Duke Gameday... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

Quality physical team win against a mentally weak, all talk Duke team. Fired up for Dordevic, hoping that Cook just got a sprain and he’ll be okay.

What's funny is if that shot goes wide there's no back up or if Adler makes the save then we're all grumpy that Dordevic took a bad shot in a close game.
Seems like it was the best possible shot. Pass from clary looked to be defended well so it was high And a bit late, tuckers momentum carried him so it made sense to shoot it in the manner he did. even if missed it was a good shot

Now I am no Brent axe fan but hard to disagree with him here!

How about a shoutout for Landon Clary? Not only does he cause the turnover on Duke’s best player, but he grabs the ground all and hoofs it all the way up field with a giant knee brace for the assist. Obviously the Tucker goal is why this thing is blowing up but what a great defensive play as well.

What a fun game to watch! The team was far more physical than they have been this year.

How about a shoutout for Landon Clary? Not only does he cause the turnover on Duke’s best player, but he grabs the ground all and hoofs it all the way up field with a giant knee brace for the assist. Obviously the Tucker goal is why this thing is blowing up but what a great defensive play as well.
He blew past the two Duke players. Just left them behind.

Those were some crazy caused turnovers from Caccamo in the first. Also a great game for Clary who looked like his old self despite the knee brace. Ssdms overall we’re rock solid. Wing play much better on face offs!

MVP is without question Phaup. That stretch of face offs he won in the 4th are the reason we won. Dordevic is just doing what he does at this point. He is an AA attack this year without question.

There was alot to like in this game. The stats tell the story, winning FOs, GBs, CTs, and rides. SU played with intensity and as a team. Passing was much improved and the team played much more physical than I've see in a long time. There some great hits that separated Duke players from the ball. Watching them warmup I noticed that Gavin was following the ball really well. I was hoping it wasn't a fluke and he did not disappoint. Duke had a real hard time clearing the ball thanks to SUs agressive rides. Man-down defense played well and the defense looked in sync with slides and doubles... I bet Petro was pleased.

I've been saying that we needed to be patience with this team and it looks like we on the cusp of seeing continuous improvement.

Dordevic was credited with 22 shots. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that high of a single game total for one player before.

There was alot to like in this game. The stats tell the story, winning FOs, GBs, CTs, and rides. SU played with intensity and as a team. Passing was much improved and the team played much more physical than I've see in a long time. There some great hits that separated Duke players from the ball. Watching them warmup I noticed that Gavin was following the ball really well. I was hoping it wasn't a fluke and he did not disappoint. Duke had a real hard time clearing the ball thanks to SUs agressive rides. Man-down defense played well and the defense looked in sync with slides and doubles... I bet Petro was pleased.

I've been saying that we needed to be patience with this team and it looks like we on the cusp of seeing continuous improvement.
It was so nice to see Cuse look like the faster, stronger, tougher team. I'm thinking that Gait and Petro have realized that there's such a thing as over-practicing and not being ready on gameday. Those GPS trackers may really be important. Last year's team often looked tired and slow which never made sense to me.

Great win but was anyone else thinking Gavin would be replaced at the end of the third ? He looked totally lost during the Puke run.

Dordevic’s was better.
I must admit, Duke had all the momentum closing in on SU's lead 11 - 10 at a little over 9 minutes to play. If Duke had scored it would have tied the game deflating SU. I'm sitting there on the 40 yd line thinking here we go again giving up what started out as a 6 goal lead earlier in the game. I have to admit I was getting pretty discouraged. Then the Cleary check, GB and sprinting down the field with his pass to Dordy; albeit a bit too high, was exciting, we were on our feet. Dordy's shot was electifying and turned the momentum completely around. So was it better than the other shots like this? Maybe in this case one could argue it was because of its effect on the outcome of the game.

I’m not down playing the significance of the shot it was awesome yet Brent Axe’s tweet makes it out like it’s something new. Could it be transformative for this team 100 percent yes. Yet Brent makes it clear this is how Gait wants to play well so did Desko so did Simmons this is how SU lax plays and has for a very long time maybe it’s the first time they have played that way this season or maybe Brent finally is paying attention to lacrosse

I’m not down playing the significance of the shot it was awesome yet Brent Axe’s tweet makes it out like it’s something new. Could it be transformative for this team 100 percent yes. Yet Brent makes it clear this is how Gait wants to play well so did Desko so did Simmons this is how SU lax plays and has for a very long time maybe it’s the first time they have played that way this season or maybe Brent finally is paying attention to lacrosse
I agree, SU coaches past and present want the players to feel the game and go with what works and us fans expect this level of play. I don't know what Brent Axe knows or expects, but it would seem this type of free wheeling is new to him. The key is recuiting the players that can execute at this level, fast players with extraordinary stick skills.

I agree. Has everyone already forgotten Dearth running the length of the field and shooting on the run down the alley in transition? It was a unbelievably sweet play by TD but really not anything that we can attribute to a new style of play.

I agree. Has everyone already forgotten Dearth running the length of the field and shooting on the run down the alley in transition? It was a unbelievably sweet play by TD but really not anything that we can attribute to a new style of play.
I agree that there have been many other great Cuse highlights over the years but everyone, media included, loves to exaggerate and get caught up in the moment. Given the recent disappointments, I can't blame people for getting carried away here. We had so much hope for last year's team with the world's best midfield, Dearth, Porter etc. - it's great to see Tucker take it to the next level. Tucker has had elite athleticism for years. The whole sequence from O'Neill getting stripped by Clary to Dordevic's goal was what we had expected from Cuse over the years.

Maybe the most important thing is the improvement in the D - if this continues, it will be huge. Gavin and Thompson will benefit from it and gain more confidence. Last year's unravelling of the D was painful to watch.

Those were some crazy caused turnovers from Caccamo in the first. Also a great game for Clary who looked like his old self despite the knee brace. Ssdms overall we’re rock solid. Wing play much better on face offs!

MVP is without question Phaup. That stretch of face offs he won in the 4th are the reason we won. Dordevic is just doing what he does at this point. He is an AA attack this year without question.
I leapt out of my feet at least four times during this game. Finally, when Clary began his dash down the field leaving Dukies in his wake and throwing the only pass that could have reached TD at all, I yelled what's Rick Beardsley doing back on this team. Now this is an SU team that any kid would love to play for. Congrats to all but especially to all three coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom