Donovan McNabb talks Fran Brown, NIL, Kyle McCord | Syracusefan.com

Donovan McNabb talks Fran Brown, NIL, Kyle McCord

Really interesting to hear him imply the communication to alumni is better with Fran than it was with Dino. Can an insider share details?

I mean how do you exist in this job without treating alumnus like gold?

I don't think there was any implying, I think he came flat out and said it, just watching his words.

I can't understand why any coach would not want famous alumni that want to support the university and your football team to help with recruiting or whatever. Seems crazy to not take advantage of them if they are willing
I think Dino was scared to have guys around that really knew football because they would see Dino didn’t have a clue.We all saw how inept he was with in game decisions and I imagine he didn’t want guys to get close up views of how bad he really was at this head coaching stuff.

I think Dino was scared to have guys around that really knew football because they would see Dino didn’t have a clue.We all saw how inept he was with in game decisions and I imagine he didn’t want guys to get close up views of how bad he really was at this head coaching stuff.
Ding ding ding

Really interesting to hear him imply the communication to alumni is better with Fran than it was with Dino. Can an insider share details?

I mean how do you exist in this job without treating alumnus like gold?

Coach Fran is hosting an alumni event during the spring game, did a Zoom with alumns to share his vision, and has had several practices which he not only encouraged alums to attend but said he wanted us there.

I have nothing against Dino and wanted him to succeed but his office had pictures of people he coached during his career, for example Garoppolo. Coach Fran has put up pictures of past Orange greats. He is all about the school and not himself.

The alums are one piece of Coach Fran’s plan. Amazing to see him execute what he outlined on day one.

Dino was not against alums but unfortunately he did not use them to his advantage.

Coach Fran is hosting an alumni event during the spring game, did a Zoom with alumns to share his vision, and has had several practices which he not only encouraged alums to attend but said he wanted us there.

I have nothing against Dino and wanted him to succeed but his office had pictures of people he coached during his career, for example Garoppolo. Coach Fran has put up pictures of past Orange greats. He is all about the school and not himself.

The alums are one piece of Coach Fran’s plan. Amazing to see him execute what he outlined on day one.

Dino was not against alums but unfortunately he did not use them to his advantage.
To watch that podcast of Coach Fran and how absolutely giddy he was about having Jim Browns jersey tells me everything I need to know about him…he’s special and we are lucky.

He’s going to win. Bigly

Imo, Dino was unbelievable insecure. Whether it was induced because he knew he wasn't qualified or if he really believed he needed to hide schemes from opponents, we'll probably never know.

For me, the most bizarre rule he implemented was not allowing asst coaches, not even coordinators, to talk to the press. Talk about paranoid!

Imo, Dino was unbelievable insecure. Whether it was induced because he knew he wasn't qualified or if he really believed he needed to hide schemes from opponents, we'll probably never know.

For me, the most bizarre rule he implemented was not allowing asst coaches, not even coordinators, to talk to the press. Talk about paranoid!
Guess he saw it worked for John Thompson decades ago. :) I recall that at the dome when Thompson’s Hoyas were practicing before a game with us, his immense paranoia was visibly displayed. He stopped practice, yelled for security saying that someone was watching their practice and they better get him out of the dome. He pointed where he saw the person and security ran up to show him that the person was just a plant. He demanded that the plant be removed. He wouldn’t allow players talk to the press back then.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!

This makes sense too

So am I recalling correctly that Donovan was the guy during the coaching search who led a small contingent pushing JW to go in another direction or was that another? Glad he is drinking the cool aid now if so.
People focused to much on Dino. No SU coaches for the last 25 years have welcomed alumni OR have recruited at the levels HCFB and his group are doing. Let me repeat no one has in 25 years. If HCFB can win his first couple years and bowl well he will have done a, I would argue, a unicorn change of a program.

How does this explain the lack of alumni involvement in previous regimes? As much as some like to blame Dino for all that’s gone wrong with SU football, this problem didn’t start with him.
Spot on. Shafer and Robinson were even worse with alums. Don’t think this should be a dig on Dino but more of a testament to Coach Fran.

Coach Fran is embracing all of the tools available to sell the program. Outside of alums he is trying to get the community more involved, promoting our history, the power of our overall national alumni network, anything unique we have to offer…including snow and a dome. This and his authenticity are the difference between him and past coaches this far.

If he can coach half as good as his start to running the program we are in for a special run. Really excited that we have Coach Fran.

So am I recalling correctly that Donovan was the guy during the coaching search who led a small contingent pushing JW to go in another direction or was that another? Glad he is drinking the cool aid now if so.
People focused to much on Dino. No SU coaches for the last 25 years have welcomed alumni OR have recruited at the levels HCFB and his group are doing. Let me repeat no one has in 25 years. If HCFB can win his first couple years and bowl well he will have done a, I would argue, a unicorn change of a program.
Donovan was part of the interview committee that met FB down in Atlanta after the Georgia/Georgia Tech game. From every account, there was no disagreement that FB wasn’t the right guy after that. He wowed folks. He wanted the job and took it. I’m sure Donovan and others had different names to start. But there’s something inspiring about a guy like FB who knows what he wants and fights for it. His whole life story is inspiring. Everyone should listen to the long form podcast he did with Thamel and ESPN.

I really think it was a way for Dino to hide scheme. Whether that was due to lack of significant amount of playmakers and made the team one dimensional or the scheme from staff did that naturally.

I think we need to remember where this program was before Dino got here as well. And the steps he took. He got rid of soda at the facilty, wsnted a better food menu, implemented what was then a more strict s&t regiment.

He was exactly what the program needed. He laid down a foundation. And I think ADJW made the right decision to take this program to the next step with HCFB. Still going off back to back bowl appearances. 2018 will always be a very special year.

Fran is doing something I've never seen before as a fan. It's amazing right now. That shouldn't be a knock on Dino in any way imo.

Spot on. Shafer and Robinson were even worse with alums. Don’t think this should be a dig on Dino but more of a testament to Coach Fran.

Coach Fran is embracing all of the tools available to sell the program. Outside of alums he is trying to get the community more involved, promoting our history, the power of our overall national alumni network, anything unique we have to offer…including snow and a dome. This and his authenticity are the difference between him and past coaches this far.

If he can coach half as good as his start to running the program we are in for a special run. Really excited that we have Coach Fran.

Great post

No, you are probably remembering Quadry and other unnamed alumni pushing for David Walker in this thread.

Watching the Knicks last night and Monica McNutt was interviewing Miles McBride and was asked who he idolized as a youngster and he said Donovan McNabb. Loved that he played basketball and was a QB as well. Mcbride did both in high school.

In this day of "moneyball" They are going to need to reach out to all Alumni for help and support. Over the years they have burned some bridges with a lot of alumni. With coach Browns Charisma they maybe can bring some of them back.
If they want a DJ before a game how about Rony Seikaly
how about a national anthem sung by Vanessa Williams
How about some motivation songs by Bill Joel I mean the Boston Red Sox use sweet Caroline , how about the Piano Man .
How about a documentary on the number 44 narrated by one of the great voices in sports Bob Costas
How about a pregame roster starters done by either Mike Tirico or Marvin Yes Albert

the total alumni should be involved and Syracuse has a lot of alumni not only in the Football world but sports and non sports alike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom