Ear Plugs This Saturday? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ear Plugs This Saturday?

I wear these for concerts. You can still hear the music great and the people around you talking. Very discreet and fits the ear canal well too.
I haven't tried these. I think they have an NRR5 that just takes the edge off(peak of 19db reduction), as well as higher attenuation. The 5's are probably the best choice if you only want to turn it down a little.(remember, 5db is almost 4 times less power) I'll need to pic up a set.

The cheap hearos, hifidelity attenuate more, and are WORLDS better than foam. They arent isolating like foam, and some high end still comes through. I'll have to try this styles NRR5. Hopefully, taking just the edge off should result in a more faithful representation of what your listening to. (It seems musicians love these. And trust me. We freaking hate ear plugs, because they change the sound.)

The 200 NCSt fans coming up north this weekend are reading this in disbelief.

Nothing is as loud as: insert random southern football stadium here
Well. Lets show them something. Love to send em back with the L, and a holy sh@t, that's the loudest place I've ever been.. (I've read that on Tigernet, BTW. )

One rude awakening coming up. ;-)

Let's hope NCSt doesn't run out to a big lead...if the game is within 7-10 pts...it'll stay very loud.
All I care about is a W. Do that with a loud, raucous, engaged crowd for 4 quarters? NICE. If the crowd causes 4 or 5 false starts, a couple delay of games? AWESOME(we did that). I want a W, and I want it LOUD.

I haven't tried these. I think they have an NRR5 that just takes the edge off(peak of 19db reduction), as well as higher attenuation. The 5's are probably the best choice if you only want to turn it down a little.(remember, 5db is almost 4 times less power) I'll need to pic up a set.

The cheap hearos, hifidelity attenuate more, and are WORLDS better than foam. They arent isolating like foam, and some high end still comes through. I'll have to try this styles NRR5. Hopefully, taking just the edge off should result in a more faithful representation of what your listening to. (It seems musicians love these. And trust me. We freaking hate ear plugs, because they change the sound.)
I bought the NRR13s which I couldn't recommend enough. It's saved my ears at a lot of the shows I've seen recently without sacrificing a ton of sound quality

I bought the NRR13s which I couldn't recommend enough. It's saved my ears at a lot of the shows I've seen recently without sacrificing a ton of sound quality
Indeed. Folks that have only used foam have no idea that you can comfortably turn down volume- and still hear what the h3ll is going on.

I want to caution on the ones above (Earasers) - their pull plug is really tiny and I almost lodged them in my ears.

I have other ones now (can't remember which ones) but easier to get out. The Etymotics look great because they're connected to each other.

The 200 NCSt fans coming up north this weekend are reading this in disbelief.

Nothing is as loud as: insert random southern football stadium here
No, no you don't get it. Imagine if *they* had a roof! All that hypothetical noise cancels out anything we could do!

What’s the maximum legal noise for a venue like a sporting event?
There is none. Ordinances usually begin at 9 or 10 pm and are usually based on needing a complainant.
And even then the 911 responders have alot of discretion on situational validity and enforcement.

There is none. Ordinances usually begin at 9 or 10 pm and are usually based on needing a complainant.
And even then the 911 responders have alot of discretion on situational validity and enforcement.
Interesting. Just curious!

Does anyone have any information or insight into the difference between the noise agregation of the new roof vs the old roof? Did the balloon material absorb alot more sound rather than a harder PTFE?
The Dome has historically had bad acoustics especially for concerts, Sala now blames the metal seats for hearing words through speakers when I'm thinking it's the PTFE and he doesn't want to say anything bad about the new prized toy like the new roof...

Interesting. Just curious!
My answer was legal, but from a moral-healthy viewpoint there probably is an 'acceptable' or 'dangerous' level of noise that's not conducive to healthy hearing care. Your point is a valid one and interesting one also.
I do find it funny that under 'painful and dangerous' level for hearing loss is gun shots...If you're close enough to hearing gunshots I would think the least of my worries would be hearing loss and not some other more obvious and direct danger.

Last edited:
My answer was legal, but from a moral-healthy viewpoint there probably is an 'acceptable' or 'dangerous' level of noise that's not conducive to healthy hearing care. Your point is a valid one and interesting one also.
I do find it funny that under 'painful and dangerous' level for hearing loss is gun shots...If you're close enough to hearing gunshots I would think the least of my worries would be hearing loss and not some other more obvious and direct danger.
screaming arguments in a car can easily get to 90+ dB.
Hotel restaurants - lunchtime - broach 80+ dB.

So a stadium at full blast of fans could easily be 85-105, which is technically dangerous.

screaming arguments in a car can easily get to 90+ dB.
Hotel restaurants - lunchtime - broach 80+ dB.

So a stadium at full blast of fans could easily be 85-105, which is technically dangerous.
Agreed. To take your point further: a stadium full of fans can get much worse. The link below lists football games at an average of 100 Db, which is bad for the ears. The Dome gets louder because of the acoustics and much, much louder when the fans get into the action.

Recall, approximately every 3Db is a doubling of the intensity of noise. Every 10Db is a ten-fold increase in noise intensity.

Assume an average noise level of 100 Db in the Dome. Random Guy has measured around 120Db on his meter at peak intervals. The peaks RG measured were 100 times louder than the average noise level in the Dome. And the Dome wasn't full when RG began taking measurements and started this issue in another thread.

Agreed. To take your point further: a stadium full of fans can get much worse. The link below lists football games at an average of 100 Db, which is bad for the ears. The Dome gets louder because of the acoustics and much, much louder when the fans get into the action.
wonder how accurate my Apple Watch is in a sports arena... It's neat to see how loud (quiet) my car is (was) with new vs. old tires.

I honestly haven't been to a game nor concert since I got it... sadly.

Does anyone have any information or insight into the difference between the noise agregation of the new roof vs the old roof? Did the balloon material absorb alot more sound rather than a harder PTFE?
The Dome has historically had bad acoustics especially for concerts, Sala now blames the metal seats for hearing words through speakers when I'm thinking it's the PTFE and he doesn't want to say anything bad about the new prized toy like the new roof...
yes

Thanks for such a detailed and informative post. I didn't realize the data showed that. ;)
there have been articles on either cny central or the post standard saying that the new roof materials makes it louder than the old material. It was in the article about improving the sound. Sala blamed on the benches

there have been articles on either cny central or the post standard saying that the new roof materials makes it louder than the old material. It was in the article about improving the sound. Sala blamed on the benches
Thanks for posting the links, very interesting.

are we completely replacing the benches? or just some of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom