Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see that argument if it was all the under-performing outside shooters, or seniors who forgo their extra year of eligibility. But, man, you want to keep your 6-7 "Fab Melo" best defensive center in maybe the whole country. You reassure her that you will build your team around her next year. How did he let her get away? She put up very good offensive numbers, too. That's a killer.

Maybe going the last seven games of the season taking less than 10 shots and going long stretches not getting quality post touches. Wouldn't be surprised if Cardoso saw the make up of the team next year and didn't see the offensive system changing to help her grow as a player and realistically Cardoso should be a high 1st round WNBA draft pick by the time her collegiate career is over.

To lose both her and Engstler who were two of the best recruits ever to come to the program this off-season is devastating. What is scary is how this will be used to recruit against the program going forward. Good programs have players leave when they are recruited over, programs trending the wrong direction lose good/could be great players to better programs because they see the chance the develop.

What I wonder about is who does Syracuse get as a head coach if they make a change that recruit but coach & develop the talent on the team. Hillsman has shown he can recruit but outside of the one NCAA finals appearance he has not made the 2nd weekend of the tournament and considering the level recruiting has been at the last half dozen years that isn't acceptable especially with the lack of depth of quality teams in comparison to the men's side.

Q “doesn’t make the second weekend” -

Because the NCAA keeps putting UConn in our bracket before then.

The flip side of that is - when Q didn’t have to face UConn prior to the Finals, he made the Finals.

There’s no shame not being able to take down the lady Huskies-
They are the women’s version of Wooden’s UCLA.

There’s a lot to be concerned about given that everybody left.

But trying to conflate not having longer tourney runs with that, is BS.

You know who else had a lot of early Tourney exits in spite of having immensely talented teams?

Some dude named James Arthur Boeheim.

So signed recruits can't go into the portal - right? Right?

So signed recruits can't go into the portal - right? Right?
Correct.

While the NCAA allows any student to transfer, student-athletes who sign a National Letter of Intent, a program operated by the Collegiate Commissioners Association, cannot transfer during the initial year of competition or compete immediately at the next school unless they receive a release from the initial school.

Correct.

While the NCAA allows any student to transfer, student-athletes who sign a National Letter of Intent, a program operated by the Collegiate Commissioners Association, cannot transfer during the initial year of competition or compete immediately at the next school unless they receive a release from the initial school.
I think that is still true but that article is from 2019.

Agreed. I assume it is still true since I couldn't find anything to contradict that info.
And the last time I looked the NCAA still hasn't updated the recruiting calendar for 2021. ;)

Interesting statement in the article.

"Some signs suggest that players and staff clashed over COVID-19 protocols throughout the season, which may have led to the Orange's unprecedented roster turnover. Four players were suspended from the program following the ACC tournament due to breaches of Syracuse's pandemic-related rules. All four of those players have since transferred, and eight of their former teammates have followed suit."

Interesting statement in the article.

"Some signs suggest that players and staff clashed over COVID-19 protocols throughout the season, which may have led to the Orange's unprecedented roster turnover. Four players were suspended from the program following the ACC tournament due to breaches of Syracuse's pandemic-related rules. All four of those players have since transferred, and eight of their former teammates have followed suit."
I'm curious as to how a Michigan newspaper ended up with that information. Was the COVID protocol problem ever published locally? I don't recall seeing it but I may have missed it

I know Sykes is tearing it up in the WNBA/Overseas but at some point down the line, I would like to see her as an assistant coach here, or more involved with the program in some way.
She's not pulling any punches here. Good.

“Sometimes you’ve just got to stick through it. Sometimes you’ve just got to see it through. It’s not going to be fun and games. So for some kids who want to leave and now they’ve got that rule where you can automatically play, I just think it’s trippy that kids can transfer within the conference. I don’t know. It’s like an unsaid rule, but you just don’t do that. You might as well give plays away at this point. But that’s just my opinion of it.”

Disregarding Covid protocol is serious but what makes it even more serious is that Tiana was particularly vulnerable being immunocompromised because of her cancer treatments and multiple surgeries. I admit I don’t know if the transfers were a reaction to the discipline enacted because of Covid regulations but if it was... there’s quite a bit of growing up to do. Again there are too many unknowns and assumptions are unfair to everyone. There were 4 games cancelled and 2 additional games ”postponed” that were never played during the season though because of Covid. How many of those 6 games were because of SU issues vs other teams I also don’t know but 20% of the season’s games weren’t played.

Only time will tell; none of us truly know what is going on behind the scenes. Much of this is protected by federal law, just the the men’s lacrosse issue. In time, we will see how her being in the transfer portal plays out.

Remember Nicole, a quality guard who was unable to enroll until this year!

DC639D70-9C38-4D80-94E1-BEEFA82158FD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors