Don't Blame Marrone, Syracuse Isn't a Destination Program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't Blame Marrone, Syracuse Isn't a Destination Program

I think Doug could have handled it a little better (text players) but this is a coach who knew a few months ago that he had a good chance of getting fired.

There are a ton of easy wins in the ACC the conference blows outside FSU and Clemson. And the fact we aren't a huge name anymore means we have a good chance against both of those 2 teams I don't know if either can get up for Syracuse assuming we don't go into their stadiums undefeated late in the year.

Anyone jealous of Rutgers can go root for them. They are a joke program, Boston College has more history than them and loots down on Butgers and that school has done nothing other than throw a lucky pass, have gambling scandals, and dominate the ACC a couple years when it was fortunate enough to leave the BE for it.

The program is in good shape. Wait until we get 9 or 10 wins to say whether or not we can make that next push. I think we can.

I don't think its much of a challenge for the next coach to keep the program where Marrone has it right now. Unless you really up we're absolutely going to win 7 games every year give or take a win. And I think some of the possibilities for the next coach are far more likely to get us to 10 wins than Marrone.

I disagree about that. Syracuse will never, ever, ever be a destination program. The job could be held in higher regard than it is now, but it will never be on the level where Florida, Alabama, USC, Texas, Ohio State, etc are. It could be a destination for SOME candidates, but only if they are not good enough to go to higher level.

Then you have a weird definition of "destination"... since you picked out football factories for whom academics are bottom priority (does the Roll Tide even have classes?). We may not be ivy league, but we're an excellent school with a strong academic tradition ... a category in which none of your "dream" schools fits (although USC and, more marginally, Texas, are decent).

My definition of "destination" is a SCHOOL, first of all, with a strong academic and FB tradition, second and third. ND fits this. So does Michigan, which is 5 times the school that OSU is ... but fails by your limited definition (pure number of wins without ANY other considerations).

You can add Michigan, that's fine. I didn't list EVERY destination program, just a few. The fact of the matter, though, is that many head coaches (most?) don't give a rat's ass about the school's academic reputation. About graduating players? Maybe. But about how many future Nobel Prize winners are graduating? C'mon.

And, not for nothing, but I believe it was DOUG MARONE who defined SU as a destination by saying it was his dream job. Those were his words, and now you're berating the school to justify your argument.

At the time I'm sure it was, and maybe he wouldn't have left for any bigger college jobs (probably wouldn't have, and I commend him for that), but that can change over time and I'm not going to rip him for it. What would you have liked him to say at his opening press conference? "This is a great job, but if the NFL ever comes calling I'm outta here!"

Marone had a vision for SU that many of us share, but you apparently don't. And that's fine.

My vision for SU football is being consistently in the top 40 programs, flirting with the top-25 more often than not and hopefully 1-3 years a decade being in realistic contention to go to a major bowl game. I think that is ambitious, but possible and sustainable.

I suggest a steady diet of SEC (you won't hear about any academic casualties, trust me).

I'll never be a fan of an SEC school, but I respect them for what they are. I went to SU, I love SU football and I will always love SU football -- but I'm still realistic about it.

I think Doug could have handled it a little better (text players) but this is a coach who knew a few months ago that he had a good chance of getting fired.

There are a ton of easy wins in the ACC the conference blows outside FSU and Clemson. And the fact we aren't a huge name anymore means we have a good chance against both of those 2 teams I don't know if either can get up for Syracuse assuming we don't go into their stadiums undefeated late in the year.

Anyone jealous of Rutgers can go root for them. They are a joke program, Boston College has more history than them and loots down on Butgers and that school has done nothing other than throw a lucky pass, have gambling scandals, and dominate the ACC a couple years when it was fortunate enough to leave the BE for it.

The program is in good shape. Wait until we get 9 or 10 wins to say whether or not we can make that next push. I think we can.

I don't think its much of a challenge for the next coach to keep the program where Marrone has it right now. Unless you really **** up we're absolutely going to win 7 games every year give or take a win. And I think some of the possibilities for the next coach are far more likely to get us to 10 wins than Marrone.

I agree with the majority of this post, although I'd say it's a bit of a challenge for the next coach. I guess it's more of a challenge for Gross to choose the right successor. A good coach shouldn't have any problem keeping us where we're at.

The only other thing I disagree with is that there are a ton of easy wins in the ACC for us. SU isn't at the level yet to take any win for granted against a BCS conference school. We SHOULD win many of those games, but that doesn't make them easy wins we can take for granted. I also wouldn't say we have a good chance against FSU and Clemson, but I also wouldn't say we have no chance and can't compete.

The thing is, none of what you said or I just said means that we are a destination program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom