Duke postgame thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Duke postgame thread

So down in Florida visiting my parents. I’m taken back to just being a boy watching a game with my dad. It’s a big game, student section is packed, crowd is amped up, former players are in attendance. But unlike watching John Thompson getting thrown out of the dome in 89 and an OT win, I watch Duke pummel us. Honestly do I care, no not really it was about being with my parents and feeling like a kid again for a short time. My point is Cuse basketball is about memories for me, good times, amazing times spent with friends and family. It’s about future memories when I take my son to games when he is a little older. It’s not about one game or one coach and it never will be. Coach JB was a large part of my childhood but as you get older you cant hold on to everything. Something need to change, when should it be? probably should have been last year. Will it be this year, I don’t think so, but it’s time. I’m not demanding anything, I’ll be patient as it will happen at some point but how much longer can the fan base tolerate it. That is the question

So this thread has also turned into a JB thread, and less about tonight's game. Maybe that is telling us something. So tonight a large game watch was held in AZ. Now there are a couple of goals for alumni engagement. Some are the obvious ones, and most of all it is to keep alumni engaged, connected and excited about our school. In the end the hope is for funds to be raised. Well this program is now becoming an anti fundraiser. Pretty much the topic for the last 30 minutes of the game, and for 30 minutes after the game was about when will he go. Did anyone want to get together again this year to do another game watch...no. So there is the bottom line. This goes well beyond game and the sport. It is putting a huge dent in the ability to engage our alumni, and it is hard to give them that warm fuzzy feeling about SU right now. Another big topic, the treatment of the student reporter, and how the coach should be a teacher, mentor, etc of our students, not just our athletes. They all thought his behavior towards that student alone should be disqualifying for him. The fact that we are mostly talking about this, shows how deep and how far it has come. I spent a lot of time keeping my ears open and listening to these conversations going on at 6-8 different tables.
My last point, is this can not be fun for this man. He is not having a good time. So is it just too hard to walk away? Probably. Go watch Buddy play. Go overseas and watch Jimmy play. Be a mentor for the SU program going forward, without being the coach. We aren't going to forget about you. We are just ready for the next gear of SU basketball.

Last edited:
So this thread has also turned into a JB thread, and less about tonight's game. Maybe that is telling us something. So tonight a large game watch was held in AZ. Now there are a couple of goals for alumni engagement. Some are the obvious ones, and most of all it is to keep alumni engaged, connected and excited about our school. In the end the hope is for funds to be raised. Well this program is now becoming an anti fundraiser. Pretty much the topic for the last 30 minutes of the game, and for 30 minutes after the game was about when will he go. Did anyone want to get together again this year to do another game watch...no. So there is the bottom line. This goes well beyond game and the sport. It is putting a huge dent in the ability to engage our alumni, and it is hard to give them that warm fuzzy feeling about SU right now. Another big topic, the treatment of the student reporter, and how the coach should be a teacher, mentor, etc of our students, not just our athletes. They all thought his behavior towards that student alone should be disqualifying for him. The fact that we are mostly talking about this, shows how deep and how far it has come. I spent a lot of time keeping my ears open and listening to these conversations going on at 6-8 different tables.
My last point, is this can not be fun for this man. He is not having a good time. So is it just too hard to walk away? Probably. Go watch Buddy play. Go overseas and watch Jimmy play. Be a mentor for the SU program going forward, without being the coach. We aren't going to forget about you. We are just ready for the next gear of SU basketball.
This is an important post. I’m sure it’s the same conversation going on in every alumni setting these days. I know it is amongst my friends. Everyone is very ready to move on. The goodwill that JB burned over the past couple years is remarkable.

The kid needs to put on 20 lbs of muscle. Hes a young kid who probably shouldnt be playing much yet. It doesnt mean he sucks. Weve had plenty of good players who didnt play at all or “sucked” their freshman year.

That said, I am not boosting up the state of the situation. But focusing on Bell is offbase imho.
You could put 100 lbs of muscle and his effort isn’t going to change. Rebounds bounce in front of him and he doesn’t get them. Cole Swider was a historically bad defender for Nova, and Jimmy was Jimmy, and I’d take either one of them over Bell on defense, I’ve never seen so many open shots from a side of the zone as he allows.

You could put 100 lbs of muscle and his effort isn’t going to change. Rebounds bounce in front of him and he doesn’t get them. Cole Swider was a historically bad defender for Nova, and Jimmy was Jimmy, and I’d take either one of them over Bell on defense, I’ve never seen so many open shots from a side of the zone as he allows.
I had plenty of complaints about Jimmy playing. None were about his effort. He just wasn’t good enough. Bell issue is effort, especially on the boards. He simply either doesn’t know how to box out or doesn’t want to.

I had plenty of complaints about Jimmy playing. None were about his effort. He just wasn’t good enough. Bell issue is effort, especially on the boards. He simply either doesn’t know how to box out or doesn’t want to.
I had complaints about Jimmy too, but I’d give my left nut to have him back. Bell isn’t good enough to be here, he wouldn’t have even gotten an offer 5 years ago. If he is good enough to play here we’re in a lot of trouble if he is the new standard of player. I have spent 4 years of watching Joe Girard starting every game, I’m not spending 4 watching Bell.

I will not join the vicious lynch mob and rip on a man that has done so much and bern such a big part of my life as a cny sports junkie and a fanatical Orange fan. A man who has also raised millions of dollars for Cancer Research. I believe it’s time for him to say good bye , but I will wait for him to get to that conclusion patiently …. because he deserves my patience.
Listen, nobody saying he’s not a great man, but right now he’s not the right coach for this program

He’s soft and has zero idea how to compete.

Probably grew up doing lots of cool individual drills with a trainer. Has probably never hooped on an outdoor court in his life.

Except the head coach for years has preached we dont box out…

Yeah but you gotta admit that was an awkwardly bitter response. It did not come off as deliberately complementary at all
What was acceptable as an answer? He said that he is a very good player. He repeated a few times how they totally took away our inside game. What was he supposed to say, why would he be expected to talk about the development of an opposing player? We had recruited him, as the reporter already noted, so of course the reporter knew he was respected as a good player by SU. Was he supposed to go on and on praising him? Personally, I would have just said that I thought he should declare for the draft and watch everyone’s head explode. :)

Impactful post here.

Great post.
it is time. He is destroying that which he built.

The portal better get attacked this off-season….because I can say with 100% certainty Taylor starting at the 2 and Bell starting at the 3 next season as some have mentioned is NOT the answer. They looked like they did not belong anywhere near the court.
Don’t suspect the portal will be a big focus unless we need depth. The focus now is on the class of 24, and we’re not going to bring in players who will scare those recents away. Best hope next year is that Edwards and Girard return.

eh i think it was a sly reference to the fact that he recruitED a lot of playerS last season and he was one of them

implication being they missed on a lot of players and he was a good one...didnt seem bitter...more sly...as if, explaining why they suck this year...(recruiting misses)

they were involved with a ton of players last off season
But I thought it was best freshman class ever?

Great post, needs those voices from alumni to be heard

How much does Coach B talk to Coach K? “A couple of times this year. He’s doing well. He’s happy. He’s 72 and was in coaching for 50 years. That’s enough. When you retire and you’re past 70 – you do nothing.”
JB quote from SWC75's report on last week's call-in show.

He’s 72 and was in coaching for 50 years. That’s enough. When you retire and you’re past 70 – you do nothing.”

Last post in the thread. Surprised no board discussion of this JB quote(?)
The inference that 50 years coaching is enough?
When you're past 70 and retired, you do nothing?

Re-read this loaded quote a few times. Unable to process/make sense of it.
JB said K is doing well, happy, then follows that with "when you retire and you're past 70, you do nothing"(?)
Approaching age 80, is "doing nothing" JB's fear of life after retirement, and why he can't retire though the program is in long-term decline and coaching is no longer fun?
I think that is the bottom line explaining this ongoing bizarre scenario.
JB is afraid to retire.

Destroyed by Colgate to start the season because of his inability to adjust Ds. Destroyed by a mediocre Duke team at home in front of the largest basketball crowd to watch a game this year to essentially end the season because he doesn't adjust.
Its time for Gus to exit stage right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom