Don't fret: ACC Network is Moving Forward..and other plans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't fret: ACC Network is Moving Forward..and other plans

I disagree with this after the Men's Final Four and BCS Championship game the Lacrosse Final 4 gets more people than the CWS. or NCAA hockey tournament. Its more like this
1. Football

2. Basketball

3. Lacrosse

4. Baseball

5. Hockey

I take it you've never been to a frozen four. It's also not about the tournament, but putting fannies in the seats for home games. Most places outside of SU, lax doesn't do it.

Even though Duke won the Lax Championship it barely made the news in Carolina. Baseball has been another story entirely...but perhaps that has something to do with where the ACC Baseball Tourney was held. You guessed it..Greensboro.

Lax will be ACC Network Filler and is currently on ESPN/2/U

While not a revenue sport yet...it gives you TV exposure.

JHU and SU are the two biggest Lax brand names.

I feel like people have been saying this for years, but the sport still hasn't exploded like it was estimated.

That doesn't mean I don't like the sport. I love that SU dominates it. But between SU, UVA, Duke, UNC, ND, and (Insert ACC Team that will soon have lacrosse), there's no need for an associate member like JHU. One associate member is enough, and we have the biggest fish in that department locked up.

The only sports that make money are Football, Basketball, and Ice Hockey. There are no others.

For each sport as a whole, you are correct. But there are individual programs in many other sports that make money--e.g., UConn and Tenn women's hoops, Miami baseball, etc.

You can make a little money on Lacrosse and Baseball. It is by all means much smaller than football and basketball. The stadiums are smaller too, or if you play lacrosse in a football stadium the crowds are. UVA played lacrosse in Ohio State's football stadium last year, and the crowd was swallowed by empty seats. It looked ridiculous. Maybe Gordon Gee can get them a real lacrosse stadium with "more money than God" before he leaves Ohio State next month.

I think baseball season tickets at UVA are $175.00 - $200.00 depending on the section in the stadium and Lacrosse $50.00. Then again there are more baseball games played. It's not as much as football and basketball, but it's something.

Have ypou watched an lacrosse game at UVA?

I have seen several. The baseball field is close to the lacrosse field.

Typically there are thousands of fans at the lacrosse games and a handful watching baseball even though its against an ACC rival.

If UVA is any example, lacrosse ---where offered simultaneously ---dominates baseball in terms of fan interest.

Alsacs, I nominate you to go over to the boneyard R board and let them know the bad news about the acc tv network still being an option.
I went to the UConn board this morning and they actually had a thread about weak the ACC GOR is and how UConn/UVA to the B1G makes sense and because FSU's AD was forced to retire they are looking to bail. I now officially declare that board WVU level of anti-ACC agenda that I will no longer visit.

Have ypou watched an lacrosse game at UVA?

I have seen several. The baseball field is close to the lacrosse field.

Typically there are thousands of fans at the lacrosse games and a handful watching baseball even though its against an ACC rival.

If UVA is any example, lacrosse ---where offered simultaneously ---dominates baseball in terms of fan interest.
millions upon millions of people, eschew their barbecues and 1st weekend of the beach, to sit inside and watch the lax F4 and champ game every Memorial Day weekend...

niche sport.

college baseball likely cleans its clock both live and on tv.

ditto the hockey.

Oh Lord

millions upon millions of people, eschew their barbecues and 1st weekend of the beach, to sit inside and watch the lax F4 and champ game every Memorial Day weekend...

niche sport.

ditto the hockey.

Oh Lord

I've always figured the 3 to be about even. At least when you stack them up against football or basketball. But to me, no matter which ones are out in front of the 3 B-list college sports, they are so far behind the big 2 that I don't think any major conference should be adding an associate member because of how they play in any of them.

niche sport.

ditto the hockey.

Oh Lord

So when I sat in the lacrosse venue with thousands of others and saw the UVA baseball game with almost no observers, it was a mirage?

I agree that college baseball is a bigger deal nationally. And on TV.

But when the two are paired up, the Lax dominates like at UVA and like at Maryland. I go to Georgetown Lax games. When they had a baseball field on campus almost adjacent to the lax field (on the roof of Yates), the same thing was true. There were big crowds at the lacrosse game and no one watched the baseball game that was going on at the same time.

So when I sat in the lacrosse venue with thousands of others and saw the UVA baseball game with almost no observers, it was a mirage?

I agree that college baseball is a bigger deal nationally. And on TV.

But when the two are paired up, the Lax dominates like at UVA and like at Maryland. I go to Georgetown Lax games. When they had a baseball field on campus almost adjacent to the lax field (on the roof of Yates), the same thing was true. There were big crowds at the lacrosse game and no one watched the baseball game that was going on at the same time.
not sure what your point is. you found a college where the niche sport out draws the mainstream one. congrats.

boston college gets an 8k sellout for hockey game on a monday and then we make fun of them when they get 6k on a tuesday for hoop.

Lacrosse has two things going for it. 1) it's spreading. Look at Denver, and the influx of players from California and Arizona etc. It is not football or basketball, and never will be. But while baseball has maxed out, lacrosse is still in the expansion mode. 2) And note, this will sound decidedly politically incorrect, but it is a reality. There are lots of kids out there who will never rise to a high level in basketball or football. Lacrosse is a sport where they can have success. Maybe even get to college playing the sport -- albeit having to share a partial scholarship.

Just to be clear, AGAIN, I wasn't talking about lacrosse participation, or attendance. I was talking about the sport being meaningful in terms of it's media relevance. Because media relevance is where meaningful revenue is generated. At least the kind of meaningful revenue that would cause a conference to expand.

The point, again, is that lacrosse is not a critical pillar of a B1G strategy to take over some region of the country. Adding JHU was a means to a very specific end.

Alsacs, I nominate you to go over to the boneyard R board and let them know the bad news about the acc tv network still being an option.

According to that board, this article spells doom for the ACC. (Seriously, they think that Virginia to the ACC is a matter of time because of this article)

Just to be clear, AGAIN, I wasn't talking about lacrosse participation, or attendance. I was talking about the sport being meaningful in terms of it's media relevance. Because media relevance is where meaningful revenue is generated. At least the kind of meaningful revenue that would cause a conference to expand.

Pitt won their second consecutive national Ultimate Frisbee championship this year; which was broadcast on ESPN3 right after the lax championship. That's why we took the Panthers, right? We just gotta lock those rights up for the ACCN.

2) And note, this will sound decidedly politically incorrect, but it is a reality. There are lots of kids out there who will never rise to a high level in basketball or football. Lacrosse is a sport where they can have success. Maybe even get to college playing the sport -- albeit having to share a partial scholarship.

I don't know what "politically correct" (an over-used term, and one who's original meaning has nearly been lost) has to do with this.

There are some sports where size can be a limiting factor, if not a determining one--football and basketball, for example.

Lacrosse and baseball don't fit that template. The small man can still compete, and excel--see Mikey Powell and Dustin Pedroia.

Lacrosse and baseball don't fit that template. The small man can still compete, and excel--see Mikey Powell and Dustin Pedroia.

Less so than they used to.

Pitt won their second consecutive national Ultimate Frisbee championship this year; which was broadcast on ESPN3 right after the lax championship. That's why we took the Panthers, right? We just gotta lock those rights up for the ACCN.
This OT, but the best zipper format for the ACC would be using these as the zipper teams and while I think the division on the right would be tougher is how I would do it.
Duke-Wake
North Carolina-NC State
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Miami-Florida State
Pittsburgh-Louisville
Georgia Tech-Clemson

Less so than they used to.

Well, this year's Tewaarton finalists--2 are 6', the other 3 are 5-10 or -11. They all weigh around 190 pounds. Not exactly huge.

Well, this year's Tewaarton finalists--2 are 6', the other 3 are 5-10 or -11. They all weigh around 190 pounds. Not exactly huge.

But you must recognize that overall lacrosse players are becoming bigger. No?

This OT, but the best zipper format for the ACC would be using these as the zipper teams and while I think the division on the right would be tougher is how I would do it.
Duke-Wake
North Carolina-NC State
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Miami-Florida State
Pittsburgh-Louisville
Georgia Tech-Clemson

Yep, with the current format, the zipper got stuck in Virginia.

not sure what your point is. you found a college where the niche sport out draws the mainstream one. congrats.

boston college gets an 8k sellout for hockey game on a monday and then we make fun of them when they get 6k on a tuesday for hoop.

I guess my point is that when given a choice between watching top flight college lacrosse and top flight college baseball, the crowds heavily favor lacrosse. I expect hat to continue as lacrosse spreads.

I agree that where it is played college hockey is a big deal. But if lacrosse is a niche sport than so is hockey.

Baseball is a bigger deal because so many schools play it. But except at a few, crowds are small and support is tepid. I had a friend whose son played at Maryland so I have been to a lot of Terps baseball games. Never a problem finding a seat on the first base line for any ACC game. And ACC baseball is very good.