Dumas says Mali Gone | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dumas says Mali Gone

NBADraft.net has him going #17. I think it's the only major free site that has been updated since the S16.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Then again, Grayson Allen is slated for a mid- to late-first round pick on most sites and I don't think he translates nearly as well to the league as Malachi will.
The Indiana Dleauge team will have a lot of Syracuse with Fair Rack and Mal.

rrlbees said:
If everything went against us it would be conceivable that Howard and Chukwu would be our only returning players.
Yeah I worry about Roberson...

Who would give a 6'4 shooting guard who shot 37% a guarantee though?

With McCullough that type of thing makes sense...he was viewed as a potential lottery pick down the road, and thus a possible "steal" late in the first round. Malachi doesn't have any special size or athleticism for his position that makes him especially intruiging. He's a guy that if he's going to be good, has to make shots. Period. He showed flashes of being able to do that at a high level, but he's got a lot way to go as far as NBA level is concerned. I don't see how he's much different than say, Eric Devendorf, after his freshman year. Maybe an inch or two taller, but a worse shooter/finisher...but with that same confidence and knack to absolutely fill it up when hot.

He is ranked between 17 and 34 but the lower ranking might be outdated. Workouts will be crucial. He has the wingspan to possibly dominate against other shooting guards.
Measured 6'5.5 (with shoes) 191 lbs with a 6'10.5 wingspan at the 2013 LeBron James Skills Academy ... Measured 6'3.25, 198.8 lbs, with a 7'0 wingspan and 8'7 reach at the 2014 USA U18 tryouts ... Measured 6'5.5 (in shoes) 193 lbs, with a 6'11 wingspan at the 2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy.

For selfish reasons I would like him to come back but has anyone considered that if he returns he will be auditioning for the NBA? Hero ball does not always make for good team play. Whether he goes or stays, his decision will not be a surprise.

PG: Howard
SG: Battle
F: Lydon
F: Roberson
C: Coleman

F: Moyer
C: Chukwu
G: Joseph

Unless Joseph really improves this off season, I don't see too many minutes. Still an outside chance we can get Thompson as well. We can use another power forward.

He is ranked between 17 and 34 but the lower ranking might be outdated. Workouts will be crucial. He has the wingspan to possibly dominate against other shooting guards.
Measured 6'5.5 (with shoes) 191 lbs with a 6'10.5 wingspan at the 2013 LeBron James Skills Academy ... Measured 6'3.25, 198.8 lbs, with a 7'0 wingspan and 8'7 reach at the 2014 USA U18 tryouts ... Measured 6'5.5 (in shoes) 193 lbs, with a 6'11 wingspan at the 2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy.

For selfish reasons I would like him to come back but has anyone considered that if he returns he will be auditioning for the NBA? Hero ball does not always make for good team play. Whether he goes or stays, his decision will not be a surprise.

Not sure that this would be a bad thing with him though, even if it's the case. This is only a problem when guys try to do things they aren't good at...like poor 3 point shooters shooting too many of them, guys handling the ball who shouldn't be, etc. I don't think that will apply to Malachi...I'll have no problem with him handling the ball more, or shooting more on next years team. With Gbinije and Cooney gone, he's going to have to and I'm excited about the possibilities.

As an NBA fan, I'm a LOT more excited about my team drafting a soph who averaged 18 ppg, shot 40% from 3 and was one of the primary playmakers/ballhandlers for his team...I'd say all of that would be realistic expectations of him next year.

Not all our players are going to be bomb if they aren't lottery picks. Not all our players will be mediocre/sub par role players in the NBA.

Richardson is not Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters or Donte Greene.

I could see him being a Bradley Beal type as far as ceiling goes in the NBA.

The problem with this analysis is you originally stated Simmons was a bust not LSU's season. Simmons is a guaranteed Top 3 pick no matter what happened to LSU. NBA don't care whether they made the post-season or not. Kid is going to be a star with talent around him.

I still say Simmons is a faster Billy Owens.

Hopefully he can stay healthy and develop a better jumper...two things Billy could never do, that prevented him from becoming the star most thought he would be.

Simmons looks faster and more deadly in the open court, but other than that their games are a lot alike.

too lazy to look it up right now - anyone know the date players have to declare by?
I know they then have til May 25 to withdraw - but what's the declare-by date?
ok, I'll answer my question... college underclassmen have to declare for the draft by April 24. So it's looking like three weeks of waiting/speculation for us fans, then another month of more waiting/speculation :eek::D

ok, I'll answer my question... college underclassmen have to declare for the draft by April 24. So it's looking like three weeks of waiting/speculation for us fans, then another month of more waiting/speculation :eek::D
Maybe I should just come back in June.

I understand what you're saying. But i look at it like this. If BS went here, and had the same exact results, would you view him as a success at SU?

Was Donte Green a success here? I'd say marginal. Kept our teams head barely above water during his one season here. BS came with the promise of much more than Donte Green did too, so it's not a direct one to one, but similar enough.

Maybe epic bust is a bit of hyperbole, but no top prospect in the one and done era has ever failed to lead his team as miserably as he did.

It really doesn't matter what the fans think. If I was an LSU fan I'd be disappointed in the season for sure , but that really has no bearing on wether or not Simmons should go pro. He had a great individual season.

Maybe the fact that he chose to spend his.mandated one year exile from the NBA at LSU should tell us how much he really cared about postseason success.

Donte is on record as stating that he should have stayed.
You mean this, from the DO? Way to cherry pick.
"He misses the guys at school the most, he says. But college is over, and the locker room is a daily reminder. And for a few fleeting moments here and there, Donte Greene regrets his decision to leave Syracuse after one season for the NBA.
But that’s all."

NBADraft.net has him going #17. I think it's the only major free site that has been updated since the S16.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Then again, Grayson Allen is slated for a mid- to late-first round pick on most sites and I don't think he translates nearly as well to the league as Malachi will.
I have to disagree on this one. Who shot a better % from 3 this year? Grayson did. Who was able to drive the lane and flush it on opponents? Grayson was. List for me the times Mal had the nba athleticism where he was able to drive the lane and dunk on people? It was few and far between, hardly ever. I love Mal, but if he wants to be as good as Grayson he needs to come back for one more year and prove it.

It really doesn't matter what the fans think. If I was an LSU fan I'd be disappointed in the season for sure , but that really has no bearing on wether or not Simmons should go pro. He had a great individual season.

Maybe the fact that he chose to spend his.mandated one year exile from the NBA at LSU should tell us how much he really cared about postseason success.
Maybe the fact that he played for his Godfather tells us that family and close relationships guided his one year stay, more than anything else.

The Indiana Dleauge team will have a lot of Syracuse with Fair Rack and Mal.
Allen is a much better ball handler, passer and shooter. He's great at getting to the basket and drawing fouls. He is also a better defender. If he's middle to late first round, then Mali is second round at best.

The situation that no one is talking about but that I see as a possibility is that Mal is told by some team " you're not a second round pick, but we promise you a guaranteed salary fortwo years as a second round pick". .

There's this thing called a collective bargaining agreement ...

Woah, thats exciting
yep and I believe (as per one of Francis's recent pods) the timing would be just about right - Diallo's '16 eligibility won't become clear until at least late May

Yup, one of these years a team may head into the next season with a very small roster.

That happened to Duke a decade or so ago. I recall K trying to petition to change the rules to let him offer extra scholarships.

He needs to wait and see how many hundred other guys decide to declare early, all expecting to make it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom