Elijah Hughes: Bucks | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes: Bucks

I'm curious to see what happens with Hughes. He's a free agent. Wasn't on a summer league squad. Didn't play all that well to finish out the hear with Portland.

I think he's got an uphill fight to stick in the NBA.

Are 3rd year players typically in the summer league even if they were end of bench players?

Are 3rd year players typically in the summer league even if they were end of bench players?
Summer league rosters are a pretty mixed bag. Years in the league matter somewhat, but I think your comment about end of bunch players is the part that matters more.

Fringey guys and their agents sometimes try to have them make a case by hopping on a summer league squad and performing well.

Not an expert, but reading the tea leaves... Hughes feels to me right now like he's projecting as a G-league guy that'll do well there and get some in season call ups on 10 day contracts to teams that run in to depth issues.

I was thinking the same thing. Where was he this summer? If he gets picked up to fill a roster what's his minimum? Might be too expensive for end of the bench. His game is better than Buddy and Cole.
He'd be a vet minimum guy if a he gets a contract for the full season, which I think with two years experience would put him at $1.6 or $1.7M for the year.

He very well may have a lot of value on a contract like that to a team that's capped out/trying to avoid luxury tax/needs to fill the roster without paying much in luxury tax.

He's pretty firmly on the free agent scrap heap though right now.

I'm also curious to see if MCW can land somewhere. Seemed like he found a nice home in Orlando, but the injury last year might have ended that.

Summer league rosters are a pretty mixed bag. Years in the league matter somewhat, but I think your comment about end of bunch players is the part that matters more.

Fringey guys and their agents sometimes try to have them make a case by hopping on a summer league squad and performing well.

Not an expert, but reading the tea leaves... Hughes feels to me right now like he's projecting as a G-league guy that'll do well there and get some in season call ups on 10 day contracts to teams that run in to depth issues.

Yeah I think his best bet to start the year is G League. He had an opportunity last year and unfortunately didn’t produce as one would have hoped.

Yeah I think his best bet to start the year is G League. He had an opportunity last year and unfortunately didn’t produce as one would have hoped.
He had one awesome game when he was still on the Jazz where he had like 25 points and made 6 threes or something like that.

He did not play well in Portland after he got traded, which hurts because he had a lot of opportunity. They just wanted the season to be over. There was a real chance to shine, and it just didn't come together for him.

He had one awesome game when he was still on the Jazz where he had like 25 points and made 6 threes or something like that.

He did not play well in Portland after he got traded, which hurts because he had a lot of opportunity. They just wanted the season to be over. There was a real chance to shine, and it just didn't come together for him.

The Portland situation was tough and maybe a bit of fools gold. When you look at Oshae and the Pacers, they still had a team fighting for the play in working hard together where as to your point the Blazers were mailing it in and while for sure that gave him opportunity it also doesn't help to be surrounded by a bunch of guys going through the motions or focused on just getting theirs.

Paul Reed, Tyler Bey, Xavier Tillman, R.J. Hampton (1st Round), James Wiseman (2nd Overall Pick) are just a few of the 2020 NBA Draftees that played in this year's summer league.

Paul Reed, Tyler Bey, Xavier Tillman, R.J. Hampton (1st Round), James Wiseman (2nd Overall Pick) are just a few of the 2020 NBA Draftees that played in this year's summer league.

A couple of them were G league players. So there are some but it’s not typical.

A couple of them were G league players. So there are some but it’s not typical.
The question was if it was typical for a third-year player to play in summer league.

G League or not, there were 20 of the 60 players drafted in the 2020 draft that played in the summer league, including 15 second-round picks.

Take out the first rounders who are established players already and it's pretty common for a third-year player to play in summer league.

The question was if it was typical for a third-year player to play in summer league.

G League or not, there were 20 of the 60 players drafted in the 2020 draft that played in the summer league, including 15 second-round picks.

Take out the first rounders who are established players already and it's pretty common for a third-year player to play in summer league.

It was my question. So it’s my definition of 3rd year. End of bench player kinda indicates someone that played in the NBA the last two seasons.

So interesting note in this story:

Says the Bucks signed and then immediately waived Elijah. Assuming no one picks him up on waivers, that'll mean he ends up on the Bucks g-league affiliate.

Not the worst spot. Obviously would be better if he landed back on an NBA roster.

So interesting note in this story:

Says the Bucks signed and then immediately waived Elijah. Assuming no one picks him up on waivers, that'll mean he ends up on the Bucks g-league affiliate.

Not the worst spot. Obviously would be better if he landed back on an NBA roster.
With the tank a thon many teams are going to be competing in this year, he’s sure to log solid minutes somewhere .

yeah he's a player I'm kinda shocked hasnt done more in the NBA...there's a lot of less talented worse basketball players who have gotten paid in the NBA, imo...

fit and luck havent been on his side...yet
The Issue I have with his game—he seems to only float around the outside and Chuck threes, but everything is done without a sense of intensity. He doesn’t make an impression, with defense, rebounding, playmaking, aggressiveness. It’s a one-dimensional game, and if he’s not hitting an ungodly percentage from three, he doesn’t contribute in any other way.

Now, that’s just a perception/impression/memory, as I haven’t seen him play in a while, but that’s kinda like why Cole might not get any real time, either, but at least Cole looks like he’s engaged.

With the tank a thon many teams are going to be competing in this year, he’s sure to log solid minutes somewhere .
Mark Cuban's new nickname should be Sherman, because he loves him some tank

The Issue I have with his game—he seems to only float around the outside and Chuck threes, but everything is done without a sense of intensity. He doesn’t make an impression, with defense, rebounding, playmaking, aggressiveness. It’s a one-dimensional game, and if he’s not hitting an ungodly percentage from three, he doesn’t contribute in any other way.

Now, that’s just a perception/impression/memory, as I haven’t seen him play in a while, but that’s kinda like why Cole might not get any real time, either, but at least Cole looks like he’s engaged.
yeah, maybe...havent been able to see much of him since he left SU. He was definitley one of those players who was 100% ready for the next level when he left, though...like, there was no doubt.

I think a big part of it - just generally and not sure how much it applies to Hughes - is the hierarchy within a team is very very clearly defined in the NBA and some players are just not good at being part of a supporting cast...or not even that...but no teams will give them the lead roles...

last season, there were players that blew up but had been anonymous on previous teams...i cant remmebr the guy on the nets...

from my limited basketball playing experience...when I could dominate and have the ball in my hand it was totally diffrent from playing around players that ball hogged and shot everything...it can be hard to mkae an impression and impose yourself...idk...

imo the salary structure in the NBA is driven by economics and reflects the distribution of talent in the league less and less as the years pass...yet is still very determinative of individual player outcomes. like a straight jacket.

and i think the breaking point is coming when players like jokic 2nd rounder and the heat with no names make the finals as a result

last season, there were players that blew up but had been anonymous on previous teams...i cant remmebr the guy on the nets...
I don't think Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson would be consideredanonymous on Phoenix. They were major players on a Finals team.

They both just scored more in Brooklyn because they had to.

I don't think Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson would be consideredanonymous on Phoenix. They were major players on a Finals team.

They both just scored more in Brooklyn because they had to.
well look at the heat roster ...did you see the max strus contract??

the salary hierarchy in the NBA is basically rigid...but the distribution of talent isn't...is my point.

and, by extension, certain players careers and opportunities might not match up with what they otherwise couldve done if the "salary pyramid" wasnt pre-determined...and intra-squad competition on NBA rosters wasnt predermined but just open...and if contracts didnt prescribe role and playing time etc

How many NBA teams are really going to allow undrafted or lowly drafted players equal opportunity with their "names" and favored sons???

NBA teams have to use their max slots even if they have players that dont really deserve it in the current system. and max players get heavy volume even if that doesnt optimize winning, based on the way the league works...which makes it harder than it would be if the contracts werent influencing playing time for players lower on the totem pole to make a mark.

for my perspective , the valuation of a large percentage of NBA contracts dont really seem to match what is happening on the floor...both in favor of certain players and vice versa.

do you disagree?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom