31. Virginia Tech 27 ACC 2303 0 0 1 18 13 14 0 27 0 2.70
39. North Carolina 22 ACC 2028 0 0 0 18 11 11 0 22 0 2.77
40. Maryland 23 ACC 2011 1 0 2 11 11 12 0 22 1 2.65
50. North Carolina State 23 ACC 1723 0 0 0 15 10 13 0 21 2 2.65
58. Georgia Tech 15 ACC 1515 0 0 2 10 6 8 1 15 0 2.93
68. Duke 18 ACC 1296 0 0 0 8 8 9 1 18 0 2.44
71. Wake Forest 19 ACC 1226 0 0 0 9 10 9 0 19 0 2.47
72. Boston College 15 ACC 1161 0 0 0 10 6 9 0 15 0 2.67

Oh good, all the private schools are at the bottom.

Considering how this season ended, were you honestly expecting a huge improvement this year?
For as long as I can recall, we lose a decommit almost every year (as do most teams - many lose several), and there are almost always a couple of recruits who don't qualify. In fact, under previous coaching staffs, most of our most highly rated NQs, who skewed our rankings upwards, never even made it here (Irdris Price, Andrey Baskin, LaVar Lobdell, Romale Tucker, DeAndre Preaster, Dale Peterman). I'm hoping guys like Broyld and Davis signify a change in this trend.

I know based on his performance it seemed like LaVar Lobdell never made it to Syracuse...

I know based on his performance it seemed like LaVar Lobdell never made it to Syracuse...

would have loved to see the kid play the corner spot
Brantley loves the coaches. He said that he couldn't see himself playing with the group of players he met during his visit for four years.

That is a weird statement by Brantley, I wonder where the disconnect was there.. seems odd

would have loved to see the kid play the corner spot

GROB might have been OK at getting kids to come to SU but he/they sure did a crappy job once they got here. And I include in that, playing kids out of position like Lobdell and Hogue...

That is a weird statement by Brantley, I wonder where the disconnect was there.. seems odd

I agree. It blew me away when I read that myself. It was said after his visit with Mizzou though, so I wonder if he just made something up to tell people why he changed his mind. Only he knows for sure.

GROB was over-rated as a recruiter because he got a few playmakers (Hogue, Carter, Sales, Lemon, Bailey and a few others), but his classes were not solid or deep. Marrone seems to be the opposite -- better depth, better linemen.

I agree. It blew me away when I read that myself. It was said after his visit with Mizzou though, so I wonder if he just made something up to tell people why he changed his mind. Only he knows for sure.

And then you have Manley saying how awesome all the players were and that he felt like part of the family within 20 minutes of being here.

It just goes to show that not everybody is cut from the same cloth. Kids are looking for different things.

Maybe Brantley was looking for a good party or maybe he's a nerd. Who knows.

GROB was over-rated as a recruiter because he got a few playmakers (Hogue, Carter, Sales, Lemon, Bailey and a few others), but his classes were not solid or deep. Marrone seems to be the opposite -- better depth, better linemen.

Agreed, GROB's classes were like donuts...no middle to the classes..

Agreed, GROB's classes were like donuts...no middle to the classes..
It be nice to get a jelly filled class at some point! A little bit of good on both ends! :)

And then you have Manley saying how awesome all the players were and that he felt like part of the family within 20 minutes of being there.

It just goes to show that not everybody is cut from the same cloth. Kids are looking for different things.

Maybe Brantley was looking for a good party or maybe he's a nerd. Who knows.

It's one of the two in your last sentence, IMO.. Just a question with what end of the spectrum he is on, I don't know from the looks of that crew when I saw them, they looked to be having a pretty good time. Who knows, but if they were hanging out with current players and was taken back one can draw their own conclusions which end of the spectrum he is on

I can't say with specificity b/c it's a premium article but, if you take the kid at his word, several of the things he liked about Mizzou and/or didn't like about us were things that the staff had no control over.

I can't say with specificity b/c it's a premium article but, if you take the kid at his word, several of the things he liked about Mizzou and/or didn't like about us were things that the staff had no control over.

The WEATHER again! I knew it!;)

GROB might have been OK at getting kids to come to SU but he/they sure did a crappy job once they got here. And I include in that, playing kids out of position like Lobdell and Hogue...

Anyone thought of Lobdell s something other than a WR? Everyone offered him as a WR, even Miami. As to Hogue, he wasn't out of position. We don't get him unless we bring him in as a RB.

Our classes have been the same for many years, no matter the coach. In numbers and quality. As to lineman, you forget Pugh or the guys that left like Speller who was a frosh AA. People have short memories.

This kind of troubles me. I get the sense that the staff is just too hard ass on the kids, cutting them no slack at all. College is supposed to be fun, not joining the Marines, despite the commitment required to be a Division 1 athlete.

I don't exactly know what he said, but "I didn't have a very good visit." is pretty wide open... did he not like the campus? Did he not like the facilities? The coaching staff? Specifically, what did he not like to not have a "very good visit"? He was here with 12 other recruits that week-end according to TOS... all of them have either committed or stayed committed I think. What was different about his experience that week-end I wonder?

No, I'm basing it on him losing the team after beating WVU this year and then going on a 5 game losing streak. I'm also basing it on the number of kids who have left the program, and the number of key players that seem to get suspended every season that Doug has been here so far.

You would also hope that when they assign kids to host recruits, that they would be picking hosts who are happy to be on the team, not people who complain to recruits about being here. That's specifically the part that bothers me.

Recruiting trips are supposed to be a great time - I was recruited when I was a HS senior for cross country and track, and I loved taking visits. If you are a kid and go to a school and DON'T have a good time, that is a problem. How do you sell your program with hosts complaining about the program?

"Losing the team"?

What a bunch of nonsense. You were obviously not at the Pitt game.

The Orange played hard and by the end were physically beating up the Panthers.

The "kids who have left the program" comment is also nonsense. The talent level on this team - this awful team that in one season won 50% of the games Robinson won in four years - is much improved and getting better and better.

I am not sure what you are suggesting re suspended players. Do you mean Coach Marrone is not monitoring his players? Or is being too tough?

Or is your reference nothing more than a misinformed, gratuitous pot shot?

Lets see how we do on February 1.

Personally, I don't understand all the emphasis on where we are ranked by some recruiting service. Like the NFL draft, the true measure is will be how the recruits pan out and whether they contribute down the road.

Until we start winning consistently, we are never going to pull in highly rated classes. Others with better memories can correct me, but the most highly-rated recruiting classes I can ever recall from the 1990s were in the 30s.

Of course. All of this so-called information is based on almost nothing. It's pure nonsense created for the information-starved and the gullible.

It's rumors on top of self-serving nonsense from coaches and stuff the services make up because they want to sell the "information".

People paying attention to this stuff or giving it credence need their heads examined.

A Notre Dame offer can make a "two star" into a "four star". Why? Because the original "two star" rating was based on nothing at all and these dopes know that ND has actually seen the kid play and know what they are looking at.

Anyone thought of Lobdell s something other than a WR? Everyone offered him as a WR, even Miami. As to Hogue, he wasn't out of position. We don't get him unless we bring him in as a RB.

Hogue was out of position...doesn't matter what we recruited him as...He's not playing RB in the NFL is he?

Brantley loves the coaches. He said that he couldn't see himself playing with the group of players he met during his visit for four years.

So, it sounds like he just didn't feel like he fit in with the other recruits... guys that he would spend then next 4 or 5 years of his life with. I can buy that explanation. That sounds like a "bad fit" more than a "bad visit" to me.

Hogue was out of position...doesn't matter what we recruited him as...He's not playing RB in the NFL is he?

He wasn't out of position. Do you know the story on Hogue? He would have been a LB his junior season whether it be Marrone or GRob.

They sold Brantley on two things: the SEC and facilities. Mostly the SEC.

He wasn't out of position. Do you know the story on Hogue? He would have been a LB his junior season whether it be Marrone or GRob.

I don't remember hearing that Grob was moving him? ...

Considering how this season ended, were you honestly expecting a huge improvement this year?
For as long as I can recall, we lose a decommit almost every year (as do most teams - many lose several), and there are almost always a couple of recruits who don't qualify. In fact, under previous coaching staffs, most of our most highly rated NQs, who skewed our rankings upwards, never even made it here (Irdris Price, Andrey Baskin, LaVar Lobdell, Romale Tucker, DeAndre Preaster, Dale Peterman). I'm hoping guys like Broyld and Davis signify a change in this trend.

Right, like MISSOURI lost a couple DTs, so they started cold calling around to other ones and Brantley took them up on the offer for a visit.

I don't remember hearing that Grob was moving him? ...

He played RB because we told him he could if he came here. If we brought him in as a LB, he would have gone to PSU. His soph year we had 2 RB's coming off injury so had to keep him at RB to start but at mid season after he had dropped to 3rd string, he asked to be moved to LB. He was told not at mid season but they would after the season was over.

He played RB because we told him he could if he came here. If we brought him in as a LB, he would have gone to PSU. His soph year we had 2 RB's coming off injury so had to keep him at RB to start but at mid season after he had dropped to 3rd string, he asked to be moved to LB. He was told not at mid season but they would after the season was over.

I knew most of that except him asking to be moved. I know about the recruiting him as a RB, the PSU offer, etc etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom