Ennis having 2nd thoughts. Fwiw | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis having 2nd thoughts. Fwiw

I don't (fully) agree with this...

Ennis' playmaking ability is what separates him from other players in this draft class. He is one of the few “pure point guards” you can point to, as he led the NCAA in PPR as a freshman, posting a rate 50% higher than the next best PG. Ennis plays with a maturity beyond his years, as he operates at his own pace, is incredibly unselfish, and is always under control. He whips the ball all over the floor with great timing, moving the ball ahead for easy transition baskets, making pinpoint post-entry passes, and doing a tremendous job executing the pick and roll thanks to his superb ball-handling skills and court vision.

And that's the diplomatic reaction to that assessment.

One wonders if that person saw any Syracuse film this season or just assumed that a good Syracuse point guard must be adept at those things.

Why not? Tyler is an incredible passer, IMO. Our offense played slow this year but I wore out my DVR playback button watching some of his plays. For what its worth, I think Ennis will be a very good player in the league- and a starting PG at some point.

Well…he wasn't able to get the ball ahead for easy transition baskets, his entry passes were as infrequent as they were off-target (at best, it's not worth bringing it up because he didn't attempt many entry passes), and he hasn't seemed to grasp the pick and roll yet (we spent the second half of the year resetting our offense after Ennis failed to see around a hedge and get the ball to his screener).

Ennis made some spectacular passes that many of us enjoyed via DVR. Very few involved any of that highlighted text; add "finishing" and "lateral quickness" to that list and it'd sum up all of his current weaknesses. It was a very odd evaluation.

While I would love to see Tyler stay, I can't believe he would pass up the money.

orangejunkie said:
Could bees or jake weigh in on this thread? When they speak, I listen…...

I have no inside knowledge but I do know Gilardino and his source and they are solid. Keep in mind though that he said reconsidering, not definitely staying.

Well…he wasn't able to get the ball ahead for easy transition baskets, his entry passes were as infrequent as they were off-target (at best, it's not worth bringing it up because he didn't attempt many entry passes), and he hasn't seemed to grasp the pick and roll yet (we spent the second half of the year resetting our offense after Ennis failed to see around a hedge and get the ball to his screener).

Ennis made some spectacular passes that many of us enjoyed via DVR. Very few involved any of that highlighted text; add "finishing" and "lateral quickness" to that list and it'd sum up all of his current weaknesses. It was a very odd evaluation.
Disagree.
Most of our offensive issues were exacerbated when teams took away Cooney, and kept CJ on the outside shooting jumpers. That left Jerami and his drives to the basket, or Rak/BMK as alternatives. Also, Ennis isn't/wasn't a score-first PG and only looked for his when forced to.
The pro game will fit him perfectly since teams aren't limited to one or two scoring options. And of course his best attribute is his steadiness and lack of turnovers.
Our offensive woes had little to do with Tyler and more about predictability, lack of options, and lack of production from our starters. As a PG, Tyler did a fine job with the cards he was dealt. JMHO

Not easy to turn down millions of dollars when the alternative is living as a broke college student for at least another year in snowy Syracuse.

People act like if he doesn't take the money now it is gone for good. If he has a good year next year the money will there, plus more.

Gilardino you have one post that ennis may come back and another that grant is likely gone. Hopefully you are right with one and not the other. Only time will tell

Gilardino you have one post that ennis may come back and another that grant is likely gone. Hopefully you are right with one and not the other. Only time will tell

He could still be right about grant and wrong about Ennis :eek:

Hopefully it's the other way ;)

SC Orange said:

I hope he is right in one and wrong on the other. But regardless they both could keep changing their minds. They are both in that gray area of the draft.

People act like if he doesn't take the money now it is gone for good. If he has a good year next year the money will there, plus more.
Not necessarily more... and think of how hard it would be for you to turn down millions of dollars at 19

Not necessarily more... and think of how hard it would be for you to turn down millions of dollars at 19

If right now he is slotted to go somewhere between 16-22, that is a nice sum of money. If he comes back and gets stronger, works on his jump shot, there is no reason to believe he can't work his way into the top ten, maybe even top five, which is a pretty big difference.

which ennis are we talking about father or son ? I don't think Tyler's mind needs changing. I'll keep it at that.
Wait. Are you talking about the first thing or the second thing?
Better still. Did you talk to the guy? About the thing?
:)

Disagree.
Most of our offensive issues were exacerbated when teams took away Cooney, and kept CJ on the outside shooting jumpers. That left Jerami and his drives to the basket, or Rak/BMK as alternatives. Also, Ennis isn't/wasn't a score-first PG and only looked for his when forced to.
The pro game will fit him perfectly since teams aren't limited to one or two scoring options. And of course his best attribute is his steadiness and lack of turnovers.
Our offensive woes had little to do with Tyler and more about predictability, lack of options, and lack of production from our starters. As a PG, Tyler did a fine job with the cards he was dealt. JMHO

He (and others) did miss Cooney a lot when he was open in the middle-late part of the season. That was a period of time where getting him shots was clearly a priority so it's not like they were purposeful. I saw Cooney fsh open at least a dozen times where somebody with the ball had their back to him, didn't notice, or committed to some other action before looking to him. As rigid as our scheme was, the guy with the ball should have knwn where Cooney was going to be and that a shot opportunity could be there in most of those situations. Not trying to bash, but Tyler could still improve in several areas.

He (and others) did miss Cooney a lot when he was open in the middle-late part of the season. That was a period of time where getting him shots was clearly a priority so it's not like they were purposeful. I saw Cooney fsh open at least a dozen times where somebody with the ball had their back to him, didn't notice, or committed to some other action before looking to him. As rigid as our scheme was, the guy with the ball should have knwn where Cooney was going to be and that a shot opportunity could be there in most of those situations. Not trying to bash, but Tyler could still improve in several areas.
Oh, no question about that. He needs to get stronger and we still have no idea how good he'll be in M2M defense. Either way, I still think he was, more often than not, the lone bright spot on the team this year. CJ and Cooney became more inconsistent as the year wore on "fatigue?), and JG's injury set him back. But Tyler showed up most every game- and you knew what you were gonna get from him. I think he'll be a fine pro.

FWIW--I'm hearing that Grant is telling people he's leaving and the conditions are right for a scenario where Ennis reconsiders. However, there is absolutely nothing firm on Grants decision, and nothing firm indicating Ennis is actually reconsidering.

Lots of moving parts to both decisions and the recent success of kentucky and uconns run has put a couple more first rounders in the draft.

Nothing would surprise me either way on either ennis or grant.

That would be quite the unexpected plot twist, if the worst national championship game of all time led to Ennis returning. I guess we'd have to win the national championship next year to really cap it off.

FWIW--I'm hearing that Grant is telling people he's leaving and the conditions are right for a scenario where Ennis reconsiders. However, there is absolutely nothing firm on Grants decision, and nothing firm indicating Ennis is actually reconsidering.

Lots of moving parts to both decisions and the recent success of kentucky and uconns run has put a couple more first rounders in the draft.

Nothing would surprise me either way on either ennis or grant.
magic8ball.png

I wish some of you guys would learn to stop asking who the source was or giving the post the evil eye...I mean if the source is inside Manley do you really think he'll tell you...some guys have earned the right to post stuff without questioning their source or motive. Gilardino is one of those guys.
"sources?" is an anachronism from the early days of the net. I think the idea is the person saying it feels like Tom Brokaw sneering over his New York Times. It's not usually seen much anymore as sources become less and less important for a story to grow legs. Besides, even lies can have a source, you know?

If right now he is slotted to go somewhere between 16-22, that is a nice sum of money. If he comes back and gets stronger, works on his jump shot, there is no reason to believe he can't work his way into the top ten, maybe even top five, which is a pretty big difference.
Once again, no guarantees of that, and it's pretty hard to turn down a few million dollars when it's presented to you.

Once again, no guarantees of that, and it's pretty hard to turn down a few million dollars when it's presented to you.

No there isn't, but even if he doesn't have a great year it is hard to believe that he would fall lower than where he is now.

No there isn't, but even if he doesn't have a great year it is hard to believe that he would fall lower than where he is now.
Happens a lot of times in sports: Marcus Smart, Matt Leinart, etc.

Smart is going to be a top five pick, Leinart never had big time pro talent, and he still got picked 11th.

Pat Kelly said:
Smart is not really a good example. Sullinger or Mcadoo might be better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom