Doug needs 2 more years | Syracusefan.com

Doug needs 2 more years

Crazy Cuse

Walk On
After calming down after yesterday's collapse I think Doug should be given at least 2 more seasons. We're not getting blown out like Pasqualoni's teams or never having a chance like Robinson's. These are winnable games that he's put us in position to compete in, we're close and its not as a far as it seemed yesterday. If Rutgers is that much better I really didn't see it, and I've seen 4 of their games.

Gross should give him an extension today to secure recruiting and also suggest some changes within the program, like...

1. Hire a special teams coach that has recruiting ties to the tri-state area
2. Take away play calling duties from Hackett or replace him with Wheatley if he threatens to quit
3. Doug needs to stop wearing a headset and being overwhelmed, manage the game and motivate players like Mac did. Let the coordinators call the plays (not Hackett obviously).

I rather see us get 6 Ws and 6 blowout Ls than be close in veery game and go 3-9. Losing close games is unacceptable in year 4. In addition Marrone has done a poor job recruiting athletes. Where is the hope on this roster? This appear to be getting worse next year talent wise. Losing close games with a bunch of promising underclassman is one thing. Losing close games with a team dominated by upperclassman is another.

We have played the 2nd toughest schedule in the country! If we played Rutgers schedule we'd be 5-1 or 4-2 worst. Patience Grasshopper!!!!

I rather see us get 6 Ws and 6 blowout Ls than be close in veery game and go 3-9. Losing close games is unacceptable in year 4. In addition Marrone has done a poor job recruiting athletes. Where is the hope on this roster? This appear to be getting worse next year talent wise. Losing close games with a bunch of promising underclassman is one thing. Losing close games with a team dominated by upperclassman is

I can't sit thru 2 more of years of the same ole' crap. DM is a good man and has brought us back from being the worst BCS team to a mediocre BCS team. DM has shown NO RECRUITING chops in 4 years, he hasn't done ANYTHING in his clock management decisions to give me confidence, he has done nothing to spark the team by using ANY trick plays. The biggest trick play was a flea-flicker in the Pinstripe Bowl. He has done NOTHING to improve the special teams in 4 years. His sidelines demeanor schick is getting old. Kids in college are NOT professional football players they want to have fun you can't take emotion out of the game. Just observing the program IMO these kids are not having fun Marrone treats them like its the NFL. I want Marrone to successful because he wouldn't leave us for another college, but enough is enough DM has to go unless we get to 5-7 and even if we got to 5-7 I personally would can him because you have to give an extension and pay him more money because he can't coach/recruit with no job security thru 2013. If you want to be mediocre DM is your guy if you want a chance to improve the program then he has to go. Somebody said it right DM is the perfect coach to replace a coach who has established the program but not rebuilt the program. Give DM the 2005 SU Orangeman and he probably does a lot better than taking over the 2009 SU Orangeman.

How do you figure? Please specify.

Who are our WRs? Who will be our QB? Who replaces Shamarko? We still have major ?s at DE and LB. Do guys like Pugh, Lyn, Broyld come back? What young players on this team get you excited about the future? We are not seeing an impact. And if they were good wouldn't they be getting more playing time this year when it is desperately needed? People here keep saying recruiting has improved under Marrone but it is not showing one iota on the field.

We have played the 2nd toughest schedule in the country! If we played Rutgers schedule we'd be 5-1 or 4-2 worst. Patience Grasshopper!!!!

Well that isn't true one bit. We are currently ranked 30th. What makes you think if we played RU's schedule we would have beaten Arkansas or USF on the road? How do you know we beat UConn? We likely are 3-3 with their schedule.

After calming down after yesterday's collapse I think Doug should be given at least 2 more seasons. We're not getting blown out like Pasqualoni's teams or never having a chance like Robinson's. These are winnable games that he's put us in position to compete in, we're close and its not as a far as it seemed yesterday. If Rutgers is that much better I really didn't see it, and I've seen 4 of their games.

Gross should give him an extension today to secure recruiting and also suggest some changes within the program, like...

2. Take away play calling duties from Hackett or replace him with Wheatley if he threatens to quit
3. Doug needs to stop wearing a headset and being overwhelmed, manage the game and motivate players like Mac did. Let the coordinators call the plays (not Hackett obviously).

and no.

This team is 1-9 in its last 10 games against BCS teams, our offense is atrocious. Our depth chart on offense has 10 Sr,7 Jr,4 Soph,1 fr the excuse we play people who can help us win is over, we aren't winning. The people that ended last year as losers are still playing, and we still are losing. Its time to replace the current losers with new players, if we're going to lose do it with youngsters who just might get better. No more excuses for the seniors on this team, this was their chance to step up and they blew it, time to move on.

This team is 1-9 in its last 10 games against BCS teams, our offense is atrocious. Our depth chart on offense has 10 Sr,7 Jr,4 Soph,1 fr the excuse we play people who can help us win is over, we aren't winning. The people that ended last year as losers are still playing, and we still are losing. Its time to replace the current losers with new players, if we're going to lose do it with youngsters who just might get better. No more excuses for the seniors on this team, this was their chance to step up and they blew it, time to move on.

Interestin, No one told me the season ended yesterday

I think you can make the argument that he does need two more years. However, if after two more years we are not on very solid footing as a program, I'm not sure we'll ever recover. Essentially, we'll become like Duke part 2 in the ACC.

Think you'll see Gross force change on Doug, but he won't get the ax unless something drastic happens from here on our (which is possible). ST coach, new OC, HCDM taking a wee bit of a step back re: the X's & O's just like many here have suggested.

I rather see us get 6 Ws and 6 blowout Ls than be close in veery game and go 3-9. Losing close games is unacceptable in year 4. In addition Marrone has done a poor job recruiting athletes. Where is the hope on this roster? This appear to be getting worse next year talent wise. Losing close games with a bunch of promising underclassman is one thing. Losing close games with a team dominated by upperclassman is another.

Poor job recruiting athletes? I wouldn't say that. It's just that they are all on the defensive side of the ball. Our defense is fast and athletic, and our offensive skill players are slow and not explosive.

Poor job recruiting athletes at offensive skill positions...I'll go with that.

Who are our WRs? Who will be our QB? Who replaces Shamarko? We still have major ?s at DE and LB. Do guys like Pugh, Lyn, Broyld come back? What young players on this team get you excited about the future? We are not seeing an impact. And if they were good wouldn't they be getting more playing time this year when it is desperately needed? People here keep saying recruiting has improved under Marrone but it is not showing one iota on the field.

Based on recruiting rankings from HS, Funderburk looks to be our best talent at WR in years, so there's that to be excited about, and Thompson was a bigtime recruit at TE with size and athleticism. Funderburk, Thompson, and Broyld give us some potential to be excited about on the offensive side.

Of course with our luck, Thompson's injury will be too serious, Funderburk will having something go wrong with academics 2 weeks before the season starts, and Broyld will leave. Saying this and putting it out there to reverse any possible jinx^^^^^.

Based on recruiting rankings from HS, Funderburk looks to be our best talent at WR in years, so there's that to be excited about, and Thompson was a bigtime recruit at TE with size and athleticism. Funderburk, Thompson, and Broyld give us some potential to be excited about on the offensive side.

Of course with our luck, Thompson's injury will be too serious, Funderburk will having something go wrong with academics 2 weeks before the season starts, and Broyld will leave. Saying this and putting it out there to reverse any possible jinx^^^^^.

Not to mention that Lewis and Cornelius looked great in camp as well, and our 2 best RB talents are likely redshirting this year (lack of playbook knowledge). Next year's talent will be improved Otto.

We have three solid wr's that all lack play making ability. Lemon, Sales and West are possession, move the sticks type of players. The staff realized this was a problem and took a flier on a speedy 159 pound JC WR with no other offers. Additionally, I haven't seen Gronk playing TE for us either. (fingers crossed for Thompson)

We have a similar situation in the back field. Solid backs but not a home run threat among them. And, as every one has seen over the last three years, Nassib has some glaring limitations in his game. Play makers score points. Simply because these players aren't play makers doesn't make them losers.

Love the first part, hate the second . . . .

i think you can make a case for an extention but id say only 1 year with options after that. we definately need a special teams coach who specializes in that area.as for hackett i can go either way since marrone is going to be involved. trhis is nitpicky but marrone needs to wear some other syracuse attire on game day as the fleece isnt winning any games

i think you can make a case for an extention but id say only 1 year with options after that. we definately need a special teams coach who specializes in that area.as for hackett i can go either way since marrone is going to be involved. trhis is nitpicky but marrone needs to wear some other syracuse attire on game day as the fleece isnt winning any games

I would like to hear the case for an extension and I will do my best to politely respond with my rebuttal.

Not sure if I agree, but you present a good, rational argument.

The "binder brigade" should take note.

So, Hackett lost the game yesterday?

I agree with one thing you have posted - Marrone needs more time.

So, Hackett lost the game yesterday?

I agree with one thing you have posted - Marrone needs more time.

Will someone please explain why Hackett should be viewed as the right guy for the OC job. His record so far sucks. The talent is there or else we would not be able to outplay opponents in every stat. Someone has to develop the raw talent into disciplined skilled play. We have scored less than 14 points in the last 4 games. We are going backward. There is no absolutely no improvement over last year. What is it that people think Hackett brings to the table? I don't get it.

Poor job recruiting athletes at offensive skill positions...I'll go with that.

Can we all agree that Broyld is a phenomenal athlete. I just wish the coaches knew where and when to use him. Especially as a true freshman. I'm glad to see that they somewhat figured out the Tank formation, now just figure out the Broyld formation.

Will someone please explain why Hackett should be viewed as the right guy for the OC job. His record so far sucks. The talent is there or else we would not be able to outplay opponents in every stat. Someone has to develop the raw talent into disciplined skilled play. We have scored less than 14 points in the last 4 games. We are going backward. There is no absolutely no improvement over last year. What is it that people think Hackett brings to the table? I don't get it.

I would say people think he brings pedigree and youth but neither amount to jack when this is the result.

I would say people think he brings pedigree and youth but neither amount to jack when this is the result.

What pedigree? - his father had a 32-38 record as a college HC. What the hell has youth to do with it? Tell that to Dick LeBeau.

What pedigree? - his father had a 32-38 record as a college HC. What the hell has youth to do with it? Tell that to Dick LeBeau.

I don't think they are good reasons either. But that's why many people here were lauding Marrone's decision to bring him in when he did. Oh, can't forget the more recent "we can't get rid of him because we may lose Zach Allen" :rolleyes:

Oh, Hackett's 32-38 is currently a better winning % than Marrone's 19-24.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom