Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

Fingers crossed. Really would like to see him join the squad. Think he'd have a very productive career here. Hope he sticks.

Of course he did. That is what an official visit to Florida gets a recruit. I mean come on...there could theoretically be a possibility of a 2 star commiting to Florida. They can't have that.

Yeah, I know. Sucks that it has to be that way.

DING DING DING.

Sadly their ratings aren't based on talent otherwise he would have been higher when they evaluated his tape.

I don't envy the talent evaluators of they are trying to be objective. I checked out film on the second rated dt Trenton Thompson (UGA) commit since he is similar size to our own commit Mr Clark then followed it with Stevens film for a fouth time. Thompson is damn impressive looking on film, and I'm sure will be very good, but only ever moved by his blocker or bull rushed him into the backfield. You don't she him engage and chuck a lineman while reading the play since he's going off size and strength. His production last season was 84 tackles and 4 sacks. Now Stevens film, while not as jump off the page impressive, actually shows a lot more fundementals. Now I'd venture to guess he coule bull rush guys into the backfield when he wants BUT he actually engages and dismisses one and often two defenders while reading and making the play. Steven got doubled and chipped quite a bit but he also plays a style that will keep his linebackers clean vs Thompson whom will no doubt get too deep and get run by when everyone else gets faster. Also, the OL he's running by will be pancaking his lbs at the next level. Oh by the way, Steven also had 84 tackles but had 10 sacks. That's even more impressive given the constant double teams.

So if you're only watching a minute of film, Thompson would jump off the page more until you pay attention to technique, form, and production and realize Steven could rely on strength (obviously has more than most) but instead plays better team ball while still getting his.

Yeah, I know. Sucks that it has to be that way.

In this instance I believe they just got it wrong. Your son is a a minimum 3 * talent and has been. Glad to have him on the OrangeTrain

I don't envy the talent evaluators of they are trying to be objective. I checked out film on the second rated dt Trenton Thompson (UGA) commit since he is similar size to our own commit Mr Clark then followed it with Stevens film for a fouth time. Thompson is damn impressive looking on film, and I'm sure will be very good, but only ever moved by his blocker or bull rushed him into the backfield. You don't she him engage and chuck a lineman while reading the play since he's going off size and strength. His production last season was 84 tackles and 4 sacks. Now Stevens film, while not as jump off the page impressive, actually shows a lot more fundementals. Now I'd venture to guess he coule bull rush guys into the backfield when he wants BUT he actually engages and dismisses one and often two defenders while reading and making the play. Steven got doubled and chipped quite a bit but he also plays a style that will keep his linebackers clean vs Thompson whom will no doubt get too deep and get run by when everyone else gets faster. Also, the OL he's running by will be pancaking his lbs at the next level. Oh by the way, Steven also had 84 tackles but had 10 sacks. That's even more impressive given the constant double teams.

So if you're only watching a minute of film, Thompson would jump off the page more until you pay attention to technique, form, and production and realize Steven could rely on strength (obviously has more than most) but instead plays better team ball while still getting his.

Steven's role in the defense this past year was mostly a contain thing, meaning that he wasn't supposed to rush much, and keep the play from gaining the edge when it came his way (which wasn't very often). In all honesty, many of his tackles were on the opposite side of the field.

To go further with the Trent Thompson comparison, here are Steven's highlights from his junior year. I filmed these and put them out on youtube. The Hudl highlights from his junior year were put together by some assistant coach no longer at the high school.

At 0:40 seconds, take a look; he fought off a quadruple team to make the tackle (no gain on the play).

bcubs9497 said:
To go further with the Trent Thompson comparison, here are Steven's highlights from his junior year. I filmed these and put them out on youtube. The Hudl highlights from his junior year were put together by some assistant coach no longer at the high school. YouTube Video At 0:40 seconds, take a look; he fought off a quadruple team to make the tackle (no gain on the play).

Sheesh. Kid is a beast. Cannot wait to see him destroying ACC QB's.

To go further with the Trent Thompson comparison, here are Steven's highlights from his junior year. I filmed these and put them out on youtube. The Hudl highlights from his junior year were put together by some assistant coach no longer at the high school.

At 0:40 seconds, take a look; he fought off a quadruple team to make the tackle (no gain on the play).

The 2nd best thing about that tape is your "yeaaaaah son!!!!" :)

Steven's role in the defense this past year was mostly a contain thing, meaning that he wasn't supposed to rush much, and keep the play from gaining the edge when it came his way (which wasn't very often). In all honesty, many of his tackles were on the opposite side of the field.

And that's what I saw watching the film but that doesn't make for an eye popping highlight reel in comparison. I feel like Steven could do exactly what Thompson did as well but instead was doing what his coaches asked whihc in turn is better for his team mates. Not knocking Thompson because he is probably doing what his coaches wanted as well but basketball wise it's akin to watching a guy throwing down windmill dunks vs a guy just going up and throwing down a simple dunk. No one points in a highlight that guy A misses 25% of his dunks while guy B jams every one.

So...are we gonna hear today whether we're lucky enough to have Steven sticking with SU 100% and ditching the Florida visit? ;)

Should. Florida is supposed to be at the high school around 11:30 this morning. Their coach wants me up there sometime late this afternoon. I'll know more after meeting with him.

bcubs9497 said:
Should. Florida is supposed to be at the high school around 11:30 this morning. Their coach wants me up there sometime late this afternoon. I'll know more after meeting with him.

Good luck to you guys. Either way an offer from another big school is validation for him. And that is good, I'd imagine.

Do me a solid and pull a WWE move: hit him with a folding chair and then spray paint "SU 4 LIFE" on his chest as you and Steven celebrate over his body.

Do me a solid and pull a WWE move: hit him with a folding chair and then spray paint "SU 4 LIFE" on his chest as you and Steven celebrate over his body.

Don't think I can pull that off any more; my psoratic arthritis would have me on my knees for days afterwards =D.

What I will do is remind Steven that Coach Daoust wants him really bad on the DL, with playing time this year. Also, will remind him that ACC OL and DL are just as big, fast, and strong, on the whole, as an SEC OL/DL.

Don't think I can pull that off any more; my psoratic arthritis would have me on my knees for days afterwards =D.

What I will do is remind Steven that Coach Daoust wants him really bad on the DL, with playing time this year. Also, will remind him that ACC OL and DL are just as big, fast, and strong, on the whole, as an SEC OL/DL.
Well then I can only ask that you walk into that meeting just like this:

Remind him we have Florida St, Clemson, Louisville, and LSU on the schedule this year, that's as tough as any SEC team plays.

I'll go one better. Syracuse has as many D lineman starting in the Super Bowl as the entire SEC.

Patriots R->L
Chandler Jones - Syracuse
Chris Jones - Bowling Green
Vince Wilfork - Miami (fl)
Rob Ninkovich - Purdue

Seahawks R->L
Cliff Avril - Purdue
Jordan Hill - Penn State
Tony McDaniel - Tennessee
Michael Bennett - Texas A&M (when they were Big 12)

I'll go one better. Syracuse has as many D lineman starting in the Super Bowl as the entire SEC.

Patriots R->L
Chandler Jones - Syracuse
Chris Jones - Bowling Green
Vince Wilfork - Miami (fl)
Rob Ninkovich - Purdue

Seahawks R->L
Cliff Avril - Purdue
Jordan Hill - Penn State
Tony McDaniel - Tennessee
Michael Bennett - Texas A&M (when they were Big 12)
Don't forget that it was a Syracuse DT who helped the Colts defense improve vastly after he returned from injury. John Clayton was even on Cowherd the other day talking about how Art Jones was the biggest reason the Indy defense improved so much over the course of the season.

Don't forget that it was a Syracuse DT who helped the Colts defense improve vastly after he returned from injury. John Clayton was even on Cowherd the other day talking about how Art Jones was the biggest reason the Indy defense improved so much over the course of the season.

You mean Art "Lift the entire weight room" Jones? Yeah, that's probably a very good player for young Mr Clark to model himself after.

So is this what I have been missing all this time by not following the BB forum closely? ;)