Ennis having 2nd thoughts. Fwiw | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis having 2nd thoughts. Fwiw

DIdn't gilarndo also break the Mike Hopkins thing?
He got it right but for the wrong reasons. Hop didn't say no to B.C.. They said no to him.

Maybe they just realized that the Harrisons have moved ahead of him.

I don't know about that. Back to back buzzer beaters in the tournament are pretty impressive, but doesn't mask either of their mediocre seasons.

Did I say just the fans? How about all of his teammates and coaching staff who put everything that they have into trying to win a title?
what will the coaches and fellow teammates do for him if he gets hurt? Nothing. If this was a sport you didn't follow at Syracuse, you would tell him to go pro in a second.

ya i have it on very good authority that he is gone. he has been for a while
I don't doubt it but things sometimes chane. Like finding out you aren't going where you were told you were going to go in the draft.

dasher said:
He got it right but for the wrong reasons. Hop didn't say no to B.C.. They said no to him.

Semantics. Did Hop demand "something"? It can be looked at either way.

I have always felt Ennis is more ready for another year then Grant. Suprised Ennis was the one that jumped the gun.

He can show he can score, hit the three, and shoot off the dribble more. I see a less flashy version of Kyrie Irving out of him, and man does he have a 40 minute motor. At worse case, I don't see his draft stock falling much with another year, if he becomes a pure scorer he could skyrocket into the top 10.

Meanwhile, Grant I am not sure of. if he doesn't improve his jumpshot, or his isolation game his stock could fall hard in the next two years. And imo, I don't think its definite his isolation game will ever come around. Good thing is I think he will still get drafted nicely though once he fills out with alittle weight. He is really crafty at finishing around the basket. He doesn' t miss much down there when he keeps his balence. Not to mention his family has the money.

Like perhaps an "outlet clause?" Either way, in the end it doesn't really matter, he's still ours right now. :)

Like perhaps an "outlet clause?" Either way, in the end it doesn't really matter, he's still ours right now. :)

Anyone who hires hop will have to ask for a buyout to prevent him from jumping ship after one year

And does he have any stock tips? What about bonds? Gotta think interest rates are gonna rise and I'm looking for a decent bond index fund. Thinking Vanguard S-T Investor grade but who knows

I've got a tip for you: Buy low, sell high.

Here's another: Don't smoke in bed.

what will the coaches and fellow teammates do for him if he gets hurt? Nothing. If this was a sport you didn't follow at Syracuse, you would tell him to go pro in a second.

There are people out there with nothing invested in syracuse basketball saying he needs another year of college.

There are people out there with nothing invested in syracuse basketball saying he needs another year of college.
Different argument. And one I sort of agree with. Yes, staying would allow him to get stronger and work on his jump shot. But the $$ would solve some other problems I'm sure. Either way, he owes jb and the coaches nothing other than to finish his school work. Same for his teammates.

No. Hop was not offered the job and it had nothing to do with jb or anything else. The A.D. wanted Christian from jump street.

Different argument. And one I sort of agree with. Yes, staying would allow him to get stronger and work on his jump shot. But the $$ would solve some other problems I'm sure. Either way, he owes jb and the coaches nothing other than to finish his school work. Same for his teammates.

What other problems? The money isn't going anywhere, it isn't like the nba is going to fold in the next year, or he is going to lose of all of his skills next season.

I remember back in the 80's, 90's that there was talk that the top players including some on SU got insurance policies to protect them from injuries. Back then, it seemed that staying was more attractive because of the insurance policy along with the advances in orthopedics, players with what had been considered previously career ending issues became very treatable.

Being a definite lottery pick seemed to be the goal, anything else didn't seem worth it to leave back then. Have things changed - are those insurance policies no longer available? Has the money increased that much? Have D1 player injuries increased, gotten more serious? Heck DC stayed 4 years, Sherman stayed 4, Pearl stayed 3, Owens stayed 3, John Wallace came back for his senior year etc. I don't think the NBA dream has changed for players but for some reason how they get there has. I assume something has changed to make leaving vs playing for a few years enjoying the college life and staying a kid less attractive for some reason. I'm not criticizing, judging - just wondering - seems like things are definitely different or have the kids/parents and their goals changed?

Just found this link below: I blame the NCAA - if they wanted to help these kids stay in school they would allow loss of value insurance too. Glad they have career ending insurance but it needs to be expanded.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/s...-about-disability-insurance-for-athletes.html

Last edited:
Doesn't it seem logical that if he is hearing that he isn't as valued as he was led to believe that he might be giving it second thoughts?
Likely Napier is moving up in scouts opinions, and he is quicker and a better scorer. This will inevitably push Ennis downward. Size not that much different. Guards taken will be ahead of Ennis, not to mention the other positions. I think he may be getting feedback that he is not as sought as he assumed. Whether he changes his mind who knows, but if he has quit going to school as some have said he may not be able to change.

I believe you are not technically correct Hopkins wanted an escape clause from BC, and they were not willing to give him that. I guess this means they did not want him because of that, but kind of blurs who did not want whom.

What if he is not taken in round 1? Then it becomes not a very good move at all. He may be hearing that he is on the bubble after play of some guards in the tournament.

That's why you root for the jersey.

Players come and go.

People seem to have a lot of problems with the jerseys as well.

I agree...I root for the Syracuse University and once the players leave I root for them to have success.

You are correct but when you follow someone then you also develop some feelings for the player. You either like him because of what he does on and off the court or don't for same reasons. I think most SU fans got to like Ennis not just because he was a good player but because he wasn't a thug . When you like someone you have a tendency to be concerned and even critical when you feel certain decisions are not in his best interests.. When Melo was going pro how many SU fans thought that this was the wrong decision? none. Even JAB told him to go when he was considering another year at SU.

Best of Luck to Ennis either way. But if I was a player I would put my trust in people who one, know a little about the NBA and their promises, and two know a little about me and what I have to do to be more than a one contract NBA player. (JAB)

Ha you're not going to get that source. This is inside info.
Plus its the freaking internet, noone needs sources anymore, facts are barely relevant.
And if sources are given, don't trust them.

My sources that tell me that Oklahoma to the Big Ten is imminent are never wrong.

Will never happen unless he grows 3 inches or develops a super power. He is Mo Cheeks in a MCW(height)/Russel Westbrook(sick athlete) world.

Capt,
I know the NBA is different than what it use to be but Stockton wasn't too tall and was not extremely athletic either. I am not saying Ennis will have that type of career but I guess I am the minority that thinks that Ennis will have a long NBA career. I also think he will become a starting PG in the league, maybe not the first or second year, but eventually.

People seem to have a lot of problems with the jerseys as well.

I agree...I root for the Syracuse University and once the players leave I root for them to have success.
Good point. The jerseys are problematic to root for as well. No way I ever root for duct tape; I don't care how many hipsters tell me it is cool.

Even the shoes, which are often unmatched from player to player and a virtual smorgasbord of colors, are not something I can root for.

So I root for the socks and (for the players who choose to wear them), the headbands.

But not the elbow sleeves. Never the elbow sleeves. They are a bit too pretentious for me; remind me of ladies attending an opera.

Kerry-Washington-rocked-custom-metallic-floral-Vera-Wang-gown.jpg

Returning to the original subject at hand, I sure hope TE changes his mind and comes back for one more year at Syracuse. Even if he did wear weird colored shoes and an opera glove-like elbow sleeve late in the season...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom