Don't fret: ACC Network is Moving Forward..and other plans | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Don't fret: ACC Network is Moving Forward..and other plans

But you must recognize that overall lacrosse players are becoming bigger. No?

It's still a sport in which 6'3" and 210 lbs is "big". And in which 4.7 sec 40 yd dashes are "fast".

There isn't a comparison between lacrosse players as athletes and those who play the big time sports.

I guess my point is that when given a choice between watching top flight college lacrosse and top flight college baseball, the crowds heavily favor lacrosse. I expect hat to continue as lacrosse spreads.

I agree that where it is played college hockey is a big deal. But if lacrosse is a niche sport than so is hockey.

Baseball is a bigger deal because so many schools play it. But except at a few, crowds are small and support is tepid. I had a friend whose son played at Maryland so I have been to a lot of Terps baseball games. Never a problem finding a seat on the first base line for any ACC game. And ACC baseball is very good.

Marathons tend to be very well attended. No one watches them on TV.

The latter is what is important for this conversation.

It's still a sport in which 6'3" and 210 lbs is "big". And in which 4.7 sec 40 yd dashes are "fast".

There isn't a comparison between lacrosse players as athletes and those who play the big time sports.

Which was my original point.

Pitt won their second consecutive national Ultimate Frisbee championship this year; which was broadcast on ESPN3 right after the lax championship. That's why we took the Panthers, right? We just gotta lock those rights up for the ACCN.
If we were smart, we would have joined the ACC as Ultimate Frisbee only.

Lacrosse players are guys that couldn't make the hockey team

Not in Maryland.

Hockey players here are those who are desperate for a varsity letter in something.

Not in Maryland.

Hockey players here are those who are desperate for a varsity letter in something.

The level of hockey here in Maryland is turrrrrble.

Doesn't seem like you can discount any sport, even if it's following is pretty regional, when it comes to the ACC Network. Syracuse/ACC Lacrosse probably matters, possibly even UCONN women's basketball could someday matter.

That said, it's hard to imagine that JHU lacrosse would have gotten the ACC Network on in Maryland. That's probably a bridge too far. Considering that most people in any given area are not even sports fans, then not college fans, then not ACC fans, etc, even if JHU lacrosse has a huge following as far as lacrosse circles go, I can't imagine that's enough. And even among the fanatics, nobody in the market is going clamor for a network when they don't have a dog in the fight outside that sport and season. Even if you are mostly a SU or UVA lacrosse fan, the network still has some value for you with football, basketball, baseball, etc.

Bottom line, you can't say that lacrosse is meaningless anymore, I don't think. But I'm pretty sure adding JHU lacrosse wouldn't have had any significant impact.

Hockey players are guys who could not make the basketball team, have missing teeth, and smell.

Have ypou watched an lacrosse game at UVA?

I have seen several. The baseball field is close to the lacrosse field.

Typically there are thousands of fans at the lacrosse games and a handful watching baseball even though its against an ACC rival.

If UVA is any example, lacrosse ---where offered simultaneously ---dominates baseball in terms of fan interest.

You and I both know UVa isn't a typical experience.

I don't know what "politically correct" (an over-used term, and one who's original meaning has nearly been lost) has to do with this.

There are some sports where size can be a limiting factor, if not a determining one--football and basketball, for example.

Lacrosse and baseball don't fit that template. The small man can still compete, and excel--see Mikey Powell and Dustin Pedroia.

It's a niche sport for upperclass kids. Read The Washington Post during lax season, see where the teams are and overlay it on an income map of the region. It's all the same kids.

You and I both know UVa isn't a typical experience.

Yeah, but I have seen almost the same thing at Maryland where the football/lacrosse field is right next to the baseball field.

I'll give you that when I have gone to UVA for a Lax game its been with SU as the visitor. So that may be part of the wide gulf between Lax and baseball at UVA.

Another ridiculous post with no relevance and no real added value, other than to offend. Is it really necessary?

Yeah, but I have seen almost the same thing at Maryland where the football/lacrosse field is right next to the baseball field.

I'll give you that when I have gone to UVA for a Lax game its been with SU as the visitor. So that may be part of the wide gulf between Lax and baseball at UVA.

Minor league hockey outdraws the best collegiate lacrosse programs.

So I guess we'll be seeing an AHL network any day now, right?

:D

I'm 39 and I can't imagine lacrosse will be a "revenue sport" in my lifetime. College baseball is FAR more popular and it's not a revenue sport.

And JHU may be a great diehard lax fan brand, but they don't appeal to a broader audience. Part of the college lax challenge is that many of its top programs are from private, small alum/fan base schools. Basically the opposite of college baseball.

The ACCN will eventually have great content with lacrosse. There are no little sister of the poor in this league. Every game is a huge clash of national powers.

Even though Duke won the Lax Championship it barely made the news in Carolina. Baseball has been another story entirely...but perhaps that has something to do with where the ACC Baseball Tourney was held. You guessed it..Greensboro.

Actually, the 2013 ACC Baseball Tournament was held at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park (DBAP) in Durham, NC.

The 2012 ACCBT was held in Greensboro, at the New Bridge Bank Ballpark (NBBBP). :)

Have ypou watched an lacrosse game at UVA?

I have seen several. The baseball field is close to the lacrosse field.

Typically there are thousands of fans at the lacrosse games and a handful watching baseball even though its against an ACC rival.

If UVA is any example, lacrosse ---where offered simultaneously ---dominates baseball in terms of fan interest.

Yes, and it depends on how the teams are doing and who the games are against. Syracuse -UVA lacrosse is a big rivalry for the UVA Lacrosse fans. When Drexel comes, they don't get as big a crowd. It also depends on how recently you were at UVA when both had games going on. The UVA enthusiasm for Lacrosse has been there for decades. Enthusiasm for UVA baseball is a recent thing since Brian O'Connor has become the coach in the past 10 years. UVA is hosting a NCAA super regional this weekend, and it is sold out.

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060513aad.html

There has been good attendance for baseball recently, and Lacrosse has maintained its interest too. There were a few instances this spring where both were near capacity at the same time, and the school has been trying to schedule so that one game flows into the other and fans can attend both while they are there. Both stadiums are side by side as you state.

My point is that both can make some revenue. It might not cover all the expenses and fun other sports. But every little bit helps.

Even though Duke won the Lax Championship it barely made the news in Carolina.

Well, yeah ... but that is because Duke won. Just another bad day for breathing. If UNC had won, a whole 'nother story:

charlotte-pages.jpg

It's a niche sport for upperclass kids. Read The Washington Post during lax season, see where the teams are and overlay it on an income map of the region. It's all the same kids.

Well, Carthage, NY (home of the 3 SU Powells) is hardly a haven for the upper class.

Actually, the 2013 ACC Baseball Tournament was held at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park (DBAP) in Durham, NC.

The 2012 ACCBT was held in Greensboro, at the New Bridge Bank Ballpark (NBBBP). :)

I stand corrected kind sir...it was only BB and Swim and Dive that were held in Tourney Town NC. ;)

Well, Carthage, NY (home of the 3 SU Powells) is hardly a haven for the upper class.

Understood, but CNY is the outlier in that. It's far more ingrained there.

Another ridiculous post with no relevance and no real added value, other than to offend. Is it really necessary?
lighten up francis.