Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you even an SU fan? This is a Syracuse fan message board.
Yes, I have connections to the university...but I am objective and speak with a number of people, both in and out of athletics, across a wide range of higher academic settings. Q's game coaching is abysmal in my opinion, rigid and formulaic without the flexibility needed to place personnel in the best position to succeed and incommensurate with team unity. I think the mass exodus may speak to this as well as to his off-court persona and I think the University will react to this with its usual lack of action. I would love to be wrong.

This reminds me of the Lady Vols program and Coach Warlick. It was felt that she lost control of the program and/or the players had lost faith in coach. Sure appears control has been lost on the hill, time for SU to bite the bullet and step in and take action.

Yes, I have connections to the university...but I am objective and speak with a number of people, both in and out of athletics, across a wide range of higher academic settings. Q's game coaching is abysmal in my opinion, rigid and formulaic without the flexibility needed to place personnel in the best position to succeed and incommensurate with team unity. I think the mass exodus may speak to this as well as to his off-court persona and I think the University will react to this with its usual lack of action. I would love to be wrong.
Desko still being here is a prime example.

What a sexist group. Why is it necessary to bring in a female HC? Engstler left for Louisville where Walz, a man, is the HC.

There are numerous WBB teams at NCAA Division 1 schools with male HCs. Just because there appears to be an issue at SU doesn't mean bringing in a new coach, or a female WBB coach, will correct the problem.
List of current NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches - Wikipedia

unless the athletic leadership at the university takes action, we are likely to see a further erosion of the quality of our teams. Loyalty is import and yet not the sole characteristic of winning athletic programs. At times, the AD and staff must make leadership changes for the good of the program. I do not know enough about the relationship between our current coach and his players but to say that losing this many players, especially those with the ability of Kamilla, in a single season is not a good sign.
When I emailed the AD the response I received was a political one. While I didn’t expect an in-depth assessment of the program; I was at least hoping for a glimmer of hope for leadership accountability.
The AD doesn’t owe me anything, however, I think he owes those who support SU Athletics actions that befit quality program management.
I hope we see positive actions in support of maintaining and building a high level Women’s Basketball team!

10 guards: Williams, Hyman, Irvin, Aaron, Thornton, Murray, Day-Wilson, Wilson, Julianna Walker, Salmeron

3 forwards: Eboni Walker, Lattimore, Bartlett

unless the athletic leadership at the university takes action, we are likely to see a further erosion of the quality of our teams. Loyalty is import and yet not the sole characteristic of winning athletic programs. At times, the AD and staff must make leadership changes for the good of the program. I do not know enough about the relationship between our current coach and his players but to say that losing this many players, especially those with the ability of Kamilla, in a single season is not a good sign.
When I emailed the AD the response I received was a political one. While I didn’t expect an in-depth assessment of the program; I was at least hoping for a glimmer of hope for leadership accountability.
The AD doesn’t owe me anything, however, I think he owes those who support SU Athletics actions that befit quality program management.
I hope we see positive actions in support of maintaining and building a high level Women’s Basketball team!
There is a certain pattern so far as to where these ladies are transferring. Louisville, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami, ODU and NC A&T. They are all headed to southern schools where, just a guess from living in the south, there will be more fans at their games than in Syracuse.

The comments before the exodus about no banners/jersies hanging in the Dome for women players and what schools they are transferring to may be more telling than assuming it all has to do with the coaching staff.

IMO, Syracuse is a private university in a conference mostly dominated by southern schools, many with way more money to spend on sports. Having said that, there are ways to support women’s sports at Syracuse.
Retiring Jerseys of former stars​
create inventive and safe social outlets for student-athletes​
Hire more women as HC’s​
If the HC is a man, make a priority to have greater numbers of female assistants​
Within the NCAA rules, find ways to connect female student athletes to alums and community members for mentoring.​
These are some beginning ideas; feel free to add your ideas!

Am I the only one who thinks W is a lousy game day coach? Good recruiter but I think his teams have underachieved in general
You are not alone and his ego and public persona is that of a guy who has Geno's track record. Results have not kept up with talent in the last few years.

I just am a proponent of adding female to the staff. Obviously a male head coach is not a problem. But an all male staff is a problem, and I actually find that s x st. Young women need a female role model and a female that they can turn to at certain times. When we lost Delisha, we went all male, and almost continued that way, but some people interceded and implored them to hire a female when they were about to hire another male. Let's be real. There are female issues that you just can't discuss with a man. The core of the problem is on the entire dynamics involved here, so to suggest that asking for females on the staff of a women's team is purely s xist is just not recognizing some of the real problems.
My sexist comment was aimed at those who seemed to think the solution was hiring a female HC to replace Q. However as a recruiter and as a female who has worked in a male dominated environment I say hire the best "person" for the job.

And I guess those poor ladies on the SU Ice Hockey team must have a lot of pent up questions.

It's all speculation about what is going on and what might fix it. I'm with Linda, a female asst coach is needed, or was needed with this latest group. Are there any other women's bball teams having the same exodus of players?

EWU women’s basketball players were regularly entering the transfer portal before the firing of longtime coach Wendy Schuller last month following a third consecutive losing season. It ramped up after.

Eastern, which is seeking Schuller’s replacement, had eight players enter the transfer portal, including Big Sky Conference Freshman of the Year and former Liberty High standout Maisie Burnham. She has since signed with Portland.

The mass exodus of Mississippi State women's basketball players continues.

Matharu becomes the sixth MSU women's player to enter the portal since the season concluded. That's half of the Bulldogs' listed online roster.

Other MSU players to enter the portal include Xaria Wiggins, JaMya Mingo-Young, Yemiyah Morris, Sidney Cooks and Madison Hayes. That leaves six players from last year's team still with MSU – Myah Taylor, KN'isha Godfrey, Jessika Carter, Rickea Jackson, Charlotte Kohl and Caterrion Thompson. Three new Bulldogs are expected to enroll this summer.

Vanderbilt women's basketball player Autumn Newby has transferred to LSU, the third starter on the team to leave this week.

Vanderbilt is undergoing an exodus of talented players this offseason. The team's top two scorers, Koi Love and Chelsie Hall, also departed.

LSU women’s basketball coach Nikki Fargas confirmed Wednesday four more of her players have entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Seniors Awa Trasi and Karli Seay and freshmen Sharna Ayres and Treasure Thompson joined sophomore guard Tiara Young in seeking a new place to play. Young, a sophomore guard and the team’s third-leading scorer, confirmed Tuesday she intends to leave.

FWIW...all female Head Coaches.

Last edited:

EWU women’s basketball players were regularly entering the transfer portal before the firing of longtime coach Wendy Schuller last month following a third consecutive losing season. It ramped up after.

Eastern, which is seeking Schuller’s replacement, had eight players enter the transfer portal, including Big Sky Conference Freshman of the Year and former Liberty High standout Maisie Burnham. She has since signed with Portland.

The mass exodus of Mississippi State women's basketball players continues.

Matharu becomes the sixth MSU women's player to enter the portal since the season concluded. That's half of the Bulldogs' listed online roster.

Other MSU players to enter the portal include Xaria Wiggins, JaMya Mingo-Young, Yemiyah Morris, Sidney Cooks and Madison Hayes. That leaves six players from last year's team still with MSU – Myah Taylor, KN'isha Godfrey, Jessika Carter, Rickea Jackson, Charlotte Kohl and Caterrion Thompson. Three new Bulldogs are expected to enroll this summer.

Vanderbilt women's basketball player Autumn Newby has transferred to LSU, the third starter on the team to leave this week.

Vanderbilt is undergoing an exodus of talented players this offseason. The team's top two scorers, Koi Love and Chelsie Hall, also departed.

LSU women’s basketball coach Nikki Fargas confirmed Wednesday four more of her players have entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Seniors Awa Trasi and Karli Seay and freshmen Sharna Ayres and Treasure Thompson joined sophomore guard Tiara Young in seeking a new place to play. Young, a sophomore guard and the team’s third-leading scorer, confirmed Tuesday she intends to leave.

FWIW...all female Head Coaches.
Whether they have men or women coaching them shouldn't even be considered. When 12 of 15 players transfer there is a problem. 2 of the 3 1 played 3 minutes the other was injured.
The only player left is Priscilla, and who knows whether she will stay.

Khamya McNeal to Stetson

89219938-FC34-4B51-8946-B581451EF191.jpeg

What in the world is going on with Hillsman?

Now, his freshman defensive player of the year transfers out? What's that, all 12 scholarship players, or "only" 11 of them? How do you lose your entire team? I'm shocked that nothing has leaked out so far.

What in the world is going on with Hillsman?

Now, his freshman defensive player of the year transfers out? What's that, all 12 scholarship players, or "only" 11 of them? How do you lose your entire team? I'm shocked that nothing has leaked out so far.
Well the silver lining is maybe the band-aid got ripped off? Instead of a bunch of players underperforming for a coach that lingers on like this for years, a change will be made. I don't follow the women's team but my casual take is he is great in some areas as a coach but lacking in other areas and needs a very strong staff.

If you were 19, would you go to Syracuse(or any NY school) right now to sit in your room all day long?

Syracuse is a bleak enough place during most of the school year anyway. Remove the social life, and why would anyone possibly go/stay there?

If you were 19, would you go to Syracuse(or any NY school) right now to sit in your room all day long?

Syracuse is a bleak enough place during most of the school year anyway. Remove the social life, and why would anyone possibly go/stay there?
That all changes next school year.

Well the silver lining is maybe the band-aid got ripped off? Instead of a bunch of players underperforming for a coach that lingers on like this for years, a change will be made. I don't follow the women's team but my casual take is he is great in some areas as a coach but lacking in other areas and needs a very strong staff.

I could see that argument if it was all the under-performing outside shooters, or seniors who forgo their extra year of eligibility. But, man, you want to keep your 6-7 "Fab Melo" best defensive center in maybe the whole country. You reassure her that you will build your team around her next year. How did he let her get away? She put up very good offensive numbers, too. That's a killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom