Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Eddie Lampkin #44 - DC not happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
However DC deals with it, whatever. Don't really care.

Giving 44 to Lampkin is a joke. That number has history, retired, semi-retired, un-retired, or plain old tired.

I cannot believe what this kid has received just to be here. It's insane.

Red has hitched his wagon to this kid and he better produce at a high level. This is crazy. Lampkin is being treated like he's going to be an NBA lottery pick or something, which he 100% will not.

Giving 44 to Lampkin is a joke. That number has history, retired, semi-retired, un-retired, or plain old tired.

Red has hitched his wagon to this kid and he better produce at a high level. This is crazy. Lampkin is being treated like he's going to be an NBA lottery pick or something, which he 100% will not.
Just for that, you don’t get the special rub.

Giving 3 to Judah is a joke. That number has history.

/s

Who cares what the kid has received to be here? If the potential flip didn't happen, would everyone have such a strong opinion? Of course not.

Next, let's bring back 44 to Syracuse Football. Give it to a good young man of character, all-american type High School RB. It's a very unique Syracuse Football tradition. A tradition that CFB fans all across the country know about. Uniquely Syracuse, and one of our only true traditions. Would also help as a recruiting tool.

Let's stop worrying about butt hurt alums (Rob Konrad). Hope Wildhack sees the several positives for the program in getting this unique tradition restored for our football program.

There is a line between reminiscing about the past and living in the past. We’ve been doing too much living in the past. I hope we let go of restricting players wearing 44 in football as well. It’s time for new memories. Perhaps in 50 years it’s not even about how great 44 is, but about a different number.

Next, let's bring back 44 to Syracuse Football. Give it to a good young man of character, all-american type High School RB. It's a very unique Syracuse Football tradition. A tradition that CFB fans all across the country know about. Uniquely Syracuse, and one of our only true traditions. Would also help as a recruiting tool.

Let's stop worrying about butt hurt alums (Rob Konrad). Hope Wildhack sees the several positives for the program in getting this unique tradition restored for our football program.
I think that Kids is on the team now

Just my opinion, but so what? If we were to give someone #15, I wouldn't freak out. To me, that number means more to me than 44 in basketball.
1719355346921.gif

44 means something in football. Basketball, not as much. We didn't retire 44 in hoops.

Was DC a great player? Absolutely. Wallace? Schayes? You betcha. But until they retire the number, it's still just a number.

Mandel Robinson wore 44 for football. I don't remember Jim Brown having an issue. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't.

Hopefully, Lampkin plays up to DC's level. If so, we're looking at a pretty good season. If not, it doesn't tarnish DC's legacy a bit.

I would argue Bing is our MJ not DC but that’s me. Forget the era he played in - Bing is that guy not DC.

Our most decorated player not named Bing is Melo who didn’t wear 44… not to mention the most relevant player to kids today. The time to make 44 an ongoing staple has long gone. If Eddie brings attention to it as someone else mentioned, without all the hoopla being it’s his old number then it could be a win win.
derrick coleman was the #1 overall pick in the draft . dave bing was #2 pick and carmelo was the #3 pick.
so yeah...DC was pretty WHOOPTIDAMGOOD. i understand his point of giving the number to special players. just as we do with the #22 in lacrosse. journeymen don't get to wear it. it denotes excellence.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but so what? If we were to give someone #15, I wouldn't freak out. To me, that number means more to me than 44 in basketball. View attachment 242359

44 means something in football. Basketball, not as much. We didn't retire 44 in hoops.

Was DC a great player? Absolutely. Wallace? Schayes? You betcha. But until they retire the number, it's still just a number.

Mandel Robinson wore 44 for football. I don't remember Jim Brown having an issue. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't.

Hopefully, Lampkin plays up to DC's level. If so, we're looking at a pretty good season. If not, it doesn't tarnish DC's legacy a bit.
perfect

Giving 3 to Judah is a joke. That number has history.

/s

Who cares what the kid has received to be here? If the potential flip didn't happen, would everyone have such a strong opinion? Of course not.

I care. There are finite resources. Giving this kid the world as an inefficient offensive guy and poor defender doesn’t lend itself to team success.

End of the world he has 44? Nah. Is this kid getting everything and the kitchen sink without having a track record to get it? IMO, absolutely.

I think DC is mad because the university tried to stop him from using 44 for some business opportunities. It is messed up on their part. SU needs to back off that copyright claim with DC. He deserves some respect. That said, I don’t know why he’s calling out Red. Even if DC disagrees about giving Eddie #44, we don’t need any negativity around around our new coach, who’s a fellow Orange basketball alum!

Last edited:
"Does Syracuse retire jerseys or numbers?" should be the verification question for this site when people create accounts.
100 percent. How do some people on here not know this fact at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.