Duke Gameday... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

i question whether arestia knows who 3rd poles are in the face of berkman in there. has berkman been drawing the #2 regularly?

Good point, I don't think so. I'm not an expert on the defensive hierarchy of other teams but I don't think Arestia is right on this point. Berkman had in fact been drawing a shortstick before Quinn got hurt. Seebold did draw Makar in the Maryland game, but I think for the most part he's been drawing the number 2 on most teams.

Seebold has been good the last few weeks - seven points against Duke and Stony Brook after only scoring three combined against Hopkins and Hobart. Hopefully he keeps it up. It was good to see him score off the dodge against Duke.

Berkman has been the definition of solid. I thought he should be taking more advantage of the short sticks he was drawing in previous weeks, but the bottom line is this offense is predicated on getting shots for Dordevic and Curry, no matter what. The rest of the players have to take what they get and Berkman has been doing that - making the right pass, but obviously not the spectacular like Hiltz would be delivering. And he's been canning his shots - he's shooting 40% on 30 shots (Dordvic has taken 93 and Curry 76). Given that he was thrown into the lineup at the last minute and asked to replace an integral member of the team, he's done an admirable job.

A few thoughts on the game

1. Tucker should be in the conversation for first team all American honors. He is absolutely lighting it up and deserves a ton of credit. He has already out scored his previous years and should take as many shots as he wants. Theres no one who can stick with him. He’s too fast going straight but can switch back on a dime. Has the quickness of an nfl slot receiver. Kid is a beast.
2. Feel terrible for cook, I myself have maybe said some things about his play, but he will be missed if he’s out for the season. He hustled and laid his body out there All season long .
3. Curry was very good yesterday as well. If it weren’t for A few pipes, he was up there with tucker.
4. Gotta start Cordes and corsi with curry. Fiorini, buttermore should be running the second line with Tenaglia until Quinn gets back. These two freshman can play. I can see the coaches giving Ferris the spot as well but Tenaglia has looked bettter when played in my opinion
5. The defense was awesome again, kennedy and caccamo are the real deal.Kennedy pretty much played oneil perfect the whole game. He did finish with 3 goals. The one righty shot down the alley, there’s nothing he could of done there. One man up and one on Murphy in the zone but he certainly didn’t look like himself. He really has done a great job on the best attackman week after week. Still miss his play in the middle of the field. Caccamo has Been great. The kid has a knack for the ball and can pick off passes like crazy. Would like to maybe see fraternigo get some run as the third defender.
6. Gavin has been awesome, great addition to the team and is playing lights out right now. Seems like he gets the defense fired up
7. Petro should be paid as the head coach of this team, he is doing it all and doing a fantastic job.
8. This team is 4 pipes away in the Hopkins game from being 5-3 and in the top ten. Potentially having beat Maryland off Hiltz was available. Have to wonder if he could come back and play a few games while still getting a medical redshirt year. I’m sure the coaches will look into this if the NCAA were to allow it. I doubt they do but in my opinion, they should.
9. Phaup has been great. He put in the work and should be a mid season all American when that comes out this week or next. He has learned a lot of td it seems. Kudos to him.
10. Let’s keep it rolling in south bend before a game at Albany who just beat stony Brook. With a lot of ranked teams losing this week, will be interesting to see where we fall in the rankings. With Delaware, Lehigh, and Loyola all Losing, I am predicting us to be at the 15 mark but we shall see, a win at nd should do us very well. Need some teams to lose and we are right back in the mix of things. Lfg
I agree with your analysis. I share your feeling for Cook. The kid really hustles. Didn't see him go down since I was focused on the hit where Kennedy leveled a Dukester. Kennedy got called on what what looked like a clean hit, albeit bone jaring.

As far as your number 7, I've been an advocate for Petro from day 1 and love the style and intensity he brings to the defense. He's provided the discipline the defense needed and suspect there is more to come, like keeping Murphy from turning his back on shots. At the end of the game Petro gave Cook a big bear hug which was priceless. That alone tells us a lot about the kind of guy/coach he is. Hope he is compensated such that no other head coaching job looks attactive to him. Wishing thinking.

This may not be universal thinking, but Gait's got it right. Let your assistant coaches do their job. Gait should provide guidance as needed. There is no reason to have 3 coaches, various assistants and trainers all yelling conflicting instructions at the players at game time. Coaches coach in practice ... players play in games.

Tenaglia looked to be in uniform at least against Duke. Maybe he is close to getting back? Quinn (and Rosa) upgraded from having their arms in slings to only having a brace on their hands. I doubt either would be back next week but at least it looks like they are progressing.

When Cook went out they bumped Corsi up to the first line. The second line I think only got one more run the rest of the game and they ran Curry out there with Fiorini and Buttermore. Someone said Buttermore was getting bumped up the ones. They've been playing Levine on the man-up, though he hasn't registered a statistic and I think he's only touched the ball a number of times. Wonder if he would get some runs. There are a lot of unproven options but it might just come down to who is healthy.

I like that the man up unit has Levine in there to try and change things up but he hasn't exactly looked comfortable out there and as someone astutely pointed out in the game thread he's wasn't really looking to get involved in the passing less taking a shot. Can't imagine he's a realistic option at this point.

Last edited:
Didn’t understand how that was a penalty, looked clean to me. If you look at Kennedy’s three hits over the last 2 games which have all been penalties, there hasn’t been a time where Petro lost it on him. In fact, it looks like they have smiled as kennedy heads to sit in the penalty box, Petro must like it. And I can’t blame him. I think it also sets an attitude regardless if they are penalties or not, opposing teams know we will lay the hammer, might play scared. Keep hitting

Depends on how game is being officiated . Watched numerous games on espn plus and wide difference in officiating games. Seen some wild physical games where bodies flying and others where there is much more contact allowed in local high school games. Haven't been to LI hs games recently but they use to let them play as they do in NJ. Did not think SB game was called evenly as they sent some of our players flying without calls. Watched UVA and ND contest last night and it was a physical game . Saw tuff as nails Kavanaugh bodyslam LaSalla to the ground off a running start with no call and many midfield collisions so Cuse has to be ready for same. Refs in that game eventually stepped in especially on UVA . Saw the same sideline reactions by Petro to calls that were questionable. Refreshing to have someone arguing calls on our behalf. Coach D was a gentleman and tended to restrain Rogers when hot but felt that restraint was never rewarded especially at home . Watch Corrigan fight for every call .Call it old school but even the NBA is realizing how soft their game has become and introducing changes. Boneheaded is when hits delivered to head ,after whistle or truly late rather than shoulder down hits coming off quick slides. Petro will let a player know when its boneheaded and Ill take Stephenson over any of the other Duke defenders because of the way he plays .Cuse defense in general is more physical than last. Olexo and Clary use body and former is improving his timing .Not showing up as caused turnovers is many rushed passes that go awry . No Surdick sized monsterso so nobody scared bcm lol . Banging wears both ways so Phaup wins in 4q has help keep d fresher, clear that d wore down at times last year . Transition D appears improved to me, cant pinpoint but Phaup is getting away quicker and deeper on wins, could also be improvements in on/off switching n likely greater emphasis on mids getting back. End of my spout

Seems like most big hits nowadays get called as a penalty. Commentators said his arms came up on the hit, which they did. I'm sure Petro doesn't mind taking a penalty once in awhile so the offense doesn't get to comfortable & hear footsteps.

Agree but arms came up after to go after the loose ball, it was a very questionable call that imo was made because of crowd reaction and opponent acting .Have said same when situation reversed .

Didnt watch Oscars but saw clip of Smith slapping all time fav Chris Rock who is hilarious Im thinking fake , that show ratings i n precipitous decline n smiths always seeking attention

Agree but arms came up after to go after the loose ball, it was a very questionable call that imo was made because of crowd reaction and opponent acting .Have said same when situation reversed .

Didnt watch Oscars but saw clip of Smith slapping all time fav Chris Rock who is hilarious Im thinking fake , that show ratings i n precipitous decline n smiths always seeking attention
The Kennedy hit was right in front of me and it was a great defensive hit. If you are on the Duke offense, its got to make you very tenative knowing you may be next. The crowd erupted and maybe that was the reason for the call. Unfortunately, I was one the fans cheering the hit, then booing the call. I'd like to review that hit again when its available so maybe new evidence may change my mind.

Not to pick on Murphy, but he had a number of opportunities to make a statement, but turned his back when his guy was in the process of shooting.

Seems like most big hits nowadays get called as a penalty. Commentators said his arms came up on the hit, which they did. I'm sure Petro doesn't mind taking a penalty once in awhile so the offense doesn't get to comfortable & hear footsteps.
These days it is tough to roll with that as your strategy with how easily they throw the flag. Aggressiveness is good, but taking a running start on a hit just gets auto flagged these days. Kennedy was always guaranteed a flag on that hit because of the running start. They treat that as if you are targeting the player. Ref practically threw the flag before the guy hit the ground. 10 years ago that ball is going our way, especially since the Duke guy possessed the ball right before Kennedy hit him. Can't be too mad at Kennedy because it's not like the guy didn't have the ball. Was more annoyed with him after the Stony Brook hit where I believe the victim in question had clearly just lost the ball.

Refs these days seem to actually give consideration to if you are rolling around on the ground acting hurt, which is total nonsense. I swear I have seen refs wait to see if the guy who got hit stays down or not before throwing the flag. Leads to more players selling calls, which is already a problem across all sports. I think we have to have a certain amount of discipline to our approach. Any advantage to intimidating the opponent is not worth it if you are man down all day. Also have to consider that our man down defense is far from perfect.

The Kennedy hit was right in front of me and it was a great defensive hit. If you are on the Duke offense, its got to make you very tenative knowing you may be next. The crowd erupted and maybe that was the reason for the call. Unfortunately, I was one the fans cheering the hit, then booing the call. I'd like to review that hit again when its available so maybe new evidence may change my mind.

Not to pick on Murphy, but he had a number of opportunities to make a statement, but turned his back when his guy was in the process of shooting.
Murph was a physical dm when playing position in 19. Recall him lunging his body into Nanikoke and a Duke crease player in 19 without calls.. Actually admired Tehoka that day for taking hits from him and Tyson B without a flinch or complaint. Good right back up to play. .. Think a short stick dm needs to rely on using body more than stick and Murph as help defender using pole for stick checks more than his body these days. He's usually solid .

These days it is tough to roll with that as your strategy with how easily they throw the flag. Aggressiveness is good, but taking a running start on a hit just gets auto flagged these days. Kennedy was always guaranteed a flag on that hit because of the running start. They treat that as if you are targeting the player. Ref practically threw the flag before the guy hit the ground. 10 years ago that ball is going our way, especially since the Duke guy possessed the ball right before Kennedy hit him. Can't be too mad at Kennedy because it's not like the guy didn't have the ball. Was more annoyed with him after the Stony Brook hit where I believe the victim in question had clearly just lost the ball.

Refs these days seem to actually give consideration to if you are rolling around on the ground acting hurt, which is total nonsense. I swear I have seen refs wait to see if the guy who got hit stays down or not before throwing the flag. Leads to more players selling calls, which is already a problem across all sports. I think we have to have a certain amount of discipline to our approach. Any advantage to intimidating the opponent is not worth it if you are man down all day. Also have to consider that our man down defense is far from perfect.
Doubt you were at SB game?. Only person that matters if annoyed was Petro and he wasn't Quite the opposite . Are quick players making quick slides running starts . Known and act getting old. Duke player caught ball and move in two steps and receive clean hit before able to pass off to wide open Oneill on side. Should have been caused turnover and transition upfield instead of penalty. Saw another critique that K shouldn't have slid to a wide open McAdorey ten feet out because left Oneill to be covered by Murphy . SMH

Doubt you were at SB game?. Only person that matters if annoyed was Petro and he wasn't Quite the opposite . Are quick players making quick slides running starts . Known and act getting old. Duke player caught ball and move in two steps and receive clean hit before able to pass off to wide open Oneill on side. Should have been caused turnover and transition upfield instead of penalty. Saw another critique that K shouldn't have slid to a wide open McAdorey ten feet out because left Oneill to be covered by Murphy . SMH
Kennedy has always had an edge to his play - difficult to rein it in and probably best to live with the occasional over-aggressive mistake. Overall, I thought it was one of his best games. It may have been Duke's sluggishness, but he looked very fast well into the 4th quarter.

Wasn’t wide open offense and super physical defense what Syracuse was known for about 25 years? We should be delighted that’s what we saw on Saturday.

The refs will continue to have a problem with hits that the player being hit doesn’t see coming or that are high. Kennedy’s hit seemed clean to me, but maybe it was high in the official’s mind. These plays occur in an instant and sometimes the noise is enough to draw a flag. I hit you at speed and your stick hits your helmet, flag probably flies because of how quickly the play developed. Refs are human.

As for Murphy turning his back, he did. Sorta. If you go back and look, he was trying to throw hip checks. Perhaps ill-advised, but I don’t think he was just ducking.

Wasn’t wide open offense and super physical defense what Syracuse was known for about 25 years? We should be delighted that’s what we saw on Saturday.

The refs will continue to have a problem with hits that the player being hit doesn’t see coming or that are high. Kennedy’s hit seemed clean to me, but maybe it was high in the official’s mind. These plays occur in an instant and sometimes the noise is enough to draw a flag. I hit you at speed and your stick hits your helmet, flag probably flies because of how quickly the play developed. Refs are human.

As for Murphy turning his back, he did. Sorta. If you go back and look, he was trying to throw hip checks. Perhaps ill-advised, but I don’t think he was just ducking.
I agree, Murphy was using his hips. I'm not a fan of them, unless on stick side. It appeared that he had time to get in front of the stick in the process of shooting. Although, hip checks are very effective in hockey.

I agree, Murphy was using his hips. I'm not a fan of them, unless on stick side. It appeared that he had time to get in front of the stick in the process of shooting. Although, hip checks are very effective in hockey.
The one he threw on O’Neill on, I believe, Duke’s last goal was definitely a head scratcher. That big hit on Nanticoke that someone referenced earlier was a hip check, but Bomberry threw his hip and butt into Nanticoke’s midsection after a running start. Going hip to hip on O’Neill without a running start was foolhardy.

Agreed on both points and I would add it looked like the Duke player's head snapped back from the hit which may also have influenced the call--I didn't think it was a hit to the head. Also, I have seen Murphy hit by shots, earlier this season he took one in the neck and head area-- I give him a pass on turning his back to the shooter.

Yep, he had one penalty last year playing his old position the same fast and aggressive way and that isn't changing nor should it change. He tops all on those game speed measurements that gait bought .Probalbly the fastest defender in game but dropped down to cover ones for team and its worked out well so far. He gets toughest assignments and current package has him sliding more than Mellen who was terrific against most but more stick to cover.. Loudly criticized K for that unnecessary slide off Nichtern and also one off Shellenberger but otherwise most slides necessary and at times disruptive. Wish he would have taken some shots that were available on upfield bursts but obvious taking his new role seriously and not going to get caught too far upfield. .Learning from the d GOAT and covering Dordevic in practice has to be beneficial and he's now able imo to play either lsm or close in plll. . Let me move on to others while throwing compliments . Stuzin of Yale and Van Buren of OSU had the high rankings coming in and got the early ink but Caccamo has been as good or better than either. Great stick and instincts, Cuse D gonna be in very good hands in years going forward with him and others. Murph as Powell noted went for hitches but outlier as he's usually fundamentally sound , cringe when he places himself to takes those shots to body n incredulous how he picks off cross crease passes . One of the bright spots in an otherwise awful Gtown game was Murphs clamp on Haley .Thought d was coming together last year but injury to a underrated Dp set back unit but crawling back . Impressed with Olexo , he and Clary will be a fine lsm combo for years as will Rice and Aviles at dm . Not going to claim team defense is up there yet but its progressing with individual play starting to mesh under Petros instruction. End of another spout.

Gotta love the development of Cordes and Corsi. I mentioned previously to watch and see what youngsters step up during this rebuild.

Kennedy hit was clean. Love Petro getting this D physical and aggressive. CNY ball imo, play fast and physical.

Last edited:

21_22_SPG_MLAX_POW_WebHeader_3_29.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom