Don't shoot the messenger | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
I haven't caught up on all of the threads from yesterday and today, but wanted to put this out there.

Have a friend who works as the right hand guy to someone high up at a Big Ten school. Hearing that Syracuse's name has come up multiple times in realignment.

Not saying anything is happening, nor do I want them to, but there's possibly a little bit of smoke out there. I heard this 3 days ago and didn't post it because I thought it was absurd. Now I'm not so sure.

In the words of Michael Corleone, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in..."

I am really sick of undecided midwesterners. Thought we were done with them for a while.

I haven't caught up on all of the threads from yesterday and today, but wanted to put this out there.

Have a friend who works as the right hand guy to someone high up at a Big Ten school. Hearing that Syracuse's name has come up multiple times in realignment.

Not saying anything is happening, nor do I want them to, but there's possibly a little bit of smoke out there. I heard this 3 days ago and didn't post it because I thought it was absurd. Now I'm not so sure.

In the words of Michael Corleone, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in..."
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I have no doubt we are a b1g target right now. Delaney said it himself, they are opening an east coast office, and going after NYC.

No one school gets you NYC. We don't, and neither does Rutgers. But combine the b1g schools with Rutgers, ND, and SU, and you'll corner NYC as much as it can ever be cornered. If ND won't come along, replace the with UCONN and you've still got a good hold in NYC.

I bet right now ND is being given its true final shot at b1g membership. The b1g is going to 16 teams. You don't stop expanding with Rutgers, and you don't stop at 14.

I don't know how the b1g did it, but they found a way to justify someone paying a $50M buyout. If they can justify it for one, they can justify it for all. If I had to bet, right now id say TGD is sitting somewhere weighing that option right now.

This is it, the b1g is ready for 16, and ready to get this super conference show on the road. I would be very surprised if SU were not involved.

Ok I 'liked' your post only because of 'The Godfather' quote. ;) As for the Big Ten? The most boring conference out there. Seriously, that would be a major downer if we had to join just to survive. Yes if it meant survival we would have to go but...sigh.

I would kill for the B1G.

I am not saying your information is wrong, but Syracuse's chances of ending up in the B1G are summed up in the lyrics of this song.
Edit:

Personally, this has always been my wish.

You take the Midwest. Well covered by the B10 obviously. And take the Northeast. NJ, Maryland, NY, Conn. If you can't have ND to get NYC, that's damn well close enough. True northeast football.

If conferences go to 20 (which I think is quite possible, you just split them into 10s and have each winner play in the conference champ), you add BC, Kansas, UNC and UVA.

Then we have full on Civil War with the south.

SU and the B1g seems to be picking up a little steam out there in the internets.

Ugh, pass.

The ACC is the right fit.

So was the big east until it stopped being the big east. If the ACC is in danger of being picked apart, we better be proactive. I'm sure we are.

In a perfect world, I agree with you that ACC is a perfect fit. But how confident do you feel tonight of the ACC not being picked apart?

So was the big east until it stopped being the big east. If the ACC is in danger of being picked apart, we better be proactive. I'm sure we are.

In a perfect world, I agree with you that ACC is a perfect fit. But how confident do you feel tonight of the ACC not being picked apart?
Pretty confident, actually.

Here's why you absolutely say yes, as Syracuse, to the B1G if the offer comes (beyond the obvious answer of cash): If you say no, they have a plan B. If plan B says no, they have a plan C, and so on.

How many schools will turn down the money and stability because the ACC is a better fit? I guarantee you that's a short list.

And all it will take is one more defection for the ACC to begin the slow crumble that the Big East just went through in the last decade.

Also, if Syracuse were to go to the B1G with say Notre Dame, Pitt or UConn, that would likely lead to the B1g picking up more teams that would be a "good fit" with SU.

People keep bringing up the poor teams in each conference you might play if you ended up there. No I would not want to play Minnesota, but I'd be excited to play Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State in basketball - arguably 3 of the top 10 programs in college basketball today. While we're looking forward to playing Duke and North Carolina in the ACC, there are plenty of teams I could care less about such as Clemson. While I agree the ACC is a better fit and we're unlikely to get an offer from the Big 10, we'd go immediately if we had the chance. And while the basketball playing style may not be as good as the ACC, the league arguably is.

People keep bringing up the poor teams in each conference you might play if you ended up there. No I would not want to play Minnesota, but I'd be excited to play Indiana, Michigan State and Ohio State in basketball - arguably 3 of the top 10 programs in college basketball today. While we're looking forward to playing Duke and North Carolina in the ACC, there are plenty of teams I could care less about such as Clemson. While I agree the ACC is a better fit and we're unlikely to get an offer from the Big 10, we'd go immediately if we had the chance. And while the basketball playing style may not be as good as the ACC, the league arguably is.

I'd rather play the crappy ACC teams than the crappy B1G teams. Wake Forest, Duke, and Virginia or Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, and Purdue. It feels better playing the first 3 teams in football imo. Also a Clemson Vs SU Game would be fun to watch. I feel there are more teams that i care less about in the Big 10.

Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State vs Duke, North Carolina, and whatever team you want here. it's really a wash.

I'd rather play the crappy ACC teams than the crappy B1G teams. Wake Forest, Duke, and Virginia or Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, and Purdue. It feels better playing the first 3 teams in football imo. Also a Clemson Vs SU Game would be fun to watch. I feel there are more teams that i care less about in the Big 10.

Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State vs Duke, North Carolina, and whatever team you want here. it's really a wash.

I'd love to play in the ACC as is but that's the problem, will it stay the way it is? SU only pulls out if they know the poop is going to hit the fan and this isn't about culture or fit...it's about survival. I am not saying the ACC is going to fall apart but you bet I'm hoping Dr. Gross and Cantor are ready in case something does happen.

If FSU and Clemson are in talks with either the SEC and/or Big 12, then Syracuse must seek whatever life preserver is sent our way, be it PAC 12, B1G or SEC. Without the heavyweights in football, the conference will never be a power conference. Miami will not carry a conference, VATech can't win big games, Syracuse and Pitt are old war horses, who is left in the ACC?

Assuming FSU and Clemson stay put, then the ACC is the better fit. We do know that they have been in talks with the Big 12 in the recent past, so keeping all options open right now is our best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom