Doug Marrone | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

I don't believe he brought Nassib in. I'm almost positive he didn't. Loeb? Really? Hunt? No. Paulus is close but he wouldn't help either.
Greg Robinson brought in Nassib.
Robinson only brought him in because Dick Vermeil was a friend to the family and he told Robinson about him.
Vermeil is why we got Nassib.

I’d be thrilled with Marrone. Sure, he was conservative, but we were never embarrassed. And I’m not worried about recruiting with him. I think his wins would do the recruiting for him. Does Saban recruit? He doesn’t have much charisma.

I still watch and quote his intro sometimes. “I gotta roll up my sleeeves!”

I don't know for sure if he's the best option, but I certainly wouldn't use "he left us last time" as a reason not to hire him.

Almost anyone we hire is going to leave us if a blue blood or the NFL comes knocking. There's always a small chance that they have success here and decide to make Syracuse their forever home, but almost anyone we hire - Sean Lewis, Joe Moorhead, Tony White, whoever - will make the same decision Saint Doug did given the opportunity. I think the dream job comments had people hoping that he would be Football Boeheim, but it's very rare that schools in our football tier can hold coaches if they're desirable higher up the food chain.

It might not be Marrone’s decision. I’ve heard his wife wasn’t too enamored of the CNY experience. I’ll just leave it at that.

Doug could possibly find his way to Tennessee HC job if anywhere. Pretty sure that his wife is from that neck of the woods.

Sign me up. But I don’t think he’d come back. He’s probably getting almost the same salary as a line coach at Alabama
A guy like Marrone does not go to Alabama unless he wants a HC job again.

he had success here, things are better facility and conference wise, I’d take him again in a heartbeat.

that said, he likely has his sights set higher.

he had success here, things are better facility and conference wise, I’d take him again in a heartbeat.

^This is what "simple facts" and "common sense" look like.

I am also in the heartbeat camp.

Doug could possibly find his way to Tennessee HC job if anywhere. Pretty sure that his wife is from that neck of the woods.
Speaking of necks...bet Marrone's wife likes hers turning red in Tuscaloosa

Agreed, he could go back to Ga Tech as well. I actually think he would do well there. Much better location for football purposes, Keeps him probably closer to where his family wants to be at this point. I think I read his family was staying in Jville area this year. Can't remember how old his kids are but if they are out of high school at this point etc that makes things a lot easier.

I agree though don't see him coming back.

You guys are all fin nuts. Marrone was phenomenal here. Brought hope back. We were always prepared. We always had a game plan. I always came out of halftime thinking we could make the proper adjustments. He was fantastic.

Phenomenal? Losing 8 straight games (and 9 of 10) to FBS teams between year 3 and year 4 is not phenomenal. Moving to a new O system the week before the season (instead of the Spring) and tweaking things until halfway through the season is not phenomenal. That cost us 2 Ws in 2012 and a spot in the BCS Bowl.

Marrone is a good coach and I would welcome him back. But he was learning on the job and had an easy schedule. People act like we were 10-2 in the SEC West.

I’d be thrilled with Marrone. Sure, he was conservative, but we were never embarrassed. And I’m not worried about recruiting with him. I think his wins would do the recruiting for him. Does Saban recruit? He doesn’t have much charisma.

I still watch and quote his intro sometimes. “I gotta roll up my sleeeves!”

His WR and QB recruiting make Dino look like a stud recruiter.

Agreed, he could go back to Ga Tech as well. I actually think he would do well there. Much better location for football purposes, Keeps him probably closer to where his family wants to be at this point. I think I read his family was staying in Jville area this year. Can't remember how old his kids are but if they are out of high school at this point etc that makes things a lot easier.

I agree though don't see him coming back.
Marrone’s son (think he’s their oldest) is a freshman on Colgate’s football team.

It might not be Marrone’s decision. I’ve heard his wife wasn’t too enamored of the CNY experience. I’ll just leave it at that.

My wife was the same way but we got a place on Oneida Lake and I don’t think I could get her to leave now if I wanted to.

The Marrones look like they would enjoy lake life.

when you're all not paying attention and Randy Edsall resigned because he accepted the syracuse job for '22

*ducks*

bring marrone back here. period. he gets it. now he has the upgrade in facilities, no dr.gross to deal with. downside is he may not want the nil and portal headaches.

bring marrone back here. period. he gets it. now he has the upgrade in facilities, no dr.gross to deal with. downside is he may not want the nil and portal headaches.
NIL and portal are better for an ex-NFL coach. They are better at talent assessment and sorting thru a large amount of prospects. I also think a lot of guys in the portal have NFL aspirations and are trapped in a depth chart at a factory school and would give a lot of thought about playing for an ex-NFL coach who has contacts in the league, I thought this is what Syracuse should with Doug or another NFL coach, focus on portal and sell guys on NFL contacts.

Marrone is not coming back. However...if I were ADJW, I'd definitely be on the phone with Doug to get his perspective given that he played and coached here and had a bit of success in turning this ship in the right direction.

The NIL is essentially a salary cap, something NFL people have to be good with if they want to compete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom