Duke board full of whining babies: | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Duke board full of whining babies:

Why do opposing fans feel the need to go post on opponents message boards? I still cant figure this out

It's honestly really weird. I never understand it for any sport, but especially college teams.

Like why would I go to Duke message board and expect them to say, "I like Syracuse, they have a fine squad and nice young men and very nice fans that I would like to hang out with on my free time" I could give two ishs what they think and I expect they the same about me.

Dude, our 2 best players fouled out on 2 flops, and Hood's dunk at the end would've been called a foul in 99.99999% of games.

I've liked this board, but you gotta understand how those of us in Duke-land are reeeeaaaalllly pissed about the reffing in that game.

Well it's not like you haven't gotten tons of calls from refs over the years. You guys invented flopping.

That was not a Flagrant 1 foul. He was not tackled, he fell to the ground accidentally, it was not a dirty play.

Sorry, but it was a 2 handed push in the back. There was no effort to make a play on the ball. In soccer, that's a yellow card. It should have been a flagrant one under the rule book, but that would have ended the game right there and the refs didn't want to be accused of deciding the game with a call. I think the same mindset affected the call on Hood's dunk attempt over Rak.

are you serious? then every foul at the end of a game should be a flagrant because no one goes for the ball. they go for a touch foul to send the guy to the line.

No, players usually back at a guy's arm trying to get a steal.

Why should we have felt lucky to be in the game? We shot our season average percentage for threes, we just shot a lot because we knew we would have a lot of opportunities at it then. I think it's kind of ridiculous to say ___ did this better than usual or ____ did this better than usual. However you slice it both teams played a great game. I could point to Syracuse winning because CJ Fair had a career night last night. He shoots 45% on the season and last night shot 60% from the field. Instead of claiming that as a reason why Syracuse did as well as they did (which I would never do because it is completely out there to claim such a thing) I will tip my hat to CJ Fair for having an incredible basketball game and putting on a show and leading his team to victory.

Duke is an excellent three point shooting team. Last night we took a ton of threes. We had a lot of open threes. We made a lot of them. It really isn't that outlandish when you do the math.

Well first of all, Duke played a heck of a game. No doubt. And they are good shooters, recruited exactly for that skill. On the other hand, 35 3's seemed a bit over the top (chucking), and certainly the shot at the end of regulation was a bit desparate (the announcers said as much, so I don't think I'm out of bounds labeling it as an improbable heave -- lucky to keep Duke in the game).

As far as Hood's rejection by Christmas, credit Hood for being a man and taking it to the hole. But the rejection was an even better defensive play. Arguments for a foul are a stretch, and I think the tackle of CJ Fair, while probably a Flagrant 1, was better left an ordinary infraction (again, lucky to have that go your way to get a chance at another heave).

Not to mention that K had to use at least 3 TO's to blunt Syracuse's momentum. Each time, SU had built a lead and gotten the crowd got into it. Good coaching by K. But then again, Duke was lucky to stay in it for much of the second half.

Best of luck in the next game. I think we'll be the ones grumbling about the officiating, and I'm sure an even more ridiculous number of 3 point shots are going to fall for Duke at Cameron.

Maybe some day Duke will allow opposing fans to attend conference games there.

Last edited:
Why do opposing fans feel the need to go post on opponents message boards? I still cant figure this out
Agreed. Going on an opponent's board is an invitation to get clowned. It just is.

Agreed. Going on an opponent's board is an invitation to get clowned. It just is.

I go on opposing teams sites all the time. If I interact its usually done in the NCAA tourney, most are nice and respectful, nothing wrong with it.

I go on opposing teams sites all the time. If I interact its usually done in the NCAA tourney, most are nice and respectful, nothing wrong with it.
That's great.

I would clown on you.

And for the record fluke has made 15 or more 3's in a game, 20 times since the 3 point shot came into college. Vast majority of those against small schools. It was a question I had asked one of the dookies on here.

Okay, now that I can agree with--on both counts.

And the officiating this year isn't qualitatively much better than the preceding years, given the rule changes that were implemented / the ostensible areas of focus that precipitated the rules changes. I read an article a few weeks ago that talked about how some refs are frustrated by the rule changes and have reverted to just calling things like they have in the past. I'm sure that will lead to an even more concerted effort to get these issues under control after the season.
RF, that may be the case with other infractions, but my impression (anecdotal) is that the officials are mostly following the new rule that a secondary defender commits a block if he fails to set his feet before the ball-handler gathers for a shot - and makes contact. We might as well call this the "Triche" rule. Others may feel differently based on games watched. But I think there's improvement, at least on this one infraction (that was out of control IMO before the rule change).

One other (officiating) pet peeve -- offensive players who 'bounce off' defenders (i.e., initiate contact) and get a (blocking) call. This often leads to bigs getting in foul trouble (at least for SU) when all they're doing is playing defense with their hands up. I don't see this as a problem in the NBA -- because the officials either ignore contact initiated by the offensive player or call charges, even where the defenders are moving (as long as they've gotten to the spot first). I wish this could be corrected in college ball.

Last edited:
Wow that duke board holds a disrespectful bunch. Everything from we played the game of our lives to cooney being a white scrub. Incredible the disrespect of some of the posts over there.

Just to play (Blue)Devil's advocate(now that the Duke fans are gone and I can safely prep you for further debates), after all the mockery about relying on 3's, we made double digits ourselves tonight. That accounted for a higher percentage of our offense(49%), than Duke's 3's did. On top of that we hit an atypically high percentage of them. If couple of them miss, there's a good chance we lose to a struggling Notre Dame team on our home floor.

Good teams adapt to their opponent's weakness. I'm surprised that some on here act like it was a shock that Duke shot a lot of 3's against our zone, especially when it's an area they excel at, and that we'll now adapt somehow to take them away(at the expense of what?). Coaching is a chess match, and we had the 2 winningest in the game going head to head. If the shoe had been on the other foot after this closely contested battle you know darn well people on here would have been complaining about the refs, and complaining Duke took more 3's than they should be allowed to(lol). Hell, we have these same complaints and belittlement of other teams after we WIN.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to act towards fans of other teams(I'm all for individual liberties), but am merely trying to offer views from other perspectives that may help us all to have some more empathy. It may be difficult at times, but it's helpful when we can see a little bit of ourselves in each stranger's eyes. I often wonder if I'm a masochist after making such posts.

Last edited:
Wow that duke board holds a disrespectful bunch. Everything from we played the game of our lives to cooney being a white scrub. Incredible the disrespect of some of the posts over there.
A lot of good old boy elitist trash at Duke. Duke is an embarrassment. The cover up of the Lacrosse gang rape and the outright blatant racism at the school are disgusting. They do not deserve a man like Coach K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom