Embiid overrated? | Syracusefan.com

Embiid overrated?

Cuse_NYC

Starter
I feel like he is ridiculously overhyped. Sure, he's huge, but he's pretty slow. And he's by no means a threat when he gets the ball. Don't even feel he's close to the defender Anthony Davis was. Especially in today's game, I can't see him being an NBA star.

Cuse_NYC said:
I feel like he is ridiculously overhyped. Sure, he's huge, but he's pretty slow. And he's by no means a threat when he gets the ball. Don't even feel he's close to the defender Anthony Davis was. Especially in today's game, I can't see him being an NBA star.

He's been playing basketball since late 2011, just a tad over 3 years.

His footwork is amazing, he has size, he isn't slow like you're saying. His numbers don't look insane but look at the minutes he's playing.

If I had the number one pick. Zero doubt I take him even with the other great players that are available.

I don't think he is slow for a center.

As for not being skilled in the post -- I think it is his third year playing basketball.

He has the ++ athleticism to score many more easy baskets than other centers.

I'm not concerned when an other center can hit a 17 footer more effectively -- it's a 40% shot at best. I will take the center who can get more looks a game at a 90% + shots.

One thing I've noticed with him is he has a ton of trouble kicking the ball back out. It's seems like a turnover half the time.

He also only plays 23 mins a game I believe. Needs to work on conditioning and staying out of foul trouble.

His footwork is amazing, he has size, he isn't slow like you're saying. His numbers don't look insane but look at the minutes he's playing.

If I had the number one pick. Zero doubt I take him even with the other great players that are available.
I'd rather go Parker/Smart... don't think Embiid can be a star

But do you take him at #1 thinking (and letting your fan base dream) that he is Olajuwon 2.0, or do you take him thinking he is Ervin (Not Magic, the Milwaukee one) Johnson.
I personally see his ceiling being 3/4 of where Hibbert is now, which isn't bad, unless everybody is expecting Hakeem. Seriously this group of draft picks this year are good , and plenty, but I do not see the next (fill-in-the-blank) in there. Even the best players have holes (Parker, his D, Marcus Smart).

cusetown1 said:
One thing I've noticed with him is he has a ton of trouble kicking the ball back out. It's seems like a turnover half the time.

He does, but also, playing for only 3 years and only a half year in college at this level. He'll get it figured out. He is an amazing talent. Wish we had him.

If Parker goes to the right place, like Larry Bird did, where his D could be overlooked, he could shine. But with the teams drafting 1-5 I don't see that. Charlotte is loaded with Parker's.

Cuse_NYC said:

I wouldn't go Smart number one. After Embiid it would be either Parker, Wiggins, or Randle. Not sure what order.

LennX6 said:
But do you take him at #1 thinking (and letting your fan base dream) that he is Olajuwon 2.0, or do you take him thinking he is Ervin (Not Magic, the Milwaukee one) Johnson. I personally see his ceiling being 3/4 of where Hibbert is now, which isn't bad, unless everybody is expecting Hakeem. Seriously this group of draft picks this year are good , and plenty, but I do not see the next (fill-in-the-blank) in there. Even the best players have holes (Parker, his D, Marcus Smart).

It's a lot to put Olajuwon 2.0 on somebody. I'm not saying he will be that great, but I don't think it's crazy to say he can be Olajuwon Lite. He has more skill and athleticism than Ervin Johnson ever has.

Again, the guys has played for 3 years, he's improving every game and does things centers don't normally do. When he slows up on his improvement I'll change my stance but watching Kansas play it's easy to see that the guy is going to be amazing.

He does, but also, playing for only 3 years and only a half year in college at this level. He'll get it figured out. He is an amazing talent. Wish we had him.
I'll believe it when I see it . Great centers are extremely rare nowadays in the NBA, let alone being billed as the next Olajuwon . Baby steps.

I'd take him #1 overall. You can't coach his size combined with athletic ability into someone, but you can definitely coach him out of foul trouble I think. With practice he can avoid the impulse fouls that come from reacting to the ball instead of knowing where the ball is going. So many of his fouls come from not being as familiar with how plays shake out and they catch him reacting a step too late. He's going to be a beast.

I'll believe it when I see it . Great centers are extremely rare nowadays in the NBA, let alone being billed as the next Olajuwon . Baby steps.
But every so often you get a Hibbert who is good beyond anyones expectations. Kind of an odd metamorphosis. When I started following the NBA everything was predicated on what AL MCGuire called the Aircraft Carrier. Famous line Al had was than unless you had an Aircrart Carrier, you weren't winning anything.

But every so often you get a Hibbert who is good beyond anyones expectations. Kind of an odd metamorphosis. When I started following the NBA everything was predicated on what AL MCGuire called the Aircraft Carrier. Famous line Al had was than unless you had an Aircrart Carrier, you weren't winning anything.
Back when I was growing up it seemed like everybody had a decent to great center. Hell, Rik Smitts haunted the Knicks for years.

No. Not even close.

He reminds me a lot of Serge Ibaka. Kid knows the game, which is scary since he's only played a few years.

Back when I was growing up it seemed like everybody had a decent to great center. Hell, Rik Smitts haunted the Knicks for years.
Before that with me.
Wilt and Russell of course. The Thurmond, Bellamy, Malone, Dawkins, Mel Daniels , Zelmo Beaty, Unseld, Willis, Elmore Smith , Walton, Gilmore, Kareem. I could probably come up with 10 more before I would have to pick Connie Dierking, I don't know if there are 5-7 current NBA centers that are as good as those I listed.

This is my take as well - the kid's footwork is pretty phenomenal. Also, it seems from all the profiles that he's big on watching film, and imitating Olajuwon, which bodes well for his work ethic. For a kid with just a few years of playing basketball, and a background in soccer, it seems like it's all there for him to be an excellent NBA player. Olajuwon though, that's tough potatoes to live up to.

I'd take him #1 right now.

But do you take him at #1 thinking (and letting your fan base dream) that he is Olajuwon 2.0, or do you take him thinking he is Ervin (Not Magic, the Milwaukee one) Johnson.
I personally see his ceiling being 3/4 of where Hibbert is now, which isn't bad, unless everybody is expecting Hakeem. Seriously this group of draft picks this year are good , and plenty, but I do not see the next (fill-in-the-blank) in there. Even the best players have holes (Parker, his D, Marcus Smart).

I think Hibbert is a great player. But it is nuts to say Embiid's ceiling is less than Hibbert. Hibbert as a college freshman/sophomore was a skilled offensive player who mostly played good stand-up-and-be-tall defense but got in a lot of foul trouble, could barely jump, and was at probably the fourth option on some average-to-decent Georgetown teams. Embiid is a much better athlete than Hibbert. For a kid who has only played a few years of basketball, he has a great feel for the game.

Is he going to be Hakeem? Who knows. But his ceiling is mighty high.

I would also say that many people - including at least a few on this board - absolutely slammed Hibbert's pro potential when he was coming out.

I think Hibbert is a great player. But it is nuts to say Embiid's ceiling is less than Hibbert. Hibbert as a college freshman/sophomore was a skilled offensive player who mostly played good stand-up-and-be-tall defense but got in a lot of foul trouble, could barely jump, and was at probably the fourth option on some average-to-decent Georgetown teams. Embiid is a much better athlete than Hibbert. For a kid who has only played a few years of basketball, he has a great feel for the game.

Is he going to be Hakeem? Who knows. But his ceiling is mighty high.

I would also say that many people - including at least a few on this board - absolutely slammed Hibbert's pro potential when he was coming out.
I was one of them, I did not see that in the least, at best I saw him as a servicable NBA player. Flashforward to now, he's pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom