Ed Cooley to Georgetown | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ed Cooley to Georgetown

Jeff Goodman and El Prez are in a Twitter battle over Cooley. Get your popcorn
Leave it to a dunderhead like Portnoy to make Goodman the voice of reason. Cooley has not-so-privately flirted with other jobs for years, recently Michigan before they went with Juwan Howard.

As for the interview, he said things can always change. And they do. That's America! Georgetown opened up and Cooley's daughter is about to graduate from there. And apparently in John Thompson's twilight years he spoke very highly of Cooley.

Georgetown is a much better job than Providence despite the last few years because it's incredibly difficult to get good kids from New England to want to go to there rather than UConn, Cuse or elsewhere. And, you know, the money.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the extent of Providences tourney success a Final Four under Pitino and an elite 8 with Rick Barnes twenty years later?
Pete Gillen was coach on the God Shammgod Elite 8 team. Cooley won one tournament game in 10 years before last years Sweet 16.

Unfortunately they’ll now be known for the worst and most embarrassing coach dumping of all time. This is no different than if JB got in a spat with the AD in the 90s and went to Pitt Georgetown St John’s etc.

Pete Gillen was coach on the God Shammgod Elite 8 team. Cooley won one tournament game in 10 years before last years Sweet 16.

Unfortunately they’ll now be known for the worst and most embarrassing coach dumping of all time. This is no different than if JB got in a spat with the AD in the 90s and went to Pitt Georgetown St John’s etc.

Thanks...I was off by a couple years.

Providence history in the 60s and 70s is as good as Georgetown under JT2.

The one thing making the PC job bad right now is uconn looking like they did under Calhoun.

Autry is lucky he gets the keys to a Ferrari when the ACC is down and things are in our favor UVA is our biggest challenge. Duke has a brand new team next year and UNC has deep issues. That run of the Tar Heels getting lucky and getting everyone to return every year is probably over and I bet next years freshmen at Duke aren’t as good as this years. Those programs will never be down down but we can do some damage right away.

Hope we cut out the participation trophy crap like celebrating Williams stats when he hits some threes in games we are blown out.

That team was tough - Shammgod, Austen Croshere, Reuben Garces, Derrick Brown who a really good scorer. Think the lost to AZ in OT they year AZ won it.

Providence history in the 60s and 70s is as good as Georgetown under JT2.

The one thing making the PC job bad right now is uconn looking like they did under Calhoun.

Autry is lucky he gets the keys to a Ferrari when the ACC is down and things are in our favor UVA is our biggest challenge. Duke has a brand new team next year and UNC has deep issues. That run of the Tar Heels getting lucky and getting everyone to return every year is probably over and I bet next years freshmen at Duke aren’t as good as this years. Those programs will never be down down but we can do some damage right away.

Hope we cut out the participation trophy crap like celebrating Williams stats when he hits some threes in games we are blown out.
PC w Ernie D and Marvin was a thing. I was not alive for it but i've heard all the old guys waxing poetic.

However, GTOWN in the 80s was a culture of being. They were the zeitgeist for college hoops IMO from 82-90ish. Not sure we can understate how massive Georgetown was nationally.

If they could corral 75% of that with Cooley they are cooking with fire again

That team was tough - Shammgod, Austen Croshere, Reuben Garces, Derrick Brown who a really good scorer. Think the lost to AZ in OT they year AZ won it.

Yes.

This was my immediate thought too lol. Granted there are dumb people in the world, but this is so dumb that it makes me not believe the rumor.

Probably a couple pages ago but my exact thoughts too. Doesn't make sense that DC would help.

Leave it to a dunderhead like Portnoy to make Goodman the voice of reason. Cooley has not-so-privately flirted with other jobs for years, recently Michigan before they went with Juwan Howard.

As for the interview, he said things can always change. And they do. That's America! Georgetown opened up and Cooley's daughter is about to graduate from there. And apparently in John Thompson's twilight years he spoke very highly of Cooley.

Georgetown is a much better job than Providence despite the last few years because it's incredibly difficult to get good kids from New England to want to go to there rather than UConn, Cuse or elsewhere. And, you know, the money.
How would you feel if JB left for St, John’s in the mid 90s?

How would you feel if JB left for St, John’s in the mid 90s?
I'd be surprised and a little uneasy about the future, but I'd get over it. Like anyone in this country, he has the right to do what he feels is best is for his career and family. No coach should be bigger than the program.

I won't tell anyone how to be a fan, but a personal belief of mine is that people are what they do much more than what they say. It's saved me a lot of headaches in life.

Last edited:

LOL no.

Portnoy is a buffoon but he is right here. Goodman is a no integrity bootlicker.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the extent of Providences tourney success a Final Four under Pitino and an elite 8 with Rick Barnes twenty years later?
They made another Final Four in the 70's when Dave Gavitt was the coach

Ouch...

I mean that is just brutal.

Ive never seen anything like this in College Basketball Beard from tech to Texas or Tubby from Georgia to Kentucky isnt even in the same hemisphere.

Ive never seen anything like this in College Basketball Beard from tech to Texas or Tubby from Georgia to Kentucky isnt even in the same hemisphere.
I agree. Catholic school to Catholic school for one. League member to league member for two. It is just a unmistakable slap in the face.

Cooley is on fire. But I think crowds like that might take a long while.

Chris Beard ditching Texas Tech for Texas was pretty bad. Sad Tech fans were crying in their cheap beers. But at least he was a Texas alum.

I agree. Catholic school to Catholic school for one. League member to league member for two. It is just a unmistakable slap in the face.

Plus the lying. Georgetown tampering in season. Cooley recruiting for Georgetown in season. Cooley putting his house on Market before the end of the season. The affairs and ultimatum from the wife. The substance abuse. Then more lying. The maniupulation of bootlickers like Fanta and Goodblum to not tell the real story and end up making Providence look small time as the reason for the change. Now the heel turn where he is deliberately trolling Friar fans at the Georgetown press conference.

This is a made for TV movie.

The Georgetown Visit to PC next year is going to need the national guard there. And I can't blame PC fans for being livid.

Eh, who cares. Took a job paying 50% more. How many of us would go to competitor if they were offering that kind of difference in money, not to mention a far better brand name. As for lying about staying at PC, you say what you have to to stay employed. You love your job until a better one comes calling, I don’t blame him at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom