Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I love the number 44. It’s my favorite number. But in reality, I feel like it has always belonged more to football than basketball. I can only remember Coleman and Wallace. Was there anyone else that I am blanking on? So 1996 was the last time it was used? Not like Lacrosse uses it, they use 22 for special players.

With that said, I do think they should at least store it for someone rather than a kid coming in for 1 year that went back and forth with his transfer. He’s a Syracuse player now, but I think the coaches should have been smarter to allow that jersey to be selectable for him. I would always prefer a kid that bleeds orange to wear that jersey. But in my opinion. It will be nice to finally see a 44 again at Cuse.
Danny Schayes

Extremely rare hoops side post:

We have won five - count ‘em - five ACC Tournament games in ten years. That’s fewer ACC Tournament game victories than UConn has championships.

If Red wants to give 44 to anyone who can help us win games in 2024, I’m all for it.

And I was on campus during the glorious DC years. He’s wrong on this.

8uylty.jpg

Extremely rare hoops side post:

We have won five - count ‘em - five ACC Tournament games in ten years. That’s fewer ACC Tournament game victories than UConn has championships.

If Red wants to give 44 to anyone who can help us win games in 2024, I’m all for it.

And I was on campus during the glorious DC years. He’s wrong on this.
very sobering

Yeah if Eddie helps this program, that's been stuck in neutral for years, get some more wins and excitement and back into the tournament, nobody will care about DC's opinion in June of 24

these alums are just too much sometimes. Sigh. He should be excited…. It’ll bring his name up a lot more on broadcasts and educate the random fan of DCs legacy here. I just don’t get it, it’s so petty. It’s a flipping number on a jersey… not YOUR number

Breaking news: old man yells at clouds!
Later, Eddie lampkins award winning dry rub:
Is homemade, or store bought? You decide, tonight on the 11pm news.

Gary Gait is coaching someone wearing his number. He is arguably the greatest the ever wear 22 and yet...

...7? different guys have been All-American, many of them multiple-AA. National champions, etc.

It is a great recruiting tool/honor, just the way #44 in FB could be, and multiple numbers in MBB can be as well.

Get over yourself

People are making way too much of this. We need to win and good players to do it. If he is a damn good player and helps us win a lot more then who cares? If he doesn’t and flames then who is going to remember it? It was his old number and he’s keeping it. Had he been a different number and gotten 44 well then maybe yeah some sourness there but overall this is a nothing burger. Looking forward to more hoops and getting insight into off season progress and less constant whining over the roster construction, NIL commitments and basically stuff that is irrelevant now that the team is almost set.
I think this is the issue with DC.

Gary Gait is coaching someone wearing his number. He is arguably the greatest the ever wear 22 and yet...

...7? different guys have been All-American, many of them multiple-AA. National champions, etc.

It is a great recruiting tool/honor, just the way #44 in FB could be, and multiple numbers in MBB can be as well.

Get over yourself
agreed! 44 (football and bball) & 22 (lax) should always be able to be on a current team based on the coaches choice. Its a powerful recruiting tool and can be used to explain the history and importance of offering such numbers to athletes when recruiting, etc.

It’s a way to connect our rich past to current players, who can have an opportunity to continue that legacy and be “extra” connected to this schools athletics long after they finish their careers.

This just should not be such a “thing”.

I think this is the issue with DC.

It might be but I think it’s not worth the angst. We just need to win more and be better. If you roam around other forums- there is a general vibe that paying so much for guys in general is annoying and the question of worth comes up. We aren’t unique to that the only thing here is that I know some think he’s a bum along with half the roster and maybe DC too. If he’s a bum everyone will forget about what number he wore in a couple years. Also DC is the one raising it- in response to Mike but it’s not Eddie saying I’m the next Cuse 44 in the context of it’s legacy( which would be bad if he did ).

I wish we were reserving 44 for top recruits like Donnie who have the potential to be all Orange and a centerpiece of our program instead of guys from the transfer portal like Eddie who, while hopefully a good player, has basically been a college journeyman. I'd hope that the 44 could effectively be both an NIL and recruiting tool. We obviously have much bigger fish to fry but I don't think DC is totally off base, unless he wants it totally retired.

It’s just another Syracuse tradition that will be a victim of the NIL age. Lampkin has all the leverage here. Would be more excited about Donnie wearing it.

I wish we were reserving 44 for top recruits like Donnie who have the potential to be all Orange and a centerpiece of our program instead of guys from the transfer portal like Eddie who, while hopefully a good player, has basically been a college journeyman. I'd hope that the 44 could effectively be both an NIL and recruiting tool. We obviously have much bigger fish to fry but I don't think DC is totally off base, unless he wants it totally retired.

It’s a layered discussion. Give it to Donnie and he has a bad year and wants to txfr or leaves and doesn’t get drafted and we look really dumb vs let a kid who is simply using it because he’s carrying the number and will be nowhere next year except either overseas or getting a shot in the NBA. The latter with no fanfare or big splash just the fact we let him keep his number he already had.

I personally think assigning it and then a kid transferring is a much worse look. An active number meaning something is probably best left alone in the portal era and I don’t think it would raise much NIL money anymore for the exact reasons noted.

He is off base. He knocked Red while doing this. How is that helpful to our school and program? It isn't.

Did Seikaly complain about all the players who wore #4 after him?

How about all the guys who wore #20 after Douglas? Not a peep from The General.

Moten never bitched about all the guys who wore #21, did he.

GMac and Hak actually won a National Championship, and they never said a word about the guys who came after them.

Be better, DC. Not bitter.
I don’t think this is about ‘his’ personal number. The school has long revered #44. No one changed the zip code to honor Douglas or Moten, GMac or Hak. 44 is bigger than any one player and it’s more than just basketball.

There has been a sense that the teams have essentially ‘reserved’ 44 for players of most expected impact. I expect that’s why Coleman is balking—that, plus didn’t he have an IP dispute with the school? And so he’s ‘salty’ about our emblematic/symbolic number just being handed to ‘some guy.’

It makes sense to keep it special. In this case, it also makes sense to let it play… on a guy who has already worn it. Him—or anyone—wearing it this year can only bring new media references to all who wore it in the past. Remind people.

He is off base. He knocked Red while doing this. How is that helpful to our school and program? It isn't.
Yep, if he is genuinely concerned over the legacy of the number, he could have had an encouraging and educational personal discussion with Eddie. Instead, he went public with shots at both Wildhack and Red. This was clearly done selfishly and due to his issues trademarking the number.

Did he sign off on Winfred or Wallace?
Concerning Wallace, I don't know for sure how he felt but he made it a point to tell JW that if he's going to wear 44, 'he better play strong'.

Maybe if he didn't have a bone to pick with the admin, he'd have left it at that.

I agree with others that I'd like 44 to be reserved for a player that's going to be a centerpiece. Those are hard to identify these days, however.

Concerning Wallace, I don't know for sure how he felt but he made it a point to tell JW that if he's going to wear 44, 'he better play strong'.

Maybe if he didn't have a bone to pick with the admin, he'd have left it at that.

I agree with others that I'd like 44 to be reserved for a player that's going to be a centerpiece. Those are hard to identify these days, however.
It's the same football IMO. Which is 44 means more to alumni/fans than a HS player. The school could pitch it sure but the longer things stay in the past the less current players will care.

I get that these old guys are ticked they missed out on NIL opportunities, but this screams of selfishness. They want to make money not protect the university. Thats their right, but also not SU’s fault either.

Status
Not open for further replies.