Class of 2016 - DT Christian Colon (NC) to Colorado State | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DT Christian Colon (NC) to Colorado State

Assuming Franklin's not bluffing, should Colon visit any school, regardless of the type of visit, Franklin would yank the scholarship. Should Colon visit any school, it can be safely assumed that his opinion of Penn State, and Franklin, has soured.

Went back and watched Colon's hudl tape. Strong, but a bit lumbering. Run stuffer for sure, but not convinced he's what we need for passing situations. Personally, I like Tony, Ty, and Steven more so than Colon. All three are quicker, and better technicians. I think we should use our remaining slots and go after a few more DBs.
Not going to disagree with you on any of your analysis. I would caution though that ever good DL can use run-stuffers as much as passing situation types at the DT/NT position. And as depth is always a concern on the DL, taking a 3* quality DT is never a bad thing. Even if he just turned into a lifetime backup, always good to have more than less on the DL due to injuries and such.

That said, it's up to the staff. If they want him, they'll pursue him. If not, he can enjoy PSU.

Not going to disagree with you on any of your analysis. I would caution though that ever good DL can use run-stuffers as much as passing situation types at the DT/NT position. And as depth is always a concern on the DL, taking a 3* quality DT is never a bad thing. Even if he just turned into a lifetime backup, always good to have more than less on the DL due to injuries and such.

That said, it's up to the staff. If they want him, they'll pursue him. If not, he can enjoy PSU.
Very true.

I think, though, that we get a more well-rounded player in Peek. I also like DeMatto. Would give up a kidney for Gary; but I kinda think he'd be more successful at DE than DT. Not that he'd suck at DT.

Btw.. I don't want to turn this thread into a James Franklin bashing free-for-all and I'm not sure if I've posted this elsewhere on this forum previously, but here's an interesting nugget on Franklin..

Last season I was watching Syracuse vs. Louisville at a bar here in Arlington, VA. Given the way the season was starting to unfold w/ injuries and such, I decided it'd be best to stand a few yards away from my friends watching their games (PSU and VT grads). Penn St was not playing that day. Anyway, a random walks up and stands by me, sees my shirt and starts talking to me about Syracuse and the game. At first, annoyed because I have some random talking to me, while frustratingly watching Ben Lewis drop a TD (the first of 2 that day that no doubt should have been caught by Lewis), I continued making small talk with the guy. He and I discussed playing D3 football as we were both ex-players, etc. Then I asked him what he does, and this is where the conversation, and my attitude towards the guy, took on a very different tune.

To summarize the conversation and its relevancy... The guy was a graduate assistant on the Penn State football staff. He was a holdover grad assistant from the Bill O'Brien staff and his father was a former D1A football coach. He then went on to tell me that starting the fall after James Franklin's first recruiting class, Franklin decided (after the first fall practice) that he wanted the premium lockers at the front of the locker room to be designated for the freshman he had just recruited. He wanted all the incumbents to be displaced elsewhere. Typically under B.O'B. and historically, I guess these lockers were assigned to Seniors, whether on scholarship or walk-ons, as an honor. Franklin I guess even took it further in that he demanded that all the walkon's not to receive formal lockers at all. So Franklin implemented his locker room changes before the second fall practice. At the end of the third fall practice, the Juniors/Sophomores/Redshirt Freshman all banded together and approached Franklin to voice their disgust at the change. Further, he said that the players really were disgusted, and voiced as much to Franklin, about his treatment of walkon's (don't forget PSU was just coming off their period of sanctions, so they had a good number of walkon's to fill out their 85 man roster). He described it as being similar to the movie Rudy when all the players ask for Rudy to dress in their place. Anyway, he said Franklin's response to the players was, "Let the players decide who gets the premium lockers and we'll make sure the walkon's get treated more fairly and are given lockers, however, I don't want the walkon's in the premium lockers."

We bought each other drinks and parted nicely. However, this graduate assistant vehemently disliked Coach Franklin. Several times he compared Franklin to Bill O'Brien and even his own father and every single time, it shed Franklin in a terrible light.

Btw.. I don't want to turn this thread into a James Franklin bashing free-for-all and I'm not sure if I've posted this elsewhere on this forum previously, but here's an interesting nugget on Franklin..

Last season I was watching Syracuse vs. Louisville at a bar here in Arlington, VA. Given the way the season was starting to unfold w/ injuries and such, I decided it'd be best to stand a few yards away from my friends watching their games (PSU and VT grads). Penn St was not playing that day. Anyway, a random walks up and stands by me, sees my shirt and starts talking to me about Syracuse and the game. At first, annoyed because I have some random talking to me, while frustratingly watching Ben Lewis drop a TD (the first of 2 that day that no doubt should have been caught by Lewis), I continued making small talk with the guy. He and I discussed playing D3 football as we were both ex-players, etc. Then I asked him what he does, and this is where the conversation, and my attitude towards the guy, took on a very different tune.

To summarize the conversation and its relevancy... The guy was a graduate assistant on the Penn State football staff. He was a holdover grad assistant from the Bill O'Brien staff and his father was a former D1A football coach. He then went on to tell me that starting the fall after James Franklin's first recruiting class, Franklin decided (after the first fall practice) that he wanted the premium lockers at the front of the locker room to be designated for the freshman he had just recruited. He wanted all the incumbents to be displaced elsewhere. Typically under B.O'B. and historically, I guess these lockers were assigned to Seniors, whether on scholarship or walk-ons, as an honor. Franklin I guess even took it further in that he demanded that all the walkon's not to receive formal lockers at all. So Franklin implemented his locker room changes before the second fall practice. At the end of the third fall practice, the Juniors/Sophomores/Redshirt Freshman all banded together and approached Franklin to voice their disgust at the change. Further, he said that the players really were disgusted, and voiced as much to Franklin, about his treatment of walkon's (don't forget PSU was just coming off their period of sanctions, so they had a good number of walkon's to fill out their 85 man roster). He described it as being similar to the movie Rudy when all the players ask for Rudy to dress in their place. Anyway, he said Franklin's response to the players was, "Let the players decide who gets the premium lockers and we'll make sure the walkon's get treated more fairly and are given lockers, however, I don't want the walkon's in the premium lockers."

We bought each other drinks and parted nicely. However, this graduate assistant vehemently disliked Coach Franklin. Several times he compared Franklin to Bill O'Brien and even his own father and every single time, it shed Franklin in a terrible light.

Didnt know you were in the area! I'm in Arlington right now at work! Haha. I live in Manassas now, but will be moving to Arlington/Falls Church in October. Might have to get a group of Cuse fans in the area together to watch some games.

I thought he allocated the premium lockers to the players with the hottest girlfriends, with him as the judge.

Good story, thanks for sharing. The man is a walking confirmation bias.

Didnt know you were in the area! I'm in Arlington right now at work! Haha. I live in Manassas now, but will be moving to Arlington/Falls Church in October. Might have to get a group of Cuse fans in the area together to watch some games.
Yes'sir. I live in Merrifield now, but only 2 stops on the metro away! I used to live in Arlington (Ballston area) and venture down there a lot during football season. Hit me up when you're going and I'm game!

Everyone has their warts, we're all human, but Bill O'Brien always came off as a class act to me.

Franklin is an opportunist, he'll always have a career because there will always be teams that are willing to sell their souls for W's. The guy wins, I'll give him that.

Everyone has their warts, we're all human, but Bill O'Brien always came off as a class act to me.

Franklin is an opportunist, he'll always have a career because there will always be teams that are willing to sell their souls for W's. The guy wins, I'll give him that.
Were BOB and Marrone close? Why am I thinking this for some reason?

Were BOB and Marrone close? Why am I thinking this for some reason?
This may be a longer answer than you were looking for but:

Yes very good friends, I believe their Wives are best friends, and former college roommates if I recall. O'Brien and Doug are also close friends due prior coaching history together and this continued bond between their wives.

You may recall that they were friends because they were reported to take their annual off season vacations together, even in 2009 when we were scheduled to play them.

But, you probably remember this because it was also reportedly the main reasoning Marrone did not recruit any players away from Pstate during the unrestricted transfer period following the initial sanctions, which allowed other teams to openly recruit transfers until the start of the 2012 season, and did not require a player to sit out a year. This was even though our roster was heavily depleted due to transfers and injury.

Specifically Running back Curtis Dukes was much of the talk for SU at the time, given that he was from the Watertown area (Indian River HS), had been recruited by SU in Marrone's first year, and there were rumblings of his concerns over playing time behind Silas Redd and his relationship with the new coaching staff. Of course that coaching staff included Marrone's good friend who I expect would have advised him. Silas Redd transferred to USC, never matching his Pstate numbers but sticking in the NFL after signing as a UDFA; we didn't recruit Dukes and he stayed at Pstate. Dukes got passed over for the starting and backup slot to his vocal distaste in 2012 and left PSU after that season. I assume he still has eligibility remaining since I don't think he ever entered the draft but he had some academic concerns the season before all this happened that may have played a factor in not transferring somewhere else after that season, which I believe would also have been unrestricted.

Marrone demonstrated some class, perhaps ill advised class in this cut throat CFB world, and respect for O'Brien by doing this and by my estimation PState lost many fewer players due to similar respect from other coaches for O'Brien who was reportedly very well connected in coaching ranks, ala grabbing an NFL job a short time later.

Franklin is a walking wart. Anyone who reads up on what happened at Vandy with the players attacking that girl and Franklin's actions afterward will agree what a subhuman he is.
Super qualified and a perfect fit (pun intended for "head" coach at the penile institution that is Pe(d)nn State, following in the footsteps of Boss Paterno and perv Sandusky. Thugs are always welcome in State College.

This may be a longer answer than you were looking for but:

Yes very good friends, I believe their Wives are best friends, and former college roommates if I recall. O'Brien and Doug are also close friends due prior coaching history together and this continued bond between their wives.

You may recall that they were friends because they were reported to take their annual off season vacations together, even in 2009 when we were scheduled to play them.

But, you probably remember this because it was also reportedly the main reasoning Marrone did not recruit any players away from Pstate during the unrestricted transfer period following the initial sanctions, which allowed other teams to openly recruit transfers until the start of the 2012 season, and did not require a player to sit out a year. This was even though our roster was heavily depleted due to transfers and injury.

Specifically Running back Curtis Dukes was much of the talk for SU at the time, given that he was from the Watertown area (Indian River HS), had been recruited by SU in Marrone's first year, and there were rumblings of his concerns over playing time behind Silas Redd and his relationship with the new coaching staff. Of course that coaching staff included Marrone's good friend who I expect would have advised him. Silas Redd transferred to USC, never matching his Pstate numbers but sticking in the NFL after signing as a UDFA; we didn't recruit Dukes and he stayed at Pstate. Dukes got passed over for the starting and backup slot to his vocal distaste in 2012 and left PSU after that season. I assume he still has eligibility remaining since I don't think he ever entered the draft but he had some academic concerns the season before all this happened that may have played a factor in not transferring somewhere else after that season, which I believe would also have been unrestricted.

Marrone demonstrated some class, perhaps ill advised class in this cut throat CFB world, and respect for O'Brien by doing this and by my estimation PState lost many fewer players due to similar respect from other coaches for O'Brien who was reportedly very well connected in coaching ranks, ala grabbing an NFL job a short time later.

And O'Brien repaid the debt by offering Jason Cabinda 3 months after he committed to SU and subsequently flipping him. Oh wait :mad:

tep624 said:
And O'Brien repaid the debt by offering Jason Cabinda 3 months after he committed to SU and subsequently flipping him. Oh wait :mad:

Nahh Doug was gone by then.

Last edited:

I guess I forgot that no OVs allowed after committing was also Dabos policy. Just not right.

I can understand why coaches have that policy in place. Don't like it, but I can understand it.

forgot that name. whats his status at psu?

I guess I forgot that no OVs allowed after committing was also Dabos policy. Just not right.
I'll tell you what, if I was a recruit, I'd save that letter, it's well written and extremely respectful of both sides and simultaneously asks the fans to respect his choice and state no interviews at all. Really well said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom