Duke loses to High Point 13-9 | Syracusefan.com

Duke loses to High Point 13-9

Wowzer. Would not want to be at the Duke practices starting tomorrow.

The parity of lacrosse today is crazy; especially with the Shot Clock. The #1 Ranked Defense in the country with 2 AA's gave up 13goals to a school that was selected to finish 2nd in the SoCon.

Duke's true defensive strength imo is their defensive coordination, schemes and hard riding at mid field more so than any individual talents .

They faltered late in all those regards

Last year Duke beat HP 18-6 in their opener. HP lost eight of nine to start 18' but closed out with five straight wins where they held opponents to less than double digits in each. That goalie was tremendous

DoctahLexus did his homework, good pick by him

Duke's true defensive strength imo is their defensive coordination, schemes and hard riding at mid field more so than any individual talents .

They faltered late in all those regards

Last year Duke beat HP 18-6 in their opener. HP lost eight of nine to start 18' but closed out with five straight wins where they held opponents to less than double digits in each. That goalie was tremendous

DoctahLexus did his homework, good pick by him

Ha! You are giving me too much credit there sir. The "homework" was thinking "hmmm Brad Smith no play. Guterding no here. Asher Nolting good. Win by 7 no easy." And Smith ended up playing anyways. But I'll take it!

The interesting thing to me isn’t the loss it’s Montgomery only having 2 points in 2 games

Montgomery was a serious threat especially towards the end of last year but he didn't exactly blow up the stat sheet, ending the year at 14 goals and 2 assists. That seems quite low based on the amount of separation he was able to get from the defense. He may get a lot of "hockey assists" from drawing slides so often. I felt the same way about Fletcher on Cornell. He seemed like the most lethal dodger on Cornell by a long shot but in the end was 6th on the team in points. But I'm sure if there was a "slides drawn" statistic that was properly kept he would come out in 1st or 2nd.

Don’t sleep on HP they are legit team! Duke was sloppy with many turnovers and penalties - retaliation etc and very undisciplined, they could have had more penalties for off ball activities. HP where hungry all over the field and deserved the win! I know Duke are known for slow starts and that they have the talent but how long can you continue with this model, I think the coaching staff could be called out for not getting their team prepared.

Montgomery is the guy and as a great first step he’s going to be their star for the rest of his career. They are looking for players to step up to replace Gutterding I guess which is a big ask!

The thing that really stuck out for me was the lack of dodging by Duke's attack. Manown was the only one who could beat his man. Also, Brad Smith is clearly not 100%, he could barely run. Seau was the only dodging threat from the Midfield.

The thing that really stuck out for me was the lack of dodging by Duke's attack. Manown was the only one who could beat his man. Also, Brad Smith is clearly not 100%, he could barely run. Seau was the only dodging threat from the Midfield.

Guterding was a bigger loss then most pundits realized. He's been the main guy running that O the last two years, with him gone its a massive hole in that offense and teams can put their best defender elsewhere. Manown is a good player but he's not at Guterdings level, Duke's going to take a while to adjust without Guterding especially with Smith still hurt.

Robertson wasn’t as good without Guterding, either. He wasn’t the afterthought against HP that he was last year

Robertson wasn’t as good without Guterding, either. He wasn’t the afterthought against HP that he was last year
Robertson is a great finisher, but there was no one to draw the slide and feed him. He couldn't beat his man when he was carrying the ball either.

I had to look up to see where High Point was located. 90 minutes down the road from Durham. Definitely must have some guys who wish they were in Devil Blue. Respect the victory. Am I going crazy or did High Point upset Virgina a few years ago?

Guterding was a bigger loss then most pundits realized. He's been the main guy running that O the last two years, with him gone its a massive hole in that offense and teams can put their best defender elsewhere. Manown is a good player but he's not at Guterdings level, Duke's going to take a while to adjust without Guterding especially with Smith still hurt.
I agree and it's not just about his points. He ran their offense and even when he wasn't lighting up the scoreboard defenses had to account for him and that alone opened space for the other 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom