Embarrassing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Embarrassing

Frank is going to be the point guard next year. If you follow Boeheim's history, he highly values loyalty. For him to play a freshman over a senior who was as good as Frank was this year and played 40 mins a game every game, isn't going to happen.

You're correct for the most part, however, one thing JB values more than perceived loyalty is winning. And, the fact is, if we had a stud point guard coming in that was clearly better in running this putrid offense we've seen of late, then there's no doubt in my mind, JB goes with the stud frosh over seniority or any perceived loyalty. Winning always trumps loyalty, this is the highest level of D1 ball...and JB wants to win first and foremost.

You're correct for the most part, however, one thing JB values more than perceived loyalty is winning. And, the fact is, if we had a stud point guard coming in that was clearly better in running this putrid offense we've seen of late, than no doubt in my mind, JB goes with the stud frosh over seniority or any perceived loyalty. Winning always trumps loyalty, this is the highest level of D1 ball.
ask allen griffin about loyalty. started 34 games. started 0. started 34.

ask allen griffin about loyalty. started 34 games. started 0. started 34.
Except now we don't have Hop to prevent guys from leaving if this sort of thing happens. Although truthfully that might be the only time JB ever benched a starter. It's pretty rare.

Except now we don't have Hop to prevent guys from leaving if this sort of thing happens. Although truthfully that might be the only time JB ever benched a starter. It's pretty rare.
How do you know someone on the current staff isn't already capably filling Hop's role as the buffer between the players and JB?

Every fan base has bad apples in it. No Carolina fan will look disparagingly on 'Cuse fans for one lunatic. What myself and most Tar Heels will remember about Syracuse was how you all behaved in Chapel Hill in 2017 when Coach Roy won his 800 game. I was very impressed with the support your fans gave. After the game all of the Syracuse stayed for the acknowledgements and speeches not only as spectators but with congratulatory applause and standing ovations along with the rest of the Dean Dome. It was very classy on the part of the Orange.

Thanks!!!
Headmaster9 & I were there. Thought it was a great moment for Coach Roy Williams. We stayed and showed our support despite being disappointed with SU's loss. UNC fans were gracious and appreciative of our support. We even exchanged our paper tickets for hard tickets at the half knowing that it might be coach Williams 800 win. We had a great time and look forward to a return trip to Chapel Hill. And yes, we wore our orange proudly.
IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

Is Hop the only coach in the world that’s capable of filling that role?

Autry, GMac, and Griffin all seem like likable and personable guys with the players and all have a good amount of experience at this point.

Is Hop the only coach in the world that’s capable of filling that role?

Autry, GMac, and Griffin all seem like likable and personable guys with the players and all have a good amount of experience at this point.
Yes they're capable, but there's only one Hop.

No, not the team on the floor who worked their asses off last night. It's getting harder and harder to defend the actions of some of our fan base. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Went to both games in Brooklyn over the past two days, and had some great seats for both. Was 7 rows behind the bench last night (easily the best seats I've had).

While a few of the people around us might not have watched Syracuse play this year and apparently were surprised our offense was terrible, most of them were passionate and appreciated the effort on the floor... except for the "gentleman" two rows behind us. This guy was literally rooting against Frank Howard, who he called "the worst player he's ever seen at Syracuse". He moaned the entire game, got in arguments with myself, and other SU fans in the section. But there's no excuse for being that close to the bench and screaming "Frank, you ***ng suck".

As a fans, we should have great expectations. I want success as much as the next guy. But the level of entitlement some bad eggs in our fan base have shown, especially in these neutral site games, is just plain embarrassing. Disparaging our own players in earshot is BS. When did we get to a point where we think we're a blue blood? It's absolutely ridiculous.
Hey, I think he sits in 309, Row A! I know him well.

Every fan base has bad apples in it. No Carolina fan will look disparagingly on 'Cuse fans for one lunatic. What myself and most Tar Heels will remember about Syracuse was how you all behaved in Chapel Hill in 2017 when Coach Roy won his 800 game. I was very impressed with the support your fans gave. After the game all of the Syracuse stayed for the acknowledgements and speeches not only as spectators but with congratulatory applause and standing ovations along with the rest of the Dean Dome. It was very classy on the part of the Orange.

I was at that game. I really enjoyed participating in the celebration.

You get this on the road sometimes. At the GT game, a Cuse fan in front of me kept screaming to put Moyer in...for some offense? Ehhh, what?

Frank seems to be the fans whipping boy this year even though he's been better than Battle in half the games we've played.

Last night was pretty bad, even as a Frank supporter, but if you're going to demean someone vocally, do it to the refs. If you watched the GT game and saw what Jose Alvarado was doing, it's pretty much the blueprint UNC had and it's incumbent on the officials to actually officiate. A 6'5/6'6 Guard is always going to have problems with a quick little midget defender who's allowed to tug, push, pull and handcheck him. ...not just Frank.
Frank should have elbowed that little right in the eye socket. And if he continues to do it. Elbow him in the other eye socket. Maybe then he'll stop playing Bush league.

He didn't want to hear it, I made a comment about his play this year and he proceeded to mock me and the other people in the section while Frank was getting us back into the game.
He mocked you? What a tool.

How do you know someone on the current staff isn't already capably filling Hop's role as the buffer between the players and JB?
Maybe that someone is the same Allen Griffin that JB was disloyal to. He can always say "I was there and things worked out for me"

NoFvWzfJ_normal.jpg
Conor O'Neill (@ConorONeillWSJ)
3/7/18, 11:42 PM
"NEW YORK -- Syracuse's fate in its second-round game of the ACC Tournament was sealed when a drunken fan from section 107 of the Barclays Center interrupted a pre-game moment of silence for Woody Durham.

He mocked you? What a tool.
It was honestly surreal. Like when your 8 year old brother just tries to get under your skin. Frank was hitting those tear drops and he was loudly saying "yeah frank you're awesome frank" in a mocking voice.

It was honestly surreal. Like when your 8 year old brother just tries to get under your skin. Frank was hitting those tear drops and he was loudly saying "yeah frank you're awesome frank" in a mocking voice.
Yeah, unc up 15 and that clown behind me I’d be thrown out

We're a society of social misfits.

Some of them happen to be orange.

I know the living room experience is hurting attendance country wide. But for me it's also about being around humans with horrible lives.

The undesirables who have been showing up to Dome games in recent years have put a damper on things. Especially for the big event games (Duke last year was awesome but there sure were a lot of liquored-up cretins in the house).

Some Johnny-come-lately in our section was yelling exactly the same thing the OP reports at Frank early this season in the non-conference. That sort of behavior really hurts the experience for everyone.

NoFvWzfJ_normal.jpg
Conor O'Neill (@ConorONeillWSJ)
3/7/18, 11:42 PM
"NEW YORK -- Syracuse's fate in its second-round game of the ACC Tournament was sealed when a drunken fan from section 107 of the Barclays Center interrupted a pre-game moment of silence for Woody Durham.

Reminds me of Kris Joseph's Senior Day when SU played O Canada for him and some jackasses in the student overflow were chanting "USA! USA!"

Too many dopes out there.

My tactic for handling deplorable SU “fans” has been to ask (depending on their age) if a beer or soda would help them relax and enjoy the game.

Some take me up on the offer and I happily oblige, others decline.

In all circumstances I’ve done this the idiot fan took it down a notch or others around him were encouraged to shame him (it’s never been a female in my experience) into silence or decency.

I’m sure my luck will run out at some point but I’ll keep trying.

During the moment of silence for the UNC announcer that passed away, did you hear the SU fan yell out “Lets go orange”?

We have many sad fans. Live and on the Internet.

There was also a "Go Irish." People are a******.

I'll say that I can be loud and obnoxious at games (and at home), but it is never at the players. 90% refs, 8% other team/coaches, 2% our coaches (and even that was mostly Shafer), but NEVER our athletes.

During our 2015 loss at the Dome vs. Wisconsin I got some guys in the crowd around me kicked out before because they were calling players on our team an LGBT slur (the letter after "e" word) during the game and screaming that towards the court. There's ZERO tolerance in my mind for fan behavior like that. I told the guy to shut the “blank” up and got an usher involved and the guy got ejected.

Good riddance.

Last edited:
You're correct for the most part, however, one thing JB values more than perceived loyalty is winning. And, the fact is, if we had a stud point guard coming in that was clearly better in running this putrid offense we've seen of late, then there's no doubt in my mind, JB goes with the stud frosh over seniority or any perceived loyalty. Winning always trumps loyalty, this is the highest level of D1 ball...and JB wants to win first and foremost.

Correct me if this isn't right but Boeheim's only handed the ball to a freshman three times that I remember -- Jason Hart when he had no one else and he was loyal to Hart for staying, and, obviously Pearl, and McNamara/Edelin. I can't remember if way back in the day he gave it to Hal Cohen or Eddie Moss but maybe. Carey is no Pearl and no McNamara. And we'll have a returning senior point guard who took a bullet for the team the whole season. Boeheim has said forever that experienced teams win. The idea next year will be to not duplicate the freshman/inexperience mistakes and learning curve of this year. That means the ball's gonna be in Frank's hands much of the time at the point.

Boeheim's only handed the ball to a freshman twice -- Jason Hart when he had no one else and he was loyal to Hart for staying, and, obviously Pearl. I can't remember if way back in the day he gave it to Hal Cohen or Eddie Moss but maybe. Carey is no Pearl and we'll have a returning senior point guard who took a bullet for the team the whole season. Boeheim has said forever that experienced teams win. The idea next year will be to not duplicate the freshman/inexperience mistakes and learning curve of this year. That means the ball's gonna be in Frank's hands much of the time at the point.

Flynn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom