Embiid overrated? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Embiid overrated?

I really don't see the athleticism... and that cannot be tought. I mean he runs the floor just ok. Poor man's Hibbert does sound about right.

I'd rather go Parker/Smart... don't think Embiid can be a star

Ew, really? Those are the two I'd peg to be the lowest ceiling out of the top 5 (Embiid, Wiggins, Exum, Parker, Smart). I'd much rather have the first three I listed.

Regarding the OP, Embiid is not slow. Not sure why you think that. He's very agile for a guy his size. He just makes moves that you don't see from centers these days, and I love that he already knows that if he sees the double team coming, to dribble away from it while scanning the court for an open teammate. He plays well beyond his years, and that's not even considering the fact that he just started playing basketball.

Athletically, he's no Willie Cauley-Stein, but he'll probably be able to beat a lot of centers down the floor in the NBA, and his leaping ability combined with his wingspan allows him to be a force on the defensive end.

He's been playing basketball since late 2011, just a tad over 3 years.

His footwork is amazing, he has size, he isn't slow like you're saying. His numbers don't look insane but look at the minutes he's playing.

If I had the number one pick. Zero doubt I take him even with the other great players that are available.
No question he is going #1. His upside is ridiculous. Seven footers with that athleticism don't come slong very often. If Kansas goes deep into the tourney he will be the reason. Not Wiggins.

I really don't see the athleticism... and that cannot be tought. I mean he runs the floor just ok. Poor man's Hibbert does sound about right.

These are highlights from a single game:

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

He also only plays 23 mins a game I believe. Needs to work on conditioning and staying out of foul trouble.

I think this is where the argument to make against Embiid is. If he is only playing half the game you need someone who is going to cover the other half. It is also one of the arguments for Ennis, he is as efficient as the other major freshman, but he is also doing it while playing more minutes.

He also only plays 23 mins a game I believe. Needs to work on conditioning and staying out of foul trouble.

I don't know if it's the conditioning. It's definitely foul trouble though.
And the gu y is shooting 68% from the field, and it's not like he never shoots. I'm in love with his game.

I think this is where the argument to make against Embiid is. If he is only playing half the game you need someone who is going to cover the other half. It is also one of the arguments for Ennis, he is as efficient as the other major freshman, but he is also doing it while playing more minutes.

I think people are projecting, since A) he has barely played for 3 years, and B) tons of big men struggle with foul trouble when they are young, that he will improve on that in the next few years. Certainly if he is going to continue to play half the game you can't take him first overall.

If Parker goes to the right place, like Larry Bird did, where his D could be overlooked, he could shine. But with the teams drafting 1-5 I don't see that. Charlotte is loaded with Parker's.
Actually Charlotte is currently ranked 7th in defensive efficiency this year. It's what makes Melo's 62 even more impressive

Actually Charlotte is currently ranked 7th in defensive efficiency this year. It's what makes Melo's 62 even more impressive

One of the more crazy stats of the year. Steve Clifford is a miracle worker. They have Al Jefferson!!!

This is crazy. Embiid is freaking Freshman who has only played basketball for 3 years. Is he is best offensive player no way, but the kid is the best NBA prospect IMO.

If I were a GM I would my draft rankings would be 1. Joel Embiid 2. Andrew Wiggins 3. Jabari Parker

For NBA comps I would go Embiid is a Serge Ibaka type player with the ability to be even more dominant than Ibaka.
Andrew Wiggins is a Tracy McGrady type player and the college game is actually stunting his growth, but the kid is uber talented and will be better in the NBA and I give the credit for playing within the team in college.
Jabari Parker is a Glenn Robinson type player. People comparing him to Melo or Grant Hill are crazy. His ceiling is not as high as Melo or Grant Hill.

Embiid has to get a lot stronger and increase his reaction time. Its clear they have been working on his offensive game and it has taken away from his defense some. In addition he is a great weakside and help defender as a shot blocker but not a good one on one defender right now in the post. KU has ellis and traylor as well as wiggins to help him on the boards and defending the post but he certainly has room to grow. When you compare him to the rest of the possible picks he has easily the highest upside.

I definitely don't see Hill for Parker. Hill was amazing as an all-around player. Parker will score at the NBA level, but I don't see him being a Hill type. More in the Melo mold than Hill, though I'm not saying he'll be as good as Melo. (So we agree, cause the big dog was a lesser Melo)

in five years people will wonder why there was ever any consideration to take anybody else number one in the draft
I feel like he is ridiculously overhyped. Sure, he's huge, but he's pretty slow. And he's by no means a threat when he gets the ball. Don't even feel he's close to the defender Anthony Davis was. Especially in today's game, I can't see him being an NBA star.
I feel like he is ridiculously overhyped. Sure, he's huge, but he's pretty slow. And he's by no means a threat when he gets the ball. Don't even feel he's close to the defender Anthony Davis was. Especially in today's game, I can't see him being an NBA star.
in five years people will not believe there was any consideration to take anybody but him number one. The next great NBA big man

Parker is an NBA All-Star like Big Dog Robinson was for the Bucks, but I don't see him as the best player on a Championship team. Carmelo on the other hand is a Bernard King type scorer who is more talented than Parker and if you gave a team like Dirk Nowitski had in Dallas in 2011 or for pretty much his prime I think he would get a ring. Wiggins and Embiid have potential to be franchise players Parker is more of an all-star top 15 guy IMO.

I have no clue how good this Australian Exum is. He could be a stud, but I have no clue. Julius Randle is an obvious Zack Randolph type player. Both are lefties, both have good post games, dribble drive ability for big men, can rebound, and shoot FTs well for big men, but Randolph went mid first round when he left Michigan State while Randle is projected in the top 5. I like Randle as a player in the NBA, but I don't know if he will be a multiple time All-Star. My sleeper in this draft is Rodney Hood from Duke. I like his game and think he will be a good player in the NBA, but more of a good role player. Aaron Gordon has shown me nothing at Arizona to say he is a 1 and done player. Marcus Smart is a good college player, but I don't know how good he will be as an NBA PG.

Absolutely the best NBA prospect in the college game, and I don't think it's all that close at this point. He's got an unnatural feel for the game considering his size and how little experience he has playing.

If Parker goes to the right place, like Larry Bird did, where his D could be overlooked, he could shine. But with the teams drafting 1-5 I don't see that. Charlotte is loaded with Parker's.
Larry Bird transferred from Indiana U. to Indiana State--so what's your point !

Did I miss somebody actually try to compare Parker to Larry Bird? Bird is a freaking top 10 player of all-time if went to Boston, Chicago, Dallas, or the Clippers. I grant you Boston was a good place for him, but Bird's defense wasn't that bad. He averaged over 2 SPG. He wasn't an elite defender, but basketball in the 1980's is a lot different that today. Defense wasn't as dominant listen to Hubie Brown talk when he was hired by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2002. He said that cable television/satellite dish, advanced metrics makes is so easy to know every player's tendencies these days that defense is so far ahead of the offense that the only differences today are which teams plays harder with all the talented players today. Larry Bird and Jabari Parker belong no where in the same sentence. Parker is a good kid, but isn't going to be a 3 time consecutive NBA MVP or NBA 1st team player as many times as Bird was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom