Don't shoot the messenger | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Don't shoot the messenger

As much as the ACC is a fit for our program, we simply can't wait for other teams to react. If the B1G offers, you take it...on the spot.

Stability for generations is what we are talking about here. Joining the B1G would effectively end all future talk of expansion for Syracuse. It would be done.

I agree...the Big 10, PAC 12 and the SEC are the only secure conferences right now unless the ACC and Big 12 make a key acquisition or can stand pat but I still have this feeling that schools are feeling uneasy and are/have been in talks to jump.

Pretty confident, actually.

Wouldn't be too sure about that...I know someone who works at FSU and they told me that the Seminoles are watching the Maryland exit fee situation closely. They told me that if Maryland can get out of the $50M then that is good news for FSU to do the same.

I agree. Shoot me if we end up in the B1G

Shoot me if we're left out (I don't foresee that happening).

All I want is to be secure. B1G or ACC, just give me a good home. I very much prefer ACC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with some of you that the ACC in its current form is definitely the best fit for Syracuse. But if another big player presently in the conference decides to jump ship (e.g. FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc.) you better believe we need to think very seriously about making a move if asked (Big Ten would be the best fit IMO. College football in the midwest is huge and if you want to continue to be a relevant player in BB and FB you've got to do what you've got to do. I just worry that a few more ACC defections and you might end up looking a lot like the Big East we just left.

There are worse things than seeing Michigan, Ohio State, MSU, etc. coming into the dome.

Shoot me if we're left out (I don't foresee that happening).

All I want is to be secure. B1G or ACC, just give me a good home. I very much prefer ACC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
^^^^^ What he said.

Wouldn't be too sure about that...I know someone who works at FSU and they told me that the Seminoles are watching the Maryland exit fee situation closely. They told me that if Maryland can get out of the $50M then that is good news for FSU to do the same.
Ready to have your mind blown?

The ACC is fine even if Florida State leaves.

I agree and dont know why people think differently. I still say UNC leaving would do the most harm and am hoping that doesnt happen.

Not sure about that...If FSU leaves then there is a good chance Clemson leaves. Since football is drives the changes and money, losing those two schools would be a big blow to ACC football. In that case you can be sure that ESPN would re-negotiate their contract dropping the payout.

Not sure about that...If FSU leaves then there is a good chance Clemson leaves. Since football is drives the changes and money, losing those two schools would be a big blow to ACC football. In that case you can be sure that ESPN would re-negotiate their contract dropping the payout.
Ready to have your mind blown A SECOND TIME?!?!?!?!

If all that happens... the ACC is still fine.

Sorry its not, if FSU leaves the ACC will collapse period.

Sure as a basketball conference...Just like the Big East will be fine...as a basketball conference. Why did Syracuse leave the Big East? Not because of basketball, because of football...why leave a basketball conference to join a conference that has a possibility (if FSU and Clemson bolt) to become a basketball conference?

Rutgers and Maryland are financial wrecks. When a solvent school jumps then it will be worth notice. Until that happens we have the plum - ND and that is not going to change. It should be clear that ND wants no part of the B1G. Longer term the ACC/Big 12 plan B could easily be to merge.

Everyone predicting the demise of the ACC is assuming that the ACC is just sitting around doing nothing. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sorry its not, if FSU leaves the ACC will collapse period.
Think it through.

The Seminoles leave. Then what happens?

People think Clemson leaves. Then what happens?

At what point does "collapse" happen? I just don't see a scenario for that.

Think it through.

The conferences are now set up by football success or by having teams with a history of big time college football success. If FSU leaves the ACC will become the Big East and not have a seat at the BCS playoff table, once that happens everyone will abandon ship, the money is in football. You think teams like NCState, VaTech etc are just gonna sit around and watch Rome burn?

I am not predicting the demise of the ACC at all. Just saying that you have to foolish not to think that FSU is not watching what happens with Maryland and the $50M buyout. The ACC needs to stand firm on that not let Maryland weasel out of paying. If a court lets them out of it, then so be it, can live with that. But the ACC needs to draw a line in the sand and stand firm. If they do that then FSU/Clemson will see that not only is there the possiblity they owuld have to pay $50M but also go through the hassle of litigation and is it worth it? I gurantee you that there are more than few schools in the ACC discussin internally their options just in case.

The conferences are now set up by football success or by having teams with a history of big time college football success. If FSU leaves the ACC will become the Big East and not have a seat at the BCS playoff table, once that happens everyone will abandon ship, the money is in football. You think teams like NCState, VaTech etc are just gonna sit around and watch Rome burn?
Yes, I do. Think it through.

Where are they going to go?

Thing is, the ACC doesn't need to collapse. Just look at the Big East. It's all about the benjamins. Every brand that leaves is less money for the contract. The ACC makes less money, the B1G/SEC make more money.

That will continue, right now, even without further defections. The ACC has the worst contract and bowl lineup, BEFORE any of this even happened. Eventually it *could* become so disparate that even UNC and UVA have to leave.

But it doesn't matter if FSU leaves, because they are destined to be in the Leftover League. SEC doesn't need them for Florida. I think we're destined for the Leftover League, too. Why? Pittsburgh. Think about it.

Think it through.

I never said anything about a collapse. The ACC is considered the last of the Power 5 (SEC, PAC12, Big 12, B1G). However if FSU and Clemson were to depart, the ACC will no doubt drop down to the same level as the MWC, Big East, etc. So why leave the Big East to go to a conference in similiar position?

Thing is, the ACC doesn't need to collapse. Just look at the Big East. It's all about the benjamins. Every brand that leaves is less money for the contract. The ACC makes less money, the B1G/SEC make more money.

That will continue, right now, even without further defections. The ACC has the worst contract and bowl lineup, BEFORE any of this even happened. Eventually it *could* become so disparate that even UNC and UVA have to leave.

But it doesn't matter if FSU leaves, because they are destined to be in the Leftover League. SEC doesn't need them for Florida. I think we're destined for the Leftover League, too. Why? Pittsburgh. Think about it.
The problem the Big East has is that it doesn't have any brands.

FSU has been pretty generic for a while. The ACC has plenty of depth, corporate sponsors, multigenerational fans and money.

Rome doesnt burn if Nero doesn't fiddle.

A big example are Rose and Sugar Bowls. The Pac 12 and B1G Champions playing each other and the SEC and Big 12 champions playing each other. For the Orange Bowl who does the ACC Champion get the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th place teams or ND. Just that fact is kind of telling where the ACC stands national relevance for football.

FSU has been pretty generic for a while. The ACC has plenty of depth, corporate sponsors, multigenerational fans and money.

Rome doesnt burn if Nero doesn't fiddle.

Sounds like typical Big East thinking before 2003/4...looks where the Big East is now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom