Doug Marrone | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

True but recruiting for Bama is kinda like calling a kid and saying “hey young man would you like to play for Alabama? Yes coach Marrone, where do I sign?” Recruiting over. 007 shared in another thread that there was more to it for Marrone than just disliking recruiting , so if that is the case thats fine. That still doesn’t change my perspective that you don’t rehire a former HC.
See Schiano.

That was a fantastic defense. How about the other three years?

He won 8 games 2 times in 4 years.

Dino hasn't managed that second winning season yet, and this will be year six.

Doug couldn't recruit... he wanted the facilities and now them have certainly upgraded, but I think he saw there wasn't much talent left on the roster when he left for the NFL

One other thing...someone more familiar than I could confirm but getting rid of Dino now would cost Syracuse more than a few dollars. They are not going big bucks I am guessing on the next coach if that happens. Be ready for a young guy...giving him a shot.

I think I read that it's around $10M after this year, and around $5M the year after, including assistant buy-outs. So it's 90% likely he was coming back, unless he messes the bed. This was very concerning. They have to blow out the next 2 teams, or he's a dead man walking, and somebody better start talking to donors to help pay the buy out.

Doug is my first choice. I doubt he gets another NFL chance it comes down to his ego and whether he wants something bigger college wise or a very high paying coordinator gig in the NFL.
Didn’t his wife want to head south too?

Apologize - just saw Elimunelson’s post saying the same.

Take a look at Rich Wright North West Missouri State D2 he has a local connection.

I’m from Ohio, and I was mad when LeBron left. We’re all adults; we’ll get over it.
Pretty clear from this thread we still have some adult children lurking around that will never get over it.

Last edited:
Pretty clear from this thread we still have some adult children lurking around that will never get over it.

If Dream Job wants back I’m not blanket opposed…but there needs to be a large enough buyout to his contract that if he does leave the buyout lays for an upgrade at the position. Just my 2 cents.

Ok hear me out. Why wouldn’t we go all in on the only coach to have success here over the last 30 years ? The time will never be more right. As much as he apparently dislikes recruiting he is back in college. He has scratched the NFL itch and was good enough to be coveted by several NFL franchises. We have the facilities he didn’t get when he was here first. We have the ACC affiliation. As much as people say he didn’t like recruiting he recruited better than both Shafer and Babers with awful facilities and Big East affiliation. Marrone consistently developed players, something neither of the 2 following regimes have managed to do. This is a loss that you absolutely can’t have. Things have got worse. Name 1 offensive player Babers has developed offensively that he recruited other than Taj. After this game I am done with Babers and want to see Wildhack at very least make an effort to bring Marrone home.
Like you, I doubt he would want the job again. But Marrone is absolutely my first phone call if I am Wildhack. Guy consistently had better game plans with lesser talent. Armed with our facilities upgrades, NFL credentials and ACC affiliation, along with knowledge of what worked here (vs what did not), I think he could succeed-or at least have us respectable on an annual basis. What we have now-and it truly pains me to say this as I have been a big Dino advocate - is absolutely not working.

Who were Doug’s qb’s in the nfl?

Khan wanted to lose last year. He wanted Lawrence. They got rid of anyone who gave them a chance.

Do you even watch football?
Lots of truth. They tanked for Trevor. Doug and Caldwell were paid handsomely to ride that out.

the organization strategy was to accumulate draft picks and cap space. Winning wasn’t part of the plan last year.

he never lost the locker room and they played hard start to finish

There has to be someone on this board who knows someone who knew Marrone and has a feel for if this is remotely possible. My guess is this isn't Schiano 2.0 b/c Schiano had the stench of Penn St and was out of options once Clay Travis did him dirty in Tennessee. Doug seems to be well connected in the NFL circles. He has legit options in the coordinator carousel.

I thought Marrone's wife was from the south or something and had a hankering for being down there. I'm sure Doug has plenty of coin now from 2 NFL HC jobs so he may be interested in lifestyle over a Syracuse redux project. This may be a harder build than the first time because of the ACC factor and the lack of excuses.
Yeah, John Wildhack

Like you, I doubt he would want the job again. But Marrone is absolutely my first phone call if I am Wildhack. Guy consistently had better game plans with lesser talent. Armed with our facilities upgrades, NFL credentials and ACC affiliation, along with knowledge of what worked here (vs what did not), I think he could succeed-or at least have us respectable on an annual basis. What we have now-and it truly pains me to say this as I have been a big Dino advocate - is absolutely not working.
For all those who doubt that Marrone would want the job again, why do you think that is and who else do you think wants him as a HC? Do you think he's content to finish his career as an OL coach?

I think we also need to remember that under Marrone we ended 2011 and started 2012 poorly. That was on him. Although IMO that was more Shafer's D being inconsistent as can be. But it was partially on not having the O figured out (2011 too conservative, 2012 changing the system on the fly).

We also got s ton of penalties under Marrone.

He was very conservative and lacked an in game feel. I felt he was great Sunday to Friday but not so much on Saturday.

His QB and WR recruiting may have been worse than Dino's.

*Edit to add context to QB/WR
He brought in Hunt at QB and nothing else. He brought in West at WR and nothing else. Unless you count Broyld who Shafer moved to WR. Even so that is weak WR recruiting.

He coached against a watered down Big East and weak OOC teams.

I think he would be a good choice if we need a new HC (hopefully we don't) but the way some are talking about him is as if he doesn't have his faults.

Last edited:
For all those who doubt that Marrone would want the job again, why do you think that is and who else do you think wants him as a HC? Do you think he's content to finish his career as an OL coach?
Personal view that actually has little to do with Marrone specifically. When you've done a specific job and know the benefits (and warts) of it, it isn't always desirable to go back again. Obviously football is different than most industries but Marrone may desire his next head coaching job have different attributes than what SU offers. Nothing wrong with that, for either side.

I absolutely believe he wants to be a HC again. I have to believe he would have some good options with his combined experience at the college and NFL level-and now Alabama. Saban has resuscitated many a coaching career.

I would absolutely sign up for part two of the Marrone experience over what we are dealing with right now. Just my two cents.

I will always be thankful for what Doug gave us after the stench of the Grob years. The smell is back and I'm confident that the turn around would be similar to his first term if he were to come back. And, I have no problem with him calling himself Saint Doug. Seems fitting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marrone went to Bama to study them and Saban to prep for a return here. He doesn't need the money and could have stayed in the NFL.
i would want him back at syracuse. that said he went to bama imo to get a hc job in the sec. i believe he coached there 3 times as an assistant georgia tech, tennessee, and bama

I don’t think he’s coming back so it probably doesn’t matter but Marrone could always answer why he did things and most of the time it made sense. Dino was an up and coming offensive genius but has made some real head scratching decisions

It’s weird because I was always anti-meathead too but maybe Dino has me rethinking that…

Hofchuck mentioned the Dazzler. He’s a meathead but I’d take him at this point too

I also think Marrone wouldn't come here, but I also don't think he's a good fit for today's game anymore. He did a good job in 2012 but he also had a Senior QB, Senior WRs, a Senior NFL LT, etc.

When Nick Saban says you can't win games anymore by running the ball, playing for field position, and playing good defense, that should be a huge wake up call to coaches.

We don't need to hire a meathead, we need to follow the Dino model but tweak the process and aim for someone who's a better player developer, disciplinarian, someone with a strong offensive scheme but a bit more experience at building up a program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom