Elijah Hughes entering NBA Draft | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes entering NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone hearing anything on who might be interested in Elijah? Who he has worked out for or done interviews?

I don't think there's been any publicly reported rumblings of interest or workouts or anything. It's been a weird year for that with all the Covid stuff.

As long as he stays out of Philly and Toronto :rolleyes:

I don't think there's been any publicly reported rumblings of interest or workouts or anything. It's been a weird year for that with all the Covid stuff.

Right. Have heard stuff on a handful of players. Hughes news is quiet.

Bleacher Report from yesterday also has Hughes going in the same slot to the Sixers:

Bleacher Report's Final 2020 NBA Mock Draf
In the Athletic, Seth Davis interviews 5 NBA scout about 50 prospects. He combines all of their commentary into one voice (even though it is not).

Context established, this scout(s) said EH is the "sleeper of the draft ... a great teammate ... can defend ... will be a rotation piece ... doesn't go after loose balls." There was much more there, but this is a glimpse.

Overall, I'd estimate the comments were about 60-40 positive on EH.

Nothing has connected him to Milwaukee yet but I think he’d be a good fit for the Bucks and they’re picking right around where he’s expected to go (42)

33rd to TWolves. Great spot. Good chance to make the team there.

First draft in a while that I have absolutely zero interest in. I mean LeMelo is the possible #1? Yeesh...who ever picks him has to deal with his dad. No thanks. Hopefully Hughes lands where he wants. Good luck to him.

John Hollinger published his top 23 prospects (which has some eye brow raisers), and among them:

21. Elijah Hughes, SF, Syracuse

These picks in the 20s like Hughes take us into a different strata from the one-and-dones in the top 20. Hughes is older, he’s not quite as accomplished as a collegian, and he’s likely to get picked in the second round. Nonetheless, I think he has a good chance to stick as a productive wing player in the league, and that’s the most valuable position to hit on. The third wing in a rotation is a $10 million guy on the open market, making good backups on rookie contracts at these spots far more valuable than similar bigs or point guards.

In Hughes’s case, I think he has starter upside as a scoring wing. Shooting will be the swing skill: He has deep range but needs to shoot the ball more consistently. Beyond that, Hughes has a good handle for his size, operating as Syracuse’s de facto point guard at times. While he’s pretty right-hand dominant, he has enough zip to beat defenders off the dribble without a screen, he’s capable of making the right pass, and he has the hops to finish against NBA bigs in traffic.

Hughes has to demonstrate the ability to guard on the ball after playing in Syracuse’s zone the past two years. Going back in time, the tape from his freshman year at East Carolina is underwhelming in this regard – he’s a quick leaper who blocks a lot of jump shots, but his lateral movement is suspect. Nonetheless, big wings who can jump and dribble are hard to find. Hughes has been undervalued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom