Class of 2016 - DT Christian Colon (NC) to Colorado State | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DT Christian Colon (NC) to Colorado State

Makes me appreciate both Marrone and Shafer who always let kids take those OVs. Better that a kid has no doubt that they are making the correct decision. Even if a fanbase is sweating a visit to Florida. ;)
Very true. They were actually very understanding.

Well does anyone know or have a opinion whether he will or think he will gamble and visit SU. Also PSU doesn't allow OV after a commit, but what about a unofficial visit w/o PSU knowing. lol "my evil mind is working"Oh Lord

Well does anyone know or have a opinion whether he will or think he will gamble and visit SU. Also PSU doesn't allow OV after a commit, but what about a unofficial visit w/o PSU knowing. lol "my evil mind is working"Oh Lord

Based on some posts in this thread, I don't think it will happen.

Based on some posts in this thread, I don't think it will happen.
It is sad that Franklin is running a young man's future like this. I am surprise that he is pulling this power play since as far as I am concern, now that Colon has made AA status, that he "Colon" could name his school.

Penn State just took another commit from a 4-star DT.

Are they getting ready to cut one of their commits loose I wonder? Isn't this Dt #4 for them?

Are they getting ready to cut one of their commits loose I wonder? Isn't this Dt #4 for them?
Ryvals has him listed as a DE. According to that site, they have 4 DE recruits and 2 DT. Take it FWIW.

It is sad that Franklin is running a young man's future like this. I am surprise that he is pulling this power play since as far as I am concern, now that Colon has made AA status, that he "Colon" could name his school.

You know, to be honest, I don't have nearly as much trouble with schools who have this policy as many of you guys on the board. I think it's far less about a power play to keep young men from going to the school they are meant for than a policy to ensure that they take their time and only commit when they are sure that they are ready. Think about it like engagement-- if I commit to marry some girl, I can back out at any time before the wedding of I get cold feet and begin to date other women again-- but I can't hope to date other women and have my fiancé not "pull" the marital offer. The only fiancés who would be ok with this would be the really desperate women (Syracuse). It's not like these recruits have no agency--they're playing the system just like the coaches. Think about how bad Tyus Battle screwed over UM on the basketball side. They were leading for another really good top guard whose name I forget... Anyhow, word on the street is that Battle committed to UM in part just because he didn't want this guard to take his spot-- in other words he "committed" to a school to keep his options open! Talk about paradoxical! By the time he decided he wanted to rope. His commitment, UM was too far behind with the other guard and lost him to Michigan state. If they'd had Franklins policy, maybe he never commits in the first place and they don't get screwed. Look, Franklin may be a , but I've got no problem with this policy.

Sorry about all the errors-- I was typing on my phone while watching my daughter.

You know, to be honest, I don't have nearly as much trouble with schools who have this policy as many of you guys on the board. I think it's far less about a power play to keep young men from going to the school they are meant for than a policy to ensure that they take their time and only commit when they are sure that they are ready. Think about it like engagement-- if I commit to marry some girl, I can back out at any time before the wedding of I get cold feet and begin to date other women again-- but I can't hope to date other women and have my fiancé not "pull" the marital offer. The only fiancés who would be ok with this would be the really desperate women (Syracuse). It's not like these recruits have no agency--they're playing the system just like the coaches. Think about how bad Tyus Battle screwed over UM on the basketball side. They were leading for another really good top guard whose name I forget... Anyhow, word on the street is that Battle committed to UM in part just because he didn't want this guard to take his spot-- in other words he "committed" to a school to keep his options open! Talk about paradoxical! By the time he decided he wanted to rope. His commitment, UM was too far behind with the other guard and lost him to Michigan state. If they'd had Franklins policy, maybe he never commits in the first place and they don't get screwed. Look, Franklin may be a , but I've got no problem with this policy.

Apples to oranges ... and this is a big reason why teens who marry seldom see a marriage through. They are kids deciding on their futures and this same behavior is exactly what happens in the real world for people who recruit for companies ... I have seen situations where even after an offer letter is signed people take another job ... it happens. This is nothing like a marriage its only 4 years (provided a school decides to follow through) and a stage to demonstrate viability for that professional job. Kids should be allowed to see what is out there ... they carry a big enough load going to school, playing/praticing football that getting to see all the schools they wish to see quickly is very difficult, these kids are under a tremendous amount of pressure to decide and find a place they belong, changing minds is part of the process.

Apples to oranges ... and this is a big reason why teens who marry seldom see a marriage through. They are kids deciding on their futures and this same behavior is exactly what happens in the real world for people who recruit for companies ... I have seen situations where even after an offer letter is signed people take another job ... it happens. This is nothing like a marriage its only 4 years (provided a school decides to follow through) and a stage to demonstrate viability for that professional job. Kids should be allowed to see what is out there ... they carry a big enough load going to school, playing/praticing football that getting to see all the schools they wish to see quickly is very difficult, these kids are under a tremendous amount of pressure to decide and find a place they belong, changing minds is part of the process.

I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't be allowed to change his mind. He is allowed and should be allowed and shouldn't be looked down upon for doing so-- and similarly coaches should be given the right to pull the scholarship offer. In the business world, if you sign an offer letter and then tell that company hey "I'm also going to keep interviewing"-- they're not going to treat you well and might find some excuse to pull the offer. Look, if Colon can find some way to secretly visit SU and evaluate the program, the more power to him, but to take a pretty public visit to flirt with SU...why should coaches honor the verbal agreement when a kid so obviously is not?

NYCorange said:
I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't be allowed to change his mind. He is allowed and should be allowed and shouldn't be looked down upon for doing so-- and similarly coaches should be given the right to pull the scholarship offer. In the business world, if you sign an offer letter and then tell that company hey "I'm also going to keep interviewing"-- they're not going to treat you well and might find some excuse to pull the offer. Look, if Colon can find some way to secretly visit SU and evaluate the program, the more power to him, but to take a pretty public visit to flirt with SU...why should coaches honor the verbal agreement when a kid so obviously is not?

Point still stands - they are not adults yet. Choosing a school as a HS junior should be different than marriage or a job arrangement (see bees? I heard ya :)

Very good post. The only issue with this sentiment is ignoring what's really going on behind the scenes with both sides trying to maximize their leverage for the highest valued offer and highest valued recruit. Sometimes we act as if both college and recruit are in just a simple, honest, open, relationship. In fact its often a manipulative one as well. You can't always tell me the school won't stop calling a player as soon as they get a better player or the player commits to colleges they've never visited to make sure they at least get's that scholarship then hopes for better ones. Its because there is immense competition for an asset that can't be official until way in the future. A lot of jockeying going on behind the scenes on both ends.

If they want you ... if they truly want you they don't pull that offer ... its a visit ... a free trip, if a school is that insecure screw em. Which is why Shafer lets kids take visits ... he wants kids to be just as sure about SU as he is about them. Franklin is insecure and acts like a bitch.

I understand both sides. To me, commitment has two definitions. The real life definition which means an unwavering promise. And then there is the recruiting definition, which is a momentary pledge. If you are a coach that won't take a commitment until the kid is 100% and he understands that the commitment goes both ways and no other visits will be allowed and the school will not look for anyone in his spot, then that is cool. But, if the coach pressures a kid into a commitment using all tactics possible, accepts the commitment, continues to recruit for that players position while telling him no other visits, then that coach is a scumbag. I am not saying that is what makes Franklin a scumbag, it is just part of what makes him a scumbag. I do prefer Shafer's approach. He preaches family, he doesn't seem to pressure kids and he wants them to be 100%. I think when you get a team full of fully committed players, they will work their butts off for eachother, like this group does.

Coaches taking advantage of a recruits ignorance. Almost scaring them into accepting the scholarship offer and then giving them an ultimatum regardings further visits.

There's only one way this will stop, the kids have to empower themselves and take their visits. Yes some coaches will look out for a young man's best interest, other coaches will look out for their own. At the end of the day, it's the players who need to change this, becuase the ultimatum is simply a more mature individual preying on the naivety of youth.

The part that really bothers me, if the coaches who don't allow additional visits recruit over said recruit, they will cut ties directly before signing day or directly after. This leaves the recruits with little to no options.

I understand both sides. To me, commitment has two definitions. The real life definition which means an unwavering promise. And then there is the recruiting definition, which is a momentary pledge. If you are a coach that won't take a commitment until the kid is 100% and he understands that the commitment goes both ways and no other visits will be allowed and the school will not look for anyone in his spot, then that is cool. But, if the coach pressures a kid into a commitment using all tactics possible, accepts the commitment, continues to recruit for that players position while telling him no other visits, then that coach is a scumbag. I am not saying that is what makes Franklin a scumbag, it is just part of what makes him a scumbag. I do prefer Shafer's approach. He preaches family, he doesn't seem to pressure kids and he wants them to be 100%. I think when you get a team full of fully committed players, they will work their butts off for eachother, like this group does.

I will NEVER agree with anything Penn State does, but there is a lot of validity here. Schools are limited to the number of scholarships offered and by taking Colon's commitment PSU had one less offer available to the next guy on their board. If the kid wants to continue exploring options and the school decides to move on to the next man up, so to speak, I guess I don't have an issue with that as long as both sides understand the ramifications. That's why I liked Boeheim's approach with Battle. Come and visit but only if you are decommitted first.

Then again this is Penn State so "WHAT LOW CLASS SCUMBAGS THEY ARE!"

were certainly all spinning our wheels here if colon has no interest in other visits and psu still really wants him.

Nahh Doug was gone by then.

So O'Brien's recruiting principles have nothing to do with ethics - just personal friendship standards? We never recruited a player that both Marrone and O'Brien wanted? If so, why not? Seems like it may have been a pretty skewed relationship when Doug was here and O'Brien was at Penn St. The scratching each other's back principle should always be mutually beneficial for the university that employs you - not just personally.

jgeorge322 said:
were certainly all spinning our wheels here if colon has no interest in other visits and psu still really wants him.

And/or if he doesn't fit with what we're looking for.

I in the thought that schools can only bring in so many players for officials which I think is 50 so you need to be fairly sure we are in the picture.

Decommitted from PSU. They certainly seemed to have been recruiting over him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom