Duck Soup Postgame Thoughts | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Duck Soup Postgame Thoughts

Would everybody who still thinks Cope doesnt belong in the rotation please raise their hands ?

Was sorry he didnt get that last board for a double-double. Great all around game. His D and energy are thru the roof. Clearly player of the game.

Glad to see Starling coming along....two straight games he was making treys....huge if he can keep that up.

Thought Benny had the play of the game w that reverse dunk, though Cope and Mintz also had highlight reel plays.

Where was Hima - is he hurt - after his last performance he certainly deserved to see the court, especially in garbage time.

The improvement in last couple games is so apparent. This is what I expected and why I had so much faith in red. He holds people accountable, cheers them on, coaches when needs to coach them up and totally different vibe to the whole thing. These players are oozing with confidence you can see it. Even when it was 14-4 they didn’t panic. Clean up the turnovers but the coaching is great right now and the players are balling

Would everybody who still thinks Cope doesnt belong in the rotation please raise their hands ?

Was sorry he didnt get that last board for a double-double. Great all around game. His D and energy are thru the roof. Clearly player of the game.

Glad to see Starling coming along...two straight games he was making treys...huge if he can keep that up.

Thought Benny had the play of the game w that reverse dunk, though Cope and Mintz also had highlight reel plays.

Where was Hima - is he hurt - after his last performance he certainly deserved to see the court, especially in garbage time.
but 6th man - see how game is progressing - is a good role.
See: Dion Waiters among others

The improvement in last couple games is so apparent. This is what I expected and why I had so much faith in red. He holds people accountable, cheers them on, coaches when needs to coach them up and totally different vibe to the whole thing. These players are oozing with confidence you can see it. Even when it was 14-4 they didn’t panic. Clean up the turnovers but the coaching is great right now and the players are balling
fy1z.gif

When we start to play better teams we wont be able to afford getting down 10 early. Red has to figure out how to prevent that if he wants the luxury of using Cope in the 6th man role.
I am not criticizing Copeland. He’s played two good games in a row and he’s helped us win. But he is not Dion Waiters and he did not play well against Cornell, LSU, Virginia, Gonzaga, and Tennessee. Other guys played well in games Copeland struggled. The rotation is a game by game basis. Nobody outside of Mintz should have guaranteed minutes.

I am not criticizing Copeland. He’s played two good games in a row and he’s helped us win. But he is not Dion Waiters and he did not play well against Cornell, LSU, Virginia, Gonzaga, and Tennessee. Other guys played well in games Copeland struggled. The rotation is a game by game basis. Nobody outside of Mintz should have guaranteed minutes.
He is only a sophmore and didnt play a ton last year. He is getting meaningful minutes and is improving a ton. he should get 30 plus minutes.

i disagree. McLeod should have guaranteed bench.
And where the heck was Hima?!

He is only a sophmore and didnt play a ton last year. He is getting meaningful minutes and is improving a ton. he should get 30 plus minutes.
6 other guys are Sophomores too. Play him when he plays well. There’s been games he’s done nothing and Bell has put up 25 or Taylor had a double/double. The recency bias here is off the charts.

How did Oregon win 7 games? This is just their 3rd loss.

I compared their roster for their OT win against Michigan on Dec 2nd and their game against us and only 1 player, some kid named Barthelemy who scored just 2 points against Michigan was missing - who was replaced by a player named Reichle who scored 2 points against us. Oregon played 9 players against Michigan and 9 players against us. 8 players (all the starters) were the same in their win against Michigan and their loss today against us.

I will try to check the roster differences from a game they had in November and the one they just played against us. .
Good post. I think a few folks are over reacting to Oregon playing with some starters out. Our "bench" scored 44 points today. Bench = non starters!!!

couldn't watch the game since I don't have the right TV package so I had to listen to the radio. I heard some LGO chants. I heard the arena was small - like 3,500 capacity. What was the crowd breakdown?

6 other guys are Sophomores too. Play him when he plays well. There’s been games he’s done nothing and Bell has put up 25 or Taylor had a double/double. The recency bias here is off the charts.
Its not cause he is bye far our best defender and unless bell and taylor r stroking it from 3 not worth losing the defense and passing ability that he has.

couldn't watch the game since I don't have the right TV package so I had to listen to the radio. I heard some LGO chants. I heard the arena was small - like 3,500 capacity. What was the crowd breakdown?
some orange, some green, got loud at times.

oregon 4-27 from 3 (season: 39%)

Gtown 5- 26 (season: 37%)

LSU 2-22 (season 34%)

Cornell 9-33 (season: 34%)

UVA 12-21(season 37%) BUT only 4 made in 1st half before the team deflated in the 2nd

This team can SUFFOCATE opponents defensively

still have to cut out the easy buckets and mental breakdowns...theres still room for improvement.

for me this is the biggest difference with the new coaching staff...

I want to see defensive intensity be the first factor for playing time. and I think thats what we are starting to see...

oregon 4-27 from 3 (season: 39%)

Gtown 5- 26 (season: 37%)

LSU 2-22 (season 34%)

Cornell 9-33 (season: 34%)

UVA 12-21(season 37%) BUT only 4 made in 1st half before the team deflated in the 2nd

This team can SUFFOCATE opponents defensively

still have to cut out the easy buckets and mental breakdowns...theres still room for improvement.

for me this is the biggest difference with the new coaching staff...

I want to see defensive intensity be the first factor for playing time. and I think thats what we are starting to see...
It’s harder to make open 3’s against a man than vs zone. Don’t ask me why. But it just is.

It’s harder to make open 3’s against a man than vs zone. Don’t ask me why. But it just is.
long athletes in your face? wouldnt have mattered with girard and buddy...now it does.

this Orange team can be special defensively, imo

the players are starting to get it...copeland and brown get it...benny seems to be starting to come around

Its not cause he is bye far our best defender and unless bell and taylor r stroking it from 3 not worth losing the defense and passing ability that he has.
By far*. Taylor graded out better defensively than Copeland entering the game as did 4 or 5 other guys.

It really isn’t. I posted a study last year that looked at 100’s of games. The 3pt% against a zone was only something like .3% better than vs m2m.
some teams are better at 3 pt defense than others. its just a fact.

i think psycholgically why we are seeing the last stretch teams shooting well below their season avg from 3 is not coincidence but mental pressure they are dealing with vs the cuse defense...it wears them down and they get rattled.

whereas, i bet the opponents are shooting better vs Cuse this year in their zone defense from 3. its notn necessarily easier but the pressure is less intense...more comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom