Dungey..... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey.....

Dungey has always played with no fear. He makes plays that most QBs would never, ever be able to make with his feet. Once he gets out of the pocket, that's when the magic begins. Sure, he often takes off before going through his progressions, but he's also had a paltry offensive line most of his playing time. His scrambling ability kept drives alive, and often led to scoring plays. If it weren't for his feet, we would've been shelled in most of those games. Go back and look through the last 3-4 years. It's unbelievable.

No matter what he does, he will end up getting hurt. He has a huge target on his back. He completely sacrifices his body for the team, whether right or wrong in your opinion is besides the point. There have been some highly questionable decisions he's made, but remember, he's only doing it because he thinks it will help the team win.

He is the better option for us at QB right now, regardless of how poised Devito looked on Saturday. The future is bright with him, but lets enjoy Dungey while we have him. We're going to dearly miss him when he's gone. He has one of the most competitive spirits I've ever witnessed and bleeds orange through and through. Let's hope he gets healthy soon. We need him down the stretch.

Dungey has always played with no fear. He makes plays that most QBs would never, ever be able to make with his feet. Once he gets out of the pocket, that's when the magic begins. Sure, he often takes off before going through his progressions, but he's also had a paltry offensive line most of his playing time. His scrambling ability kept drives alive, and often led to scoring plays. If it weren't for his feet, we would've been shelled in most of those games. Go back and look through the last 3-4 years. It's unbelievable.

No matter what he does, he will end up getting hurt. He has a huge target on his back. He completely sacrifices his body for the team, whether right or wrong in your opinion is besides the point. There have been some highly questionable decisions he's made, but remember, he's only doing it because he thinks it will help the team win.

He is the better option for us at QB right now, regardless of how poised Devito looked on Saturday. The future is bright with him, but lets enjoy Dungey while we have him. We're going to dearly miss him when he's gone. He has one of the most competitive spirits I've ever witnessed and bleeds orange through and through. Let's hope he gets healthy soon. We need him down the stretch.

Is anyone advocating TD over ED when both are healthy? I am just asking. I think that the shoulder/ elbow obviously isn't right to give him the time he needs, if it won't heal in time well play with it best he can but the next two weeks off can't hurt by any means. The odds of being anything but 4-1 after game 5 are probably below 10%

Is anyone advocating TD over ED when both are healthy? I am just asking. I think that the shoulder/ elbow obviously isn't right to give him the time he needs, if it won't heal in time well play with it best he can but the next two weeks off can't hurt by any means. The odds of being anything but 4-1 after game 5 are probably below 10%
I hope not. I like the idea of resting him against UConn but don't want to concede Clemson. If we get down big early, pull him and save him for another day. But I still want to give him a shot.

Is anyone advocating TD over ED when both are healthy? I am just asking.

Yes. Without specifically pointing anyone or any post out, a few people are disenchanted with Dungey. Frankly, have been for more than a year.

I think everyone will be fine once he comes back and we keep winning. It's nice to know that Devito can lead the team while he gets healed up.

Yes. Without specifically pointing anyone or any post out, a few people are disenchanted with Dungey. Frankly, have been for more than a year.

I think everyone will be fine once he comes back and we keep winning. It's nice to know that Devito can lead the team while he gets healed up.

Interesting. I just haven't seen that.

We won't have a QB controversy until we lose a couple of games we feel we should have won where Eric plays poorly. I don't think this will happen... but even so - the next two games won't tell us much, IMO.

My only thing with Dungey is that he usually sacrifices his body for 1 or 2 yards. He’s far too valuable to this team to try to run through his for an extra yard. There is nothing wrong with scrambling, picking up 7 yards, and the baseball sliding, he thinks it’s belong the team when in reality it’s actuslly killing the team. Unles he’s running and he’s close to a first down he should give himself up. I counted at least 3 times Saturday where he took unnecessary punishment fo 1 or 2 yards. Be happy with a 10 yards run , give yourself up, and continue to play throughout the season . It’s simple. It’s almost starting to be borderline selfish.

I'll go on record and say I'm advocating for TD over a healthy ED.

I respect what ED has done and contributed to this program. He was the QB we needed while Dino was upgrading the OL and skill positions. His scrambling ability and warrior mentality helped cover many warts.

But, in my view, far too many on this board swoon over his tough guy attributes and fail to adequately weigh the fact that he simply isn't very good at some important QB attributes, like accuracy, progressions, and staying in the pocket. The offense in the Dino era has flashed, and looks wonderful compared to the dark ages of the Shafer era, but many of those gains (and Dungey's numbers) are due to the massive increase in number of plays. From an efficiency perspective, there has been a lot to be desired on offense with Dungey.

I think TD has all the attributes for this offense to truly hum. He is more accurate than ED, has a stronger arm, and is even faster (though most definitely not as big). I would rather live with freshman mistakes and access the higher planes of what the offense can accomplish. Look around college football - conventional wisdom around freshmen QB's is changing. Freshmen and RS Freshmen QB's are stepping in and finding success.

To me, the biggest issue with TD over ED is the locker room. But if TD succeeds while ED is out, that concern is allayed (much like the Brady/Bledsoe situation).

I recognize my view is in the distinct minority and there are good arguments for the opposing view. I respect those as well. More than anything, I'm excited to see the season play out with actual QB depth.

Still have to play Dungey. Devito looked great this week when everything was on schedule, but I still think he needs somewhat of perfect conditions. If Custis catches that ball Saturday and we don't have 3-4 other penalties Dungey's stats look a lot better.

I respect what ED has done and contributed to this program. He was the QB we needed while Dino was upgrading the OL and skill positions. His scrambling ability and warrior mentality helped cover many warts.

But, in my view, far too many on this board swoon over his tough guy attributes and fail to adequately weigh the fact that he simply isn't very good at some important QB attributes, like accuracy, progressions, and staying in the pocket. The offense in the Dino era has flashed, and looks wonderful compared to the dark ages of the Shafer era, but many of those gains (and Dungey's numbers) are due to the massive increase in number of plays. From an efficiency perspective, there has been a lot to be desired on offense with Dungey.

I think TD has all the attributes for this offense to truly hum. He is more accurate than ED, has a stronger arm, and is even faster (though most definitely not as big). I would rather live with freshman mistakes and access the higher planes of what the offense can accomplish. Look around college football - conventional wisdom around freshmen QB's is changing. Freshmen and RS Freshmen QB's are stepping in and finding success.

To me, the biggest issue with TD over ED is the locker room. But if TD succeeds while ED is out, that concern is allayed (much like the Brady/Bledsoe situation).

I recognize my view is in the distinct minority and there are good arguments for the opposing view. I respect those as well. More than anything, I'm excited to see the season play out with actual QB depth.
Playing Devito over Dungey is like playing Garopalo over Brady (last year's backup for the Patriots.) You just don't do that unless you have to.

You think he comes out wearing an eye patch?
(it's a joke)

51Ip2T4JuHL._SX425_.jpg

I think Dungey should stay the starter unless he is hurt, but to me it seems like he is pressing a lot or maybe over anxious to prove something. Probably nothing. We are better with him as the starter for sure.

Thanks a lot. You would have to bring up my Raiders after giving away their game yesterday. That's what happens when you are too conservative on offence at the end of the game. At least our Orange are winning football games :)

You make a good argument. I think we also need to be careful judging TD after one game. Just as people criticized too much after WMU we need to temper the enthusiasm after FSU. I think Dungey still gives us the best chance to win this year as long as he is healthy. I'm excited for TD's future and I don't think we've seen the last of him in an important game this year, but I don't want to see him supplant ED just yet.

Can somebody put a cuse uniform on an eyepatched Thor? I am completely incompetent at that stuff.

Last edited:
Playing Devito over Dungey is like playing Garopalo over Brady (last year's backup for the Patriots.) You just don't do that unless you have to.
the fact that you equate Dungey with Brady - even by analogy - is exactly what I'm getting at. Brady is Brady - MVPs, Super Bowls, the probable GOAT, probably the most accurate QB of all time. Dungey hasn't even been to a bowl game.

Dungey has never even had a decent backup previously (no, Mahoney doesn't remotely qualify). Dungey looks better because when compared to the last few decades of Syracuse QB history, and when compared to what else is on the roster, he looks amazing. But looking good relatively and being good in an absolute sense are different.

So yes, comparing starting TD over ED to Garoppolo over Brady is lunacy and unfair to the argument I was making

I agree with a lot of your points in theory and we shall see next year but Dungey is 100% the heart and soul of the program. It's ride or die with Dungey and I think that most on the team would agree with that other than maybe a few of the young guys that are tight with TD. It's just Dungey's team and will be until he finishes the season or he gets hurt, IMO. Td's time will come and obviously has a hire upside potential at the NFL level but I think you discount the intangibles that Dungey brings as well.

All that said, if Dino thought TD gave us a better chance to win OVERALL than Dungey he would be starting. Dungey is a hold over from the Shafer era, recruited for a different system, etc and he's still the starter which speaks volumes to me as to how Dino feels about him. TD is suppose to be Dino's guy and probably this year but Dungey's still the lead dog. Like I said, speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom