Duke Gameday... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

I’m not down playing the significance of the shot it was awesome yet Brent Axe’s tweet makes it out like it’s something new. Could it be transformative for this team 100 percent yes. Yet Brent makes it clear this is how Gait wants to play well so did Desko so did Simmons this is how SU lax plays and has for a very long time maybe it’s the first time they have played that way this season or maybe Brent finally is paying attention to lacrosse
have to disagree here. late desko era had way too many years under their belt of a cycling offense, and a cycling defense (slide to man but don't double, 1st defender recovers immediately) to think they had another plan. all in all, it looked like the vast majority of other schools. even with the shot clock era... was there a commitment each game to ride like animals, take chances?

it is too early to say gait wants it any different. but yesterday was to me a different look. well before "the shot". we'll see if it continues.

I leapt out of my feet at least four times during this game. Finally, when Clary began his dash down the field leaving Dukies in his wake and throwing the only pass that could have reached TD at all, I yelled what's Rick Beardsley doing back on this team. Now this is an SU team that any kid would love to play for. Congrats to all but especially to all three coaches.
I could say that about several games last year even though they lost last years Duke
game was very exciting as were the. UVA games even 2007 had some exciting games too especially UAlbany if I remember correctly. The verdict still out on this season definitely in an upward trend

Last edited:
have to disagree here. late desko era had way too many years under their belt of a cycling offense, and a cycling defense (slide to man but don't double, 1st defender recovers immediately) to think they had another plan. all in all, it looked like the vast majority of other schools. even with the shot clock era... was there a commitment each game to ride like animals, take chances?

it is too early to say gait wants it any different. but yesterday was to me a different look. well before "the shot". we'll see if it continues.
He was an extremely adaptive coach playing with what he had. In his early years he developed a hybrid of run n gun that could play A half set in an answer to stall ball. For the last 10-12 years he tried to address the face off issue and lack of possessions. My only gripe was their inability to recruit or develop an elite Fogo although I will concede it wasn’t from a lack of effort especially on Donahue’s part.My only other complaint would of been not opening up more during the Williams years which I’m not sure if it was the staff or the players Rice was probably the most cerebral player in SU lax history where in the past SU had players who threw more caution to the wind

I was not always a fan but I kind of liked having Matt Ward on the call. Felt like a throwback after all these carc anish and quint games, not that I hate those guys. Ward keeps the focus on the game and knows it well. Had some H0T Takes at times too. Said something to the effect of “Brennan ONeill off ball and when the defense is unsettled is unguardable, but off a dead ball whistle (as in dodging 1v1) he is a good player not great.” Think it’s a little more complicated than that but he is not too far off.

He was an extremely adaptive coach playing with what he had. In his early years he developed a hybrid of run n gun that could play A half set in an answer to stall ball. For the last 10-12 years he tried to address the face off issue and lack of possessions. My only gripe was their inability to recruit or develop an elite Fogo although I will concede it wasn’t from a lack of effort especially on Donahue’s part.My only other complaint would of been not opening up more during the Williams years which I’m not sure if it was the staff or the players Rice was probably the most cerebral player in SU lax history where in the past SU had players who threw more caution to the wind
honestly, i think you're saying some of the same things i am. rather than maintaining identity and forcing teams to match them, they did the opposite.

no one would be able to convince me cuse couldn't get the same type of players say, a brown had, especially as they were bringing in 50-70% more players every year and carrying redshirts to boot.

and the williams years points to the faceoff being a red herring. i'm most taking as "proof" at how the d was tasked. ctos focus, 3 guys running transition not 2 to the box. and even the best players there weren't takeaway artists. usually. obviously, the dearth runouts were noteworthy but maybe that says it too because they were more isolated.

anyway, not trying to make it a whole thing. just chatting. will be interesting to see what cuse is about this year on multiple fronts. their destiny in 2022 is still ahead of them.

I was not always a fan but I kind of liked having Matt Ward on the call. Felt like a throwback after all these carc anish and quint games, not that I hate those guys. Ward keeps the focus on the game and knows it well. Had some H0T Takes at times too. Said something to the effect of “Brennan ONeill off ball and when the defense is unsettled is unguardable, but off a dead ball whistle (as in dodging 1v1) he is a good player not great.” Think it’s a little more complicated than that but he is not too far off.
squeamish commentary at times or not, the acc enjoys more professional broadcasts than the b1g on average and the ivy and pat. imo.

the b1g as some good announcers when they get them, but the secondary games are tough to watch.

honestly, i think you're saying some of the same things i am. rather than maintaining identity and forcing teams to match them, they did the opposite.

no one would be able to convince me cuse couldn't get the same type of players say, a brown had, especially as they were bringing in 50-70% more players every year and carrying redshirts to boot.

and the williams years points to the faceoff being a red herring. i'm most taking as "proof" at how the d was tasked. ctos focus, 3 guys running transition not 2 to the box. and even the best players there weren't takeaway artists. usually. obviously, the dearth runouts were noteworthy but maybe that says it too because they were more isolated.

anyway, not trying to make it a whole thing. just chatting. will be interesting to see what cuse is about this year on multiple fronts. their destiny in 2022 is still ahead of them.
Really can’t argue anything wouldn’t want too either just good conversation

I didn’t start watching until 3-1 and thought Ward provided excellent commentary for the fact that he focused almost exclusively on the game.

Anish, Carc and Quint too frequently wade into off field anecdotes or inside jokes that take away from the experience at times.

Really not trying to be a jerk but half of his "points" are kind of troubling to me.

Berkman and Corsi are getting better, I agree. But Berkman is essentially a 10-yard shooter. He is a solid passer, and a fine player. But he won't take anyone to the cage and score. Not against top 20 teams. Regarding Corsi, he is getting better (or maybe was very good the entire time), but he's taken like 5 shifts a game before Duke, max. He barely plays.

I feel like Seebold draws the second pole. Berk is less of a threat than him as a dodger. Seebold has disappointed me a bit this season. Didn't expect him to be "THE GUY" and his numbers are solid, but my biggest issue has been his decision making and turnovers. IMO he has really struggled with his passing and has made/taken some bad decisions/shots.

A few thoughts on the game

1. Tucker should be in the conversation for first team all American honors. He is absolutely lighting it up and deserves a ton of credit. He has already out scored his previous years and should take as many shots as he wants. Theres no one who can stick with him. He’s too fast going straight but can switch back on a dime. Has the quickness of an nfl slot receiver. Kid is a beast.
2. Feel terrible for cook, I myself have maybe said some things about his play, but he will be missed if he’s out for the season. He hustled and laid his body out there All season long .
3. Curry was very good yesterday as well. If it weren’t for A few pipes, he was up there with tucker.
4. Gotta start Cordes and corsi with curry. Fiorini, buttermore should be running the second line with Tenaglia until Quinn gets back. These two freshman can play. I can see the coaches giving Ferris the spot as well but Tenaglia has looked bettter when played in my opinion
5. The defense was awesome again, kennedy and caccamo are the real deal.Kennedy pretty much played oneil perfect the whole game. He did finish with 3 goals. The one righty shot down the alley, there’s nothing he could of done there. One man up and one on Murphy in the zone but he certainly didn’t look like himself. He really has done a great job on the best attackman week after week. Still miss his play in the middle of the field. Caccamo has Been great. The kid has a knack for the ball and can pick off passes like crazy. Would like to maybe see fraternigo get some run as the third defender.
6. Gavin has been awesome, great addition to the team and is playing lights out right now. Seems like he gets the defense fired up
7. Petro should be paid as the head coach of this team, he is doing it all and doing a fantastic job.
8. This team is 4 pipes away in the Hopkins game from being 5-3 and in the top ten. Potentially having beat Maryland off Hiltz was available. Have to wonder if he could come back and play a few games while still getting a medical redshirt year. I’m sure the coaches will look into this if the NCAA were to allow it. I doubt they do but in my opinion, they should.
9. Phaup has been great. He put in the work and should be a mid season all American when that comes out this week or next. He has learned a lot of td it seems. Kudos to him.
10. Let’s keep it rolling in south bend before a game at Albany who just beat stony Brook. With a lot of ranked teams losing this week, will be interesting to see where we fall in the rankings. With Delaware, Lehigh, and Loyola all Losing, I am predicting us to be at the 15 mark but we shall see, a win at nd should do us very well. Need some teams to lose and we are right back in the mix of things. Lfg

1. Tucker should be in the conversation for first team all American honors. He is absolutely lighting it up and deserves a ton of credit. He has already out scored his previous years and should take as many shots as he wants. Theres no one who can stick with him. He’s too fast going straight but can switch back on a dime. Has the quickness of an nfl slot receiver. Kid is a beast.
2. Feel terrible for cook, I myself have maybe said some things about his play, but he will be missed if he’s out for the season. He hustled and laid his body out there All season long .
3. Curry was very good yesterday as well. If it weren’t for A few pipes, he was up there with tucker.
4. Gotta start Cordes and corsi with curry. Fiorini, buttermore should be running the second line with Tenaglia until Quinn gets back. These two freshman can play. I can see the coaches giving Ferris the spot as well but Tenaglia has looked bettter when played in my opinion
5. The defense was awesome again, kennedy and caccamo are the real deal.Kennedy pretty much played oneil perfect the whole game. He did finish with 3 goals. The one righty shot down the alley, there’s nothing he could of done there. One man up and one on Murphy in the zone but he certainly didn’t look like himself. He really has done a great job on the best attackman week after week. Still miss his play in the middle of the field. Caccamo has Been great. The kid has a knack for the ball and can pick off passes like crazy. Would like to maybe see fraternigo get some run as the third defender.
6. Gavin has been awesome, great addition to the team and is playing lights out right now. Seems like he gets the defense fired up
7. Petro should be paid as the head coach of this team, he is doing it all and doing a fantastic job.
8. This team is 4 pipes away in the Hopkins game from being 5-3 and in the top ten. Potentially having beat Maryland off Hiltz was available. Have to wonder if he could come back and play a few games while still getting a medical redshirt year. I’m sure the coaches will look into this if the NCAA were to allow it. I doubt they do but in my opinion, they should.
9. Phaup has been great. He put in the work and should be a mid season all American when that comes out this week or next. He has learned a lot of td it seems. Kudos to him.
10. Let’s keep it rolling in south bend before a game at Albany who just beat stony Brook. With a lot of ranked teams losing this week, will be interesting to see where we fall in the rankings. With Delaware, Lehigh, and Loyola all Losing, I am predicting us to be at the 15 mark but we shall see, a win at nd should do us very well. Need some teams to lose and we are right back in the mix of things. Lfg

Good post. On Hiltz, there's no med redshirt if he plays at all this year now. He's highly unlikely to see the field.

Tenaglia looks banged up too. Hasn't played since Hobart.

who do you guys think will be the next mid?

Corsi or Buttermore will bump to the 1s. Unclear who the new 2nd midline guy will be, depends on whose healthy. Potentially Magnan or Birtwistle if healthy

One of the most enjoyable games that Ive witnessed . Some starring performances but this was first and foremost a team win with so many contributions by so many players both vets and youngsters. Could list so so many.
Tucker should be in same convo as Gray, Shellenberger and others . Left Dome with smile not only for today but also tomorrow as the future is bright with the kids who will return and what is coming in. .
Phaup is overlooked, he has been not only excellent but wonderfully consistent which is hard to do at that position given varying matchups. His season to date ranks with the best . We are able to win the 4q because he won the 4q.
Victory marred by another injury that further lessens. More than half our expected starting offense is now out. Say this about Cook, he played out of position for team and his intangibles will be missed.
Im not sure how the rest of this season goes to be frank but kudos to players and staff for a well earned win that keeps hope alive.

Corsi or Buttermore will bump to the 1s. Unclear who the new 2nd midline guy will be, depends on whose healthy. Potentially Magnan or Birtwistle if healthy

Tenaglia looked to be in uniform at least against Duke. Maybe he is close to getting back? Quinn (and Rosa) upgraded from having their arms in slings to only having a brace on their hands. I doubt either would be back next week but at least it looks like they are progressing.

When Cook went out they bumped Corsi up to the first line. The second line I think only got one more run the rest of the game and they ran Curry out there with Fiorini and Buttermore. Someone said Buttermore was getting bumped up the ones. They've been playing Levine on the man-up, though he hasn't registered a statistic and I think he's only touched the ball a number of times. Wonder if he would get some runs. There are a lot of unproven options but it might just come down to who is healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom