKING TEAMS, and more of an opportunity to become a dominant program in the country. There are 91 women's D1 lax teams total, 78 D 1 field hockey teams. 36 Women's Ice Hockey teams TOTAL. Women's Bball is the outlier and a very well supported sport universally, more than likely because its cheap.

In terms of reaching AD goals, maybe WLax has achieved those, but I would guess TGD doesn't celebrate FF runs with Gait. He preaches titles. WBB has been very middle of the pack, despite their HUGE budget. They have a lot of competition, but some on this board were calling for Q's head earlier this year and certainly last year for not capitalizing on his great recruiting and opportunity. Their best win in porgram history, last week at UNC was wonderful, however, it seems UNC has fallen off the map losing to unranked Georgia Tech the other day. Let's hope this is the year we can win one or two in March. Women's tennis never justified Jensen's contract, and then he fled like a coward before playing the ACC schedule he raved about last year. I have no words for that! I feel terrible for his team!

You can honestly say that money doesn't justify expectations? This is business! Not pee wee everyone gets a trophy athletics. So, basically Duke is paying K 7 mil because they don't need to win? You pay for results, in mens and women's sports. Now if you wanna debate what those results are expected to be, I'm all for it. I'm not sitting in the war room with the AD discussing it, so I can only speculate. I do remember a certain AD saying that we want championships, and then going out and PAYING the best coaches he could, to get them. Economically the return has not been there. Am I condoning stripping those sports from the books. Of course not. I support every sport at SU. I have been to women's lax, ice hockey, field hockey, basketball, softball, etc., games this past year personally. Heck I went to the women's FF in lax a few years back. (Amazingly frustrating sport by the way, the fact you can hold the ball indefinitely with no checking. Ugh, we should have beat NW!) I'd go to everything if I could. Do not spin what I wrote to make me sound like a chauvinist pig, because that is NOT what I was saying at all. I was simply defending the idea of putting more money into football, because the payout would be greater and thus help the athletic department and all its teams. Far more revered posters on this board then I, insinuated just the other day that the new Chancellor would be taking a long look at how we've put money into Olympic sports at the expense of our money makers in football and bball. Nancy "ain't" in charge anymore.

I apologize if my points sound rambling. I was emotionally connected to your assertion that I was condoning the stripping of women's sports, which made me furious! You never truly have sound judgement when your angry!

Last edited:

I think the point is when you have non-revenue programs that are chugging along doing well, when you get a large new pot of money you might want to think about applying that in a way that will give you a return on your investment - so put it into the revenue generators. I don't think there is anything sexist in that, it's called reality. (edit- is there some sort of autocorrect that spaces out the first three letters of the word sexist? weird).

I think the point is when you have non-revenue programs that are chugging along doing well, when you get a large new pot of money you might want to think about applying that in a way that will give you a return on your investment - so put it into the revenue generators. I don't think there is anything s e x ist in that, it's called reality. (edit- is there some sort of autocorrect that spaces out the first three letters of the word s e x ist? weird).

ROI is a dirty word these days.

I'm sorry, but I didn't say that AT ALL. By saying the competition level is lower, I'm was saying that THERE ARE LESS FREAKING TEAMS, and more of an opportunity to become a dominant program in the country. There are 91 women's D1 lax teams total, 78 D 1 field hockey teams. 36 Women's Ice Hockey teams TOTAL. Women's Bball is the outlier and a very well supported sport universally, more than likely because its cheap.

To be fair, there are probably significantly less prospects to recruit as well. And less prospects means less elite prospects, etc. It's all relative. So I don't know if I necessarily agree with it being any easier to become dominant.

Philips:

Another captain. SS says he will start at RB. Loves his ability to make catches out of the backfield. Says he has great hips and outstanding acceleration, a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. Said only 3 players in Connecticut history have more TDs and rushing yards than Ervin.
This sounded weird to me so I looked it up... He might have been talking about Arkeel Newsome, who committed to UConn, and is probably #1 in both. Phillips wasn't even in the top 25 in either category coming into the season and probably wouldn't be in the top 10 now. Will know definitively next August when they release the #s.

This sounded weird to me so I looked it up... He might have been talking about Arkeel Newsome, who committed to UConn, and is probably #1 in both. Phillips wasn't even in the top 25 in either category coming into the season and probably wouldn't be in the top 10 now. Will know definitively next August when they release the #s.

Yes, Newsome is first in both categories. 10,000+ yards and 168 TDs.

I was told by the person who would know that the IPF will take exactly 3 months to go up and that it will be done by September.

Imagine that. But wait!! Wait!!! Why aren't they working now!!!! I want me an oompah loompah

I heard 4.5 months. Start mid March, done and punched out 100% by 8/1. The square footage is enormous but not much guts.

FWIW. I love the drama though. THEY ARE GOING TO WAIT 3 YEARS!!!!.

Not sure how I should take being called a drama queen from the ultimate "Drama Queen" himself. Is that a compliment or an insult or both?

IthacaBarrel said:
Imagine that. But wait!! Wait!!! Why aren't they working now!!!! I want me an oompah loompah I heard 4.5 months. Start mid March, done and punched out 100% by 8/1. The square footage is enormous but not much guts.

You're funny. Was it winter from last May till October? No. Issues will get worked out but they aren't yet and winter is the least of it.

Btw, you're in the "business". Surprised you don't recognize the difference between 3 months and 4.5 months. That's a 150% difference in schedule. In my business, that would be a big problem. So what is it? Eyes 3 months or your 4.5? Time is money.

You're funny. Was it winter from last May till October? No. Issues will get worked out but they aren't yet and winter is the least of it.

Btw, you're in the "business". Surprised you don't recognize the difference between 3 months and 4.5 months. That's a 150% difference in schedule. In my business, that would be a big problem. So what is it? Eyes 3 months or your 4.5? Time is money.
Devil is in the details. Both time frames could be accurate depending on the starting point.

Unfortunately, way too much money is being spent on assistants to do DG's job and no where near enough on other vital areas like academic support for student athletes. Tommy Powell, who is a good guy, was brought in to head that department. However, he struggles to get the financial support he needs to run a quality program. Once again, way to many high priced administrators and not enugh worker bees and other resources.

3 months to 4.5 months is huge in elapsed time but that doesnt always mean something in contruction projects. they could mean the same thing. perhaps one has some dead time build in because they wont work during commencement or summer camps? who knows.

Bees stick to what you know please. Which is being grumpy not construction.

Was just passing along what I heard on the schedule, I will be sure to put together a critical path schedule on it to meet your requirements for internet banter Time is money? Were you watching wall st last night? What. Easy buddy fox, you may need to buy more teldar.

Last edited:
Bees stick to what you know please. Which is being grumpy not construction.

Was just passing along what I heard on the schedule, I will be sure to put together a critical path on it to meet your requirements for internet banter Time is money? Were you watching wall st last night? What. Easy buddy fox, you may need to buy more teldar.

Just keeping you informed on what is really going on.

BTW, you don't "put together" a critical path.

Last edited:
Thanks bees, I appreciate it. I really do.

But stick to hanging out at Home Depot and hanging pictures on the wall for your old lady before you hurt yourself.

So maybe SU is just looking for cheap labour and trying to find these Oompa Loompas and worker bees that some have mentioned? That could be the delay.

This is like that inevitable thanksgiving when everyone in the family regresses to their 14 year old selves and start verbally destroying one another for everything bad that has ever happened. Passive aggressive turns to aggressive, and everything just comes out. By the time Christmas rolls around all is well and the presents appear under the tree. I want an IPF this year Santa!

That is my understanding. SS indicated Dawson is going to be okay, will play at Syracuse and is expected to enroll in January.

Very encouraging news here. Particularly the comment about the virus. Aplastic anemia can be caused by a virus called parvovirus- almost everyone gets parvovirus growing up. Luckily does not typically cause aplastic anemia. Luckily when it does cause aplastic anemia it is typically self limited. Will keep my fingers crossed on this one, and not because of Cuse football. Some people with aplastic anemia can be on meds for a very long period of time that weaken the immune system. Others even need a bone marrow transplant. Would be great news for Lamar football or not.

Very encouraging news here. Particularly the comment about the virus. Aplastic anemia can be caused by a virus called parvovirus- almost everyone gets parvovirus growing up. Luckily does not typically cause aplastic anemia. Luckily when it does cause aplastic anemia it is typically self limited. Will keep my fingers crossed on this one, and not because of Cuse football. Some people with aplastic anemia can be on meds for a very long period of time that weaken the immune system. Others even need a bone marrow transplant. Would be great news for Lamar football or not.
Thanks for that info.

Thought I read in one of the recent articles on Lamar that the plan is to put him on a drug regiment that suppresses the immune system for 3 months, then turn him loose and hope all is well. I would assume that if he needs to stay on immunosuppressive drugs indefinitely, it would end his football career.

Seems like a great kid from a terrific family. I really hope he gets a chance to return to football. If not, let's at least pray he is able to live a long, productive life and get a degree from Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom