Emotion | Syracusefan.com

Emotion

longislandcuse

Living Legend
I've heard that this team takes after its coach, that we are run like an NBA team. We never get too high or too low just like our coach. (Aside from Duke which I think was a tactical move and a great one at that).

I miss players like Devo. Show some emotion! Get pumped, get angry, get loud!!!

I'm so jealous of the teams that scream after dunks, clap and huddle up, have intensity and fire in their eyes all game.

We are so even keel that I think it hurts us. Where is the alpha on this team? Do we have that? Killer instinct, urgency, heart...it's hard to see when from the coach down we play like its a business trip and not a chance for greatness.

The college game is built on a hunger and a will to win. I don't see that from our teams. We have a lot of smiling out there, which is great and all but I don't see Duke or UVA playing with a case of the giggles.

I'm sure everyone has a personal preference, but I think you will have a tough time substantiating a claim that more emotionally demonstrative teams have more tournament success. I suspect talent and good fortune are bigger factors.

I imagine there are plenty who agree with you.

But I prefer this team's stoic demeanor. It's only frustrating you now because they're in the midst of a losing streak. But make no mistake, their even-keel nature is not causing the losing streak. Jumping around on the bench will not help the starters sink jumpshots.

I'm sure everyone has a personal preference, but I think you will have a tough time substantiating a claim that more emotionally demonstrative teams have more tournament success. I suspect talent and good fortune are bigger factors.

Reminds me of all the talk of how Eli Manning wasn't a good leader because of his quiet demeanor (remember Tiki Barber)? - then he goes and wins two SuperBowls and the talk now is his level-headed stoic approach is just what is needed to succeed in a pressure cooker like NYC.

The truth is its all a load of crap - there a ton of different ways to win, and when you're winning people will pin the reason for success on all kinds of nonsense...and they'll blame irrelevant things when a team is losing.

My personal preference is to have a team with more talent, I'll take my chances on any personality types/demeanor after that.

As stated, this team is calm and cool. But when your losing, calm and cool quickly turns into lazy and disengaged.

Last edited:
Who says talent and emotion are mutually exclusive? Most talented players are pretty vocal and intense.

I'd rather have talent with emotion than "stoic" talent.

Excuse me, but baloney, to the nth degree.
I think the poster is saying perception wise.

I don't think our players don't want it, I just think the lack of emotion stemming down from JB is a negative. Too much smiling and not enough fire when were struggling.

jec1521 said:
As stated, this team is calm and cool. But when she losing, calm and cool quickly turns into lazy and disengaged.

Fixed my own post. Damn autocorrect.

longislandcuse said:
I think the poster is saying perception wise.

I don't think our players don't want it, I just think the lack of emotion stemming down from JB is a negative. Too much smiling and not enough fire when were struggling.

Yes. I was saying perception wise.

But I prefer this team's stoic demeanor. It's only frustrating you now because they're in the midst of a losing streak. But make no mistake, their even-keel nature is not causing the losing streak. Jumping around on the bench will not help the starters sink jumpshots.

Completely agree. Tom Crean is emotional as hell at all times. Behaves like a lunatic on the sidelines. That's the last thing I'd want for our team.

I couldn't care less whether a player is demonstrative or not, provided they make plays. If this team had won 2-3 more games, there isn't one person who'd be pointing to emotion as a cause for concern. Grasping at straws for things that are wrong.

Completely agree. Tom Crean is emotional as hell at all times. Behaves like a lunatic on the sidelines. That's the last thing I'd want for our team.

I couldn't care less whether a player is demonstrative or not, provided they make plays. If this team had won 2-3 more games, there isn't one person who'd be pointing to emotion as a cause for concern. Grasping at straws for things that are wrong.
I'm not saying that's the cause of what's wrong with us but I don't like the lack of intensity. Why do we constantly have to be put in dire straits to play with any emotion? Where is the killer instinct?

Completely agree, or Buzz Williams.

If this team had won 2-3 more games, not only would there likely be any conversation of emotion, or lack thereof, but probably more talk of why we ever wore those foolish looking two-tone unis, as was the case when we were 25-0. :)

Can you define "killer instinct" as it pertains to basketball? Which games do you think this team would have won had they possessed "killer instinct?" When a team loses, how do you know when it is due to a lack of "killer instinct" rather than just poor play?

Can you define "killer instinct" as it pertains to basketball? Which games do you think this team would have won had they possessed "killer instinct?" When a team loses, how do you know when it is due to a lack of "killer instinct" rather than just poor play?
The garbage losses at home to BC and Tech. Not only could no one dagger them which is just bc we can't score but our defense and rebounding became soft as Charmin to allow them to get back in, especially BC.

Tech just owned us which is inexcusable. Gut check game in which we showed no heart.

our team isn't very good, that's all there is to it really

our team isn't very good, that's all there is to it really
Struggling but I refuse to believe a team with 2 lottery picks, a McDonalds AA and a 2nd team AA isnt good enough to beat BC, Tech and State.

No, jumping around on the bench indeed won't help the players sink jumpshots.

However, an important aspect of the game is swagger and confidence, especially on offense, and especially putting the ball in the basket. Basketball players aren't CPA's. In a controlled way, you have to get fired up about shooting. You have to want it. These are 18-22 year old kids, playing a game. I don't see that with this team - we lack fire and swagger and confidence on offense - having fun. I think we can still get it back, but we have to come out and show it. We need a game in the first round where we win by 20 and fill it up. Show some killer instinct.

I've heard that this team takes after its coach, that we are run like an NBA team. We never get too high or too low just like our coach. (Aside from Duke which I think was a tactical move and a great one at that).

I miss players like Devo. Show some emotion! Get pumped, get angry, get loud!!!

I'm so jealous of the teams that scream after dunks, clap and huddle up, have intensity and fire in their eyes all game.

We are so even keel that I think it hurts us. Where is the alpha on this team? Do we have that? Killer instinct, urgency, heart...it's hard to see when from the coach down we play like its a business trip and not a chance for greatness.

The college game is built on a hunger and a will to win. I don't see that from our teams. We have a lot of smiling out there, which is great and all but I don't see Duke or UVA playing with a case of the giggles.

Interesting take.

But I've got to disagree.

1. Back a long, long time ago...when we were undefeated and ranked # 1...no one said we need more fire.
The team was praised for its composure and the consistent calm demeanor of the leaders CJ & TE.
Different teams and different players have different personalities...and they're unlikely to change.
We took care of business without the fireworks.

If anything changed...it was the injury to Jerami Grant and it's that our defense has allowed too many easy points in the paint as opponents have seen how to try to work the 2-3. On the other end, our offense has been inconsistent at best...even with open shots.

The reason we lost to NCSU is because our "Big 3" shot 10 of 40. If they'd just shot (a still awful) 35% it likely would have been a different game.

2. I would say there is almost ZERO chance that Boeheim's explosion at Duke was pre-meditated or a tactic.
After 38 years of only one similar incident that I know of...he simply lost it. People don't think about going crazy and getting ejected especially when their team still has some shot at winning.

I think threads like these are funny; a month or six weeks ago our ability to keep an even keel would have been considered a positive; part of the reason we have pulled out so many closes games. Now its not.

This stuff is all ancillary to me. It's only a problem when you lose

We can go through history pointing to successful teams who were emotionally demonstrative and successful teams that were stoic. Some people have their preferences, I personally couldn't care less. A team can win with either approach. "Intensity" and "killer instinct" are intangible or subjective concepts. My perception is that this team has not demonstrated a lack of intensity or killer instinct, but obviously others' perceptions differ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom