Duke board full of whining babies: | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Duke board full of whining babies:

Duke fans should not be disappointed in the officiating. They made inconceivable 3's from every spot on the court, including a leaning prayer/desperation heave at the end of regulation. Yes they can shoot, but some of those ... come on. Rejoice that you were in the game, Duke. Your coach and game plan were excellent. Your shooting bordered on the surreal.

As far as the calls, check out JP's rake on JG at 11:30 in the first half. That's foul #6, and there were a few others, including an obvious Flagrant 1 at the end. No I don't disagree with the call, but don't complain either. Hood's dunk attempt was blocked. I give him credit for taking it to the hole. I give Rak credit for making a great play and not fouling. Best non-call of the game.

This contest was decided by the players. And I'm sure Duke will be fired up when we visit the garage they have down south.

This is a clown thread right?

Dookies complaining about refs?

Dookies complaining about flopping?

The Hood dunk was no foul. Contact, which was caused by Hood, was made after the block.

The intentionals that weren't called may have been 50/50 but I would have called the Fair one. Two handed push to the back. But if you want a hard and probably intentional foul, take a look at Cooney getting blown up just before he got rid of the ball to Ennis on the other possible intentional.

And a 10 foul discrepancy is being whined about? 36-4 on 3 attempts says it all.

Are Dook fans this stupid? Dook LIVES on having refs in their pocket. Have for years. There's been video evidence forever.

I knew there was a reason I hated all this JB - K lovefest crap.

As expected. It's tough to lose a game that was that good, and of that magnitude. I'm still blown away by what I just witnessed...
You know I often think as a Yankee Fan what other teams games have as much drama.
Seems like that with us. Every game is a tapestry.

Duke fans should not be disappointed in the officiating. They made inconceivable 3's from every spot on the court, including a leaning prayer/desperation heave at the end of regulation. Yes they can shoot, but some of those ... come on. Rejoice that you were in the game, Duke. Your coach and game plan were excellent. Your shooting bordered on the surreal.

As far as the calls, check out JP's rake on JG at 11:30 in the first half. That's foul #6, and there were a few others, including an obvious Flagrant 1 at the end. No I don't disagree with the call, but don't complain either. Hood's dunk attempt was blocked. I give him credit for taking it to the hole. I give Rak credit for making a great play and not fouling. Best non-call of the game.

This contest was decided by the players. And I'm sure Duke will be fired up when we visit the garage they have down south.

Why should we have felt lucky to be in the game? We shot our season average percentage for threes, we just shot a lot because we knew we would have a lot of opportunities at it then. I think it's kind of ridiculous to say ___ did this better than usual or ____ did this better than usual. However you slice it both teams played a great game. I could point to Syracuse winning because CJ Fair had a career night last night. He shoots 45% on the season and last night shot 60% from the field. Instead of claiming that as a reason why Syracuse did as well as they did (which I would never do because it is completely out there to claim such a thing) I will tip my hat to CJ Fair for having an incredible basketball game and putting on a show and leading his team to victory.

Duke is an excellent three point shooting team. Last night we took a ton of threes. We had a lot of open threes. We made a lot of them. It really isn't that outlandish when you do the math.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Syracusefan.com

You're right, we don't lose and still bitch about the officiating after a win. Even more pathetic.

You're right, we don't lose and still bitch about the officiating after a win. Even more pathetic.

Oh Lord Sorry, but that is bunk.

No offense, but there is a huge difference between pointing out when officiating is poor [to say nothing of wildly inconsistent in some games], and complaining that refs cost you a game. And guess what? College basketball officials thought that reffing had gotten so poor that it was impacting the quality of play and the overall product, and they have taken first steps to correct this issue.

So apparently those who were critical of the way games have been officiated for the past few years--and the trends that were becoming more common in terms of what was being allowed--were onto something.

Why should we have felt lucky to be in the game? We shot our season average percentage for threes, we just shot a lot because we knew we would have a lot of opportunities at it then. I think it's kind of ridiculous to say ___ did this better than usual or ____ did this better than usual. However you slice it both teams played a great game. I could point to Syracuse winning because CJ Fair had a career night last night. He shoots 45% on the season and last night shot 60% from the field. Instead of claiming that as a reason why Syracuse did as well as they did (which I would never do because it is completely out there to claim such a thing) I will tip my hat to CJ Fair for having an incredible basketball game and putting on a show and leading his team to victory.

Duke is an excellent three point shooting team. Last night we took a ton of threes. We had a lot of open threes. We made a lot of them. It really isn't that outlandish when you do the math.
I don't care how good of a 3 point shooting team you are, 15 threes is an anomaly.

We'll see what happens in Part 2...and then again in a Part 3 I'm sure. Hopefully we are on opposite sides of the NCAA bracket so a Part 4 would be for a Championship.

Oh Lord Sorry, but that is bunk.

No offense, but there is a huge difference between pointing out when officiating is poor, and complaining that refs cost you the game. And guess what? College basketball officials thought that reffing had gotten so poor that it was impacting the quality of play and the overall product, and they have taken first steps to correct this issue.

So apparently those who were critical of the way games have been officiated for the past few years--and the trends that were becoming more common in terms of what was being allowed--were onto something.

excellent post

I don't care how good of a 3 point shooting team you are, 15 threes is an anomaly.

We'll see what happens in Part 2...and then again in a Part 3 I'm sure. Hopefully we are on opposite sides of the NCAA bracket so a Part 4 would be for a Championship.

15 threes is not an anomaly for a team that shoots like 40% from three on the season and shot what was it, 35 threes in the game? We basically matched our season average. If you allow Duke to shoot that many threes we will make a decent percentage of them- especially if we get as many wide open looks like we got last night. It was a great game, but Duke's shooting performance was no fluke when you factor in how the game was played on Duke's offensive end.

chs234 said:
15 threes is not an anomaly for a team that shoots like 40% from three on the season and shot what was it, 35 threes in the game? We basically matched our season average. If you allow Duke to shoot that many threes we will make a decent percentage of them- especially if we get as many wide open looks like we got last night. It was a great game, but Duke's shooting performance was no fluke when you factor in how the game was played on Duke's offensive end.

And CJ's night was no fluke once you factor in the way they played defense.

RF2044 said:
Oh Lord Sorry, but that is bunk. No offense, but there is a huge difference between pointing out when officiating is poor [to say nothing of wildly inconsistent in some games], and complaining that refs cost you a game. And guess what? College basketball officials thought that reffing had gotten so poor that it was impacting the quality of play and the overall product, and they have taken first steps to correct this issue. So apparently those who were critical of the way games have been officiated for the past few years--and the trends that were becoming more common in terms of what was being allowed--were onto something.

I get that and I agree with you that officiating blows. But it's on both ends, the way it sounds around here every 50/50 call goes the other way.

I get that and I agree with you that officiating blows. But it's on both ends, the way it sounds around here every 50/50 call goes the other way.

Okay, now that I can agree with--on both counts.

And the officiating this year isn't qualitatively much better than the preceding years, given the rule changes that were implemented / the ostensible areas of focus that precipitated the rules changes. I read an article a few weeks ago that talked about how some refs are frustrated by the rule changes and have reverted to just calling things like they have in the past. I'm sure that will lead to an even more concerted effort to get these issues under control after the season.

And CJ's night was no fluke once you factor in the way they played defense.

i never said it was. in fact i gave credit to CJ for a fantastic game and leading his team to victory.

Fine, apparently Duke fans think 15 threes is no big deal. Ok cool, our frontline will just maul your Charmin-soft big men...AGAIN.

Duke plays basketball like a glorified mid-major. It's cool that those teams use the three ball as an equalizer but when a high-major gears their entire gameplan around shooting a billion threes, it's sad

we shot well because you can't defend. The fact that you shot your average % and felt the need to exchange 3's for 2's to win should give you some pause. We will do a better job limiting the 3's next time. How can you defend us inside.

chs234 said:
i never said it was. in fact i gave credit to CJ for a fantastic game and leading his team to victory.

Good. I'd much rather rely on stellar inside play vs shooting threes. Plus, it will be easier to tighten the D up on our end than your paint D.

Should be a fun game at Duke.

Fine, apparently Duke fans think 15 threes is no big deal. Ok cool, our frontline will just maul your Charmin-soft big men...AGAIN.

Duke plays basketball like a glorified mid-major. It's cool that those teams use the three ball as an equalizer but when a high-major gears their entire gameplan around shooting a billion threes, it's sad

Well we have 4 NCAA Championships playing like a "glorified mid-major" so I will take that any day of the week. This will be last my post here ( not like anyone cares.)

I really thought I could find some decent discussion around here, and for a while I did, but after last night's game it went down hill pretty damn fast. Both teams played a great game. it was an unbelievable game to watch. i was expecting Duke's board to be bad because we lost, but not this one. You guys won, why act this way?

The three point line is part of the game and a lot of you here make it sound like it's a cheap tactic to playing basketball. Your zone takes away a lot of penetration and post play. It is extremely difficult to score in the paint against a good zone, especially the best in America. However with the proper movement and placing, you can find open shooters. Duke has tremendous shooters, so when we moved the ball well and found open guys for three and we knocked them down was it really that much of a surprise? Duke has some excellent shooters. They were given wide open threes. They made them. What is so ridiculous about that? if you give a good shooter he is going to make it most of the time. If you give Duke 35 threes and give them 20-25 open ones, I guarantee you Duke will hit about the same percentage they hit last night.

Syracuse played a great game. Duke played a great game. It's such a damn shame that it has to get to this point. It's so amazing to me that any neutral fan with an unbiased mind will say how truly amazing last night's game and how both teams were phenomenal yet when I go onto the Syracuse and Duke boards I get to read that the refs cheated for Syracuse, or that Duke is a glorified mid-major which is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. This "glorified mid-major" just provided the most hyped game in Syracuse regular season history (don't say it wasn't, your coach said so himself.)

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. You have a great team and a great coach. Here's to hoping for no injuries and a fun re-match at Cameron.

chs234 signing out.

Why do opposing fans feel the need to go post on opponents message boards? I still cant figure this out
Well, at least chs234 is an intelligent poster and wanted to have a decent conversation about the game. Not like having one of our favorite UConn posters like mauconn or some of his friends that just want to tell us how great they are (read as used to be) and how they are going to put the conference on their shoulders.

Duke is a great team. I am clearly not comparing them to a mid-major in the context of their program, but to say that gameplan last night wasn't mid-major ish is to ignore what we watched.

They can't defend and shot an absurd amount of threes.

They made a ton and therefore were in the game. If they make 15 next game then it's not a fluke, I'd rather be us because our style of play isn't dependent upon hitting double digits from long range.

You know what? I don't even care. I leave this game with nothing for respect for Duke. They fought like beasts the whole game and there was none of the chippy BS you get from Pitt or Georgetown. Yeah it was physical, but I hold no ill will toward them. It's the difference of them being a worthy opponent, both now and historically. Pitt is not that and it is one of the reasons I can't stand playing those turds. This was Ali v. Frasier.
Have to say the same for all the ACC teams we have played so far, except Pitt...now why is that! More of the same from Notre "Lame" tomorrow, and I hope our boys don't take them lightly!

chs234 said:
Well we have 4 NCAA Championships playing like a "glorified mid-major" so I will take that any day of the week. This will be last my post here ( not like anyone cares.) I really thought I could find some decent discussion around here, and for a while I did, but after last night's game it went down hill pretty damn fast. Both teams played a great game. it was an unbelievable game to watch. i was expecting Duke's board to be bad because we lost, but not this one. You guys won, why act this way? The three point line is part of the game and a lot of you here make it sound like it's a cheap tactic to playing basketball. Your zone takes away a lot of penetration and post play. It is extremely difficult to score in the paint against a good zone, especially the best in America. However with the proper movement and placing, you can find open shooters. Duke has tremendous shooters, so when we moved the ball well and found open guys for three and we knocked them down was it really that much of a surprise? Duke has some excellent shooters. They were given wide open threes. They made them. What is so ridiculous about that? if you give a good shooter he is going to make it most of the time. If you give Duke 35 threes and give them 20-25 open ones, I guarantee you Duke will hit about the same percentage they hit last night. Syracuse played a great game. Duke played a great game. It's such a damn shame that it has to get to this point. It's so amazing to me that any neutral fan with an unbiased mind will say how truly amazing last night's game and how both teams were phenomenal yet when I go onto the Syracuse and Duke boards I get to read that the refs cheated for Syracuse, or that Duke is a glorified mid-major which is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. This "glorified mid-major" just provided the most hyped game in Syracuse regular season history (don't say it wasn't, your coach said so himself.) Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. You have a great team and a great coach. Here's to hoping for no injuries and a fun re-match at Cameron. chs234 signing out.

Sorry you feel that way. I always thought it was basketball 101: better to rely on post scoring vs relying on the 3.

Now you guys really can shoot. It was damn impressive. I do think that you shouldn't rely on a repeat of that performance. JB will make changes to mitigate some of the open looks. I expect coach K to do the same vs CJ.

So many whining Duke fans. It is so unbecoming of such a great program. What excuses will they have when we beat their asses at Cameron?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom