Duke game - Scattered bullet points ... | Syracusefan.com

Duke game - Scattered bullet points ...

SU94

Starter
· In measuring class, how much classier was Coach K than Calhoun (6 OT game) in defeat? Light years is an understatement.

· Loved this quote “"Rivalry doesn't have to be hatred," Krzyzewski said. "A great rivalry is built on respect. A great rivalry is built on the respect of excellence of your opponent.”

· I think Duke scored at least one point on about 11 or 12 straight possessions from 19 minutes left in game to about the 10-minute mark. We could not stop them. We scored on the vast-majority of our possessions there too. Together, it was remarkable basketball.

· I simply do not know whether to feel good or terrible that Duke made fifteen 3’s and we won by 2 points in OT. My initial thought is good, they cannot do it again. Then I realize they missed 4-5 wide-open looks too and then I begin to feel terrible about the rematch. Who knows?

· I thought that the officiating was quite good. And, yes, we got the benefit of 1-2 calls that could have gone either way. But we should not apologize. Duke has had the benefit of 50-50 calls go their way for the vast vast vast majority of Coach K’s tenure.

· Cooney was gassed in the game’s last 5-6 minutes of regulation. He was a step slow on 4-5 three-pointers (Thornton, Suliman). Might need to use Silent G and Roberson a tad more going forward. I also don’t think that Ennis’ ankle is healthy yet.

· Taking the ’03 NC out of the equation, it is a good feeling to have won the 2 iconic games (6 OT, Duke) that our program has played in the last 10-15 years. I still say, however, that outside of ’03, the biggest win in the program’s history was beating GTown in last spring’s BE Tourney (after they beat us twice in regular-season). Fair’s dunk. Man, that was pure elation. At least speaking for myself.

· The hype for the return game at Cameron is going to be rather large. Will not be unlike St. John’s-Georgetown at MSG in ’84 after Mullin had led the Redmen to an upset win over the Hoyas in DC. That was the game where JT2 wore the shirt that chided Louie’s ugly sweater.

· The game at Cameron might just be the most hyped CBB regular-season game in 20 years or so. I mean, really, what was bigger? Maybe 30 years back for Ralph-Ewing. Or the game I mentioned above. There have been plenty of NCAA Tourney games along the way (Akeem v. Ewing being one of many), but the stake of the game becomes part of that equation too.

· In a strange fashion, that game was so good that it might hurt the ACC. All it does is reaffirm that the ACC is a hoops conference first and foremost. What the ACC needs is a game or 2 like this on the football side. Clemson/FSU had that chance and the Tigers crapped themselves at home and lost by 35-40 points. Ugh.

· So rare in any sport to see both teams perform at such a level where execution and effort are both extraordinary (did not happen in Super Bowl!). It happened on Saturday and it was a lot of fun.

· Let’s not underestimate how well Virginia is playing. Their defense is as good as it gets. Dont underestimate them because they don't score a ton. Afterall, wasn't this our role last year in the NCAAs? Yes, there is no ACC Regular Season Champ, but we want to win it anyhow. We are going to have a tough time staying ahead of the Wahoos, who have played the toughest games on their slate aleardy (outside of March 1).

Last edited:
· Let’s not underestimate how well Virginia is playing. Yes, there is no ACC Regular Season Champ, but we want to win it anyhow. We are going to have a tough time staying ahead of the Wahoos, who have played the toughest games on their slate aleardy (outside of March 1).

I have watched 3 Virginia games this year and have not been impressed at all with them. Not saying they are not capable of beating us but we would have to have a serious down night to lose to them. Would be sad to see them win the regular season title when they are at best the 3rd best team in the conference behind us and Duke.

· In measuring class, how much classier was Coach K than Calhoun (6 OT game) in defeat? Light years is an understatement.
· Loved this quote “"Rivalry doesn't have to be hatred," Krzyzewski said. "A great rivalry is built on respect. A great rivalry is built on the respect of excellence of your opponent.”
· I think Duke scored at least one point on about 11 or 12 straight possessions from 19 minutes left in game to about the 10-minute mark. We could not stop them. We scored on the vast-majority of our possessions there too. Together, it was remarkable basketball.
· I simply do not know whether to feel good or terrible that Duke made fifteen 3’s and we won by 2 points in OT. My initial thought is good, they cannot do it again. Then I realize they missed 4-5 wide-open looks too and then I begin to feel terrible about the rematch. Who knows?
· I thought that the officiating was quite good. And, yes, we got the benefit of 1-2 calls that could have gone either way. But we should not apologize. Duke has had the benefit of 50-50 calls go their way for the vast vast vast majority of Coach K’s tenure.
· Cooney was gassed in the game’s last 5-6 minutes of regulation. He was a step slow on 4-5 three-pointers (Thornton, Suliman). Might need to use Silent G and Roberson a tad more going forward. I also don’t think that Ennis’ ankle is healthy yet.
· Taking the ’03 NC out of the equation, it is a good feeling to have won the 2 iconic games (6 OT, Duke) that our program has played in the last 10-15 years. I still say, however, that outside of ’03, the biggest win in the program’s history was beating GTown in last spring’s BE Tourney (after they beat us twice in regular-season). Fair’s dunk. Man, that was pure elation. At least speaking for myself.
· The hype for the return game at Cameron is going to be rather large. Will not be unlike St. John’s-Georgetown at MSG in ’84 after Mullin had led the Redmen to an upset win over the Hoyas in DC. That was the game where JT2 wore the shirt that chided Louie’s ugly sweater.
· The game at Cameron might just be the most hyped CBB regular-season game in 20 years or so. I mean, really, what was bigger? Maybe 30 years back for Ralph-Ewing. Or the game I mentioned above. There have been plenty of NCAA Tourney games along the way (Akeem v. Ewing being one of many), but the stake of the game becomes part of that equation too.
· In a strange fashion, that game was so good that it might hurt the ACC. All it does is reaffirm that the ACC is a hoops conference first and foremost. What the ACC needs if a game or 2 like this on the football side. Clemson/FSU had that chance and the Tigers crapped themselves at home and lost by 35-40 points. Ugh.
· So rare in any sport to see both teams perform at such a level where execution and effort are both extraordinary (did not happen in Super Bowl!). It happened on Saturday and it was a lot of fun.
· Let’s not underestimate how well Virginia is playing. Yes, there is no ACC Regular Season Champ, but we want to win it anyhow. We are going to have a tough time staying ahead of the Wahoos, who have played the toughest games on their slate aleardy (outside of March 1).

Why does everyone keep saying there is no ACC Regular Season Champ? There is just like the BE.

if we go undefeated into Cameron and Duke doesn't lose until then it will definitely be the most hyped game in a long long time.

·
looking back after thinking about your comment, I actually think Ennis's ankle may have affected him on Defense since at the time I didnt notice much of a lag in his offense. i was thinking he was his usually steady/prolific self but the top of the key was awfully open most of the game, similar to maui which was before he started really getting the hang of the top of the zone. The ankle would explain this, and for cooney, the extra ball handling duties against ball pressure all game would have worn him out as well.

Good thoughts all, thanks for sharing

F ND

It was a great game (for offensive execution), but with some footnotes:
* Duke was in serious foul trouble for the final 10 minutes of regulation and all the OT
* Duke is not, at present, a top 15 team
* we could not stop them in crucial parts of the game.

Was it really better than beating G-Town in the BET, or beating Indiana & Marquette in the DC regionals? Again, it was a great game, before 35K, and the start of a great rivalry. And, in perspective, it was an early February game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom