Drew Allen. Commits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Drew Allen. Commits

RGLCL, Hunt, Kinder, Wilson, Kimble, and now Allen. 6 QBs on roster this Fall, not counting Broyld? Crazy.

But it's nice to be chosen. Welcome aboard.

What's crazy about it? We have open scholarships and he's a one year player that adds a viable option at the most important position on the team thats currently up in the air.

Can't hurt!! Word from spring practice about SU QB's was not really flashy. We know what a decent QB looks like=Ryan Nassib. Battle sarts next Saturday and rekindles in August!!

There were two viable QB's on the roster, now there are three. Open competition. Need the depth because Kinder is never going to play, Broyld isn't a QB, and no way that either incoming QB will be ready to handle the schedule they have.

First year that McDonald and Lester were OC and QB coach together they went through three quarterbacks and by the end of the year true freshmen Tim Heller was the starter because the guy they chose out of the box couldn't get it done and the second guy they went to, Bill Cubit, got hurt in the middle of the fourth game of the year.

Heller went on to be MAC freshmen of the year, but he missed his whole second year with an injury and Cubit played the next year on a 6th year.

My guess is part of this is not wanting to be stuck with limited options if they don't have to.

There were two viable QB's on the roster, now there are three. Open competition. Need the depth because Kinder is never going to play, Broyld isn't a QB, and no way that either incoming QB will be ready to handle the schedule they have.

First year that McDonald and Lester were OC and QB coach together they went through three quarterbacks and by the end of the year true freshmen Tim Heller was the starter because the guy they chose out of the box couldn't get it done and the second guy they went to, Bill Cubit, got hurt in the middle of the fourth game of the year.

Heller went on to be MAC freshmen of the year, but he missed his whole second year with an injury and Cubit played the next year on a 6th year.

My guess is part of this is not wanting to be stuck with limited options if they don't have to.
They didn't sell Allen on the possibility of being an emergency Qb.

Kid played at Alamo Heights HS. It is an area filled with working professionals and the connected. Very similar to Fayetteville-Manlius except it is more urban. I live about a mile from his old High School within the district. Once he is signed, sealed and delivered...I'll reach out to his parents and invite them to a Fine Mess Tailgate.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/allen_drew00.html

Good stopgap for one year as we had the scholarships to use, and this kid can play. I like the loyalty that Charlie Loeb has shown the program, but from everything we have been led to believe he hasn't even been taking the reps with the 1st team offense, and I don't think Hunt can throw consistently right now. We needed this kid, and I think we can win 6 games next now. I hope Charlie understands this isn't personal, but its business.

Been waiting for this forever - I keep checking all the news sites

I went to an OU board and asked what they thought of Allen. The consensus seemed to be that he never got a chance behind Bradford and Jones, but is a great kid who could have a really big year if given the opportunity.

Great get. Been a life long OU fan (I went to SU though). I watch every OU game and although Drew was stuck behind Landry Jones, Drew showed tremendous leadership during every game and practice.

Does he have good feet? Can he run the ball?

Don't count Charley out, or Hunt out. Allen has very limited game experience and he comes in already behind the others in terms of knowing the staff/offense. This could end up being more of an insurance policy than anything else.

Having said that, I like the added competition and numbers. It can only be a good thing. As Xtreme said, may the best man win.

Honestly, none of the quarterbacks on our roster have blown me away. It's not like the other quarterbacks have too much knowledge of the offense either and staff. An ex-Oklahoma quarterback doesn't leave the program in his last year of eligibility to be an insurance policy. McDonald and Shafer know the team's limitations and quarterback seems to have been one or I don't think pursuing Allen would have been an option.

Now if this lights a fire under Charlie and Hunt, then I am all for that too. I would be willing to bet that Allen is our opening day starting quarterback..

Kid played at Alamo Heights HS. It is an area filled with working professionals and the connected. Very similar to Fayetteville-Manlius except it is more urban. I live about a mile from his old High School within the district. Once he is signed, sealed and delivered...I'll reach out to his parents and invite them to a Fine Mess Tailgate.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/allen_drew00.html
Sounds like a trip for the Orange Welcome Wagon. A nice citrus flavored fruit basket and some hats and tees.

th

Drew is the favorite for sure. Then hunt. Feel bad for Charlie but we have to win games in the ACC. We don't have the luxury of having a losing season. It will be hard to bounce back from that

exactly. another reason i believe we went JUCO heavy this year as well. We can't afford any steps back going into the acc. i'd be shocked if he isn't the starter next year.

He was the number 15 QB coming out of high school that year. He was the frickin backup at Oklahoma for 4 years behind Heisman level QBs. Uhhh when have we had a QB of that stature? I think this is huge. I for one am pumped. Just what we needed.

I hate bringing in one year guys like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom