Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

Dude, they changed the collective bargaining agreement a few years ago. Guaranteed money for rookies is less than it used to be and the contracts are shorter. You have to get enough court time to earn the second contract. That's where the money is these days. You have to be good enough to get that second contract.
Well, dude...they are fully guaranteed for 2 years but a team can hold a player for 5 years. Outside of absolute busts, show where teams are not picking up options.

this thread is a nightmare..complete nightmare

We all want Mali to return but if he decides to take his talent to the nba, lets support him and represent cuse in the nba. It's a good thing that we have been putting a lot of players in the nba lately. We can make a case for pretty much everyone who left, who should have stayed...not many of us would turn down a chance to complete your dreams while make millions of dollars.

and he is on the 1st round radar
http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Part of this is about ego, but thats ok too... Maybe we should just trash this entire thread and have a rule on this board against these threads as a whole. Maybe that tweet references this thread. Who knows...

I just don't see Mal being in the top 50 players when you take into consideration the 7-8 international players who are going to get drafted.
I don't believe for a moment that Malachi has't be scouted/"noticed. I also KNOW that basketball GMs will take a flyer on a young player banking on improvement to the point that they may have no chance at getting him in the near future.

I never said he wasn't noticed. I said he wasn't mentioned. Could be what Pearl 31 just said. We will know after he works out. Until then who knows? He shouldln't go near an agent until he has gotten feedback from whomever he worked out for. Then it's up to him.

Wasn't mentioned by who? All of the GMs that can't talk about any specific prospects publicly, seems odd.

Part of this is about ego, but thats ok too... Maybe we should just trash this entire thread and have a rule on this board against these threads as a whole. Maybe that tweet references this thread. Who knows...
Not sure if you are joking...but that is doubtful. What idiot actually asks a 20 yr old ...so weird. Would be cool if Mali was reading this though. Haha.

I think it is just that we have been burned so many times in recent history it would be nice to get a great player back for another year. Seems like we could have a good mix of shooters and post players. In the past couple years we have had one or the other but couldn't put them both on the court.

I understand he's a young kid but there's no reason to snub the fan base. He should have said something a little more graceful like "I appreciate your comments but I will decide what is best for the future of my basketball career. Please let me decide on my own."

I understand he's a young kid but there's no reason to snub the fan base. He should have said something a little more graceful like "I appreciate your comments but I will decide what is best for the future of my basketball career. Please let me decide on my own."
That's not snubbing the fanbase. Nothing at all wrong with his response, IMO.

Not sure if you are joking...but that is doubtful. What idiot actually asks a 20 yr old ...so weird. Would be cool if Mali was reading this though. Haha.

I think it is just that we have been burned so many times in recent history it would be nice to get a great player back for another year. Seems like we could have a good mix of shooters and post players. In the past couple years we have had one or the other but couldn't put them both on the court.

I just prefer to ignore these topics. Thats my style. I do believe this board is capable of generating hype

I seem to remember many sports figures in interviews thanking the fans for their support. I'm not sure I remember any sports figure saying, "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU". Hey man, you are probably smarter than me. Or maybe I'm just being too sensitive. If you think there's nothing wrong then OKAY.

I seem to remember many sports figures in interviews thanking the fans for their support. I'm not sure I remember any sports figure saying, "IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU". Hey man, you are probably smarter than me. Or maybe I'm just being too sensitive. If you think there's nothing wrong then OKAY.
Maybe you should offer your public relations expertise to him then.

I would have to think after awhile it gets annoying hearing: youre not good enough to go pro! But oh by the way we love you and want you to come back, SU can win a championship with you

Cake and eat it too...

Dave85 said:

Fans have invested years of time and money into the team. He's been him for 19 years. He should look out for what's best for him, not the team or its fans.

Maybe more graceful? But in the end he's 100% correct.

Unfortunately Mali doesn't understand that he is a public figure at this point and people WILL comment about his game, being or not being drafted, etc etc.

I don't have a problem with what he said but he's going to need much much much much thicker skin than this.

This kind of "what if" discussion must help some people wind down from the season.

But it's essentially an insipid exercise given that:

1. We don't know who is coming back (especially Lydon and Malachi)
2. We don't know who is coming in (Transfers)
3. We don't know who might transfer out.
4. We don't know how much improvement there is going to be in the players that come back (especially Howard, Roberson and Coleman)
5. We don't know how good the incoming freshman are going to be. We have had some pleasant and unpleasant surprises in the past few years.
6. We aren't really sure who the coach is going to be. Boeheim appears to have a "Not more than two years" agreement. But that means he could decide to hand over the reins earlier. Maybe to avoid giving Hopkins a team with a near empty cabinet that could occur after next season.

So what we are left with is projections based on "If this happens. And this happens. And this happens. And this happens. And if the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise".

Seems to me that given all we don't know, that any projections that are made have like a 1% chance of being even close.

I wanted to add a point about this post: given that all of the above is true, imagine how hard it is to be the manager of such a situation. JB and staff have to do all the game planning, teaching, scouting, in-game coaching, and recruiting - and on top of that they have to somehow manage a personnel strategy that takes all of the above into account and do it with limited off campus recruiting and reduced scholarships. It can be really easy to see a "miss" on a player like KJ and then feel like the team has been left exposed, but good lord. It is an impossible task, basically.

Man, scrap this thread and this topic. If he goes he goes. I cannot imagine the idiotic tweets this young man must be receiving telling him he must stay. The NBA drafts on potential -- clearly he has a lot of it. Whatever happens, best of luck to Malachi in whatever decision he makes. If he has a chance to be a first rounder and wants to leave, I'll support him and his decision 100%.

Man, scrap this thread and this topic. If he goes he goes. I cannot imagine the idiotic tweets this young man must be receiving telling him he must stay. The NBA drafts on potential -- clearly he has a lot of it. Whatever happens, best of luck to Malachi in whatever decision he makes. If he has a chance to be a first rounder and wants to leave, I'll support him and his decision 100%.
lol at the people who think the existence of this thread will somehow effect Richardson's decision.

Yep - hockey players can get drafted by an NHL team then return to college and continue playing for the program. Not so in football or basketball. Why not?

This stuff is starting to drive me crazy. No wonder Bilas tweets about it so often.

racial bias

Well, dude...they are fully guaranteed for 2 years but a team can hold a player for 5 years. Outside of absolute busts, show where teams are not picking up options.

OK, two years at around $1M if you make the bottom of the first round leaves you with about $500K per year for two years. Buy a house and the money is pretty much gone, after living expenses. There are lots of players who don't get their options picked up in year three.

OK, two years at around $1M if you make the bottom of the first round leaves you with about $500K per year for two years. Buy a house and the money is pretty much gone, after living expenses. There are lots of players who don't get their options picked up in year three.

I don't think there are a lot. Looking at the 2013 draft, since those would be the ones who were up for the option this year, I'm pretty sure they all had the option picked up. Anthony Bennett is considered one of the biggest busts in recent history, he had his option picked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom