Ennis to NBA per ESPN | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis to NBA per ESPN

His entire offensive game except for the fact he's not an elite shooter. His ball handling is second to none. His IQ and feel for the game are amazing. He makes fantastic decisions and almost never hurts he team. I've never seen a better SU point guard IMO. He makes all kinds plays at critical e times in games. I just think he's great basketball player

I think JBs system the past two years has really hurt the offensive productivity if the players Despite this I think Tyler still excelled and actually did better than MCW did last year.

Pretty much everyone handles the ball well in the nba, even bigs. Getting the ball to the right guy in the right spot is important, but so is being able to shoot, and get to the basket. He is a very good college player, not so sure I would throw out the word great at the next level.

Probably 75% of the time I agree with players who leave early. But I don't get this one.

I don't see how he translates to the next level. His pace of play is REALLY slow. Like molasses. Right off that bat I think that hurts him. Yeah, he doesn't turn the ball over much, but he also doesn't make a lot of very quick decisions, the type that are needed in the NBA.

#2, he can't penetrate without pushing off. Most of his dribble penetration came after pushing the defender back. That won't fly in the NBA because he's not going to be strong enough to push off. I don't see elite NBA athleticism in terms of quickness.

#3, he's an average shooter.

You nailed it. While I think that Ennis is crafty, his sub- par quickness (in his decision making, release, and with his feet) is going to hurt him in a big way in the NBA

You nailed it. While I think that Ennis is crafty, his sub- par quickness (in his decision making, release, and with his feet) is going to hurt him in a big way in the NBA

?????

Ennis got past his man at will.

He also shot just under just under 36% from 3.

Everyone says to succeed in the NBA you have to do at least 1 thing great. I think Ennis has a great handle, and is great at protecting the ball and running an offense. I really don't see an area where he is really bad? I think his ability to play defense will determine whether he is a career starter, or a career reserve. Personally I think he will be able to cover good enough to have a long successful career.

Ennis' ballhandling is overrated. Everyone's TOs are down this year.

It happens every time we get an early commit, the negative comments come out of the woodwork. When people start questioning how he will do against Russell Westbrook it borders on ridiculous. Westbrook has his way with most current NBA players so what's the point. He had a fantastic freshman season and it started in Canada when he stepped up in the one close game and carried the team. Did it all season as well. He is quick with the ball and was able to get his shot consistently throughout the season. He already is a more skilled overall player than MCW and certainly a better shooter as a freshman than MCW was as a sophomore. Defense is his major question but he does have very quick hands and great anticipation. I think he led the acc in steals. Hope for the best and getting back to back lottery point guards only helps with future recruits.

It happens every time we get an early commit, the negative comments come out of the woodwork. When people start questioning how he will do against Russell Westbrook it borders on ridiculous. Westbrook has his way with most current NBA players so what's the point. He had a fantastic freshman season and it started in Canada when he stepped up in the one close game and carried the team. Did it all season as well. He is quick with the ball and was able to get his shot consistently throughout the season. He already is a more skilled overall player than MCW and certainly a better shooter as a freshman than MCW was as a sophomore. Defense is his major question but he does have very quick hands and great anticipation. I think he led the acc in steals. Hope for the best and getting back to back lottery point guards only helps with future recruits.

I think he had a great year and he's a very good college player. I also think he would benefit from a second year of college, which I rarely say about elite talents.

Probably 75% of the time I agree with players who leave early. But I don't get this one.

I don't see how he translates to the next level. His pace of play is REALLY slow. Like molasses. Right off that bat I think that hurts him. Yeah, he doesn't turn the ball over much, but he also doesn't make a lot of very quick decisions, the type that are needed in the NBA.

#2, he can't penetrate without pushing off. Most of his dribble penetration came after pushing the defender back. That won't fly in the NBA because he's not going to be strong enough to push off. I don't see elite NBA athleticism in terms of quickness.

#3, he's an average shooter.
Here's the thing to get - despite those weaknesses, his stock is high. That's really all there is to it.

I'm not talking one on one matchups...I'm talking about skill level. Use Irving, curry, Lillard, kemba, Paul or whoever you like. I don't see Ennis being better in any category than these guys. These are his cohorts.

Over the last 10 years, only one player has created as much negative discussion after leaving early.

That player was out of the league in 3 years.

Just saying.

Agreed. I'd hate to have a final four and national title in the last five years.

Oh. And a regional final. Also, they're still playing.

Friend of mine grew up in KY and went to high school with Rex Chapman. She is losing her affection for Kentucky precisely because it's all new players every year under Cal.

Really? $1M invested yields a 10 percent return nowadays, if diversified properly? Really? You in with Madoff's buddies? Standard equity and fund returns are much more like 6 - 8 percent at best. First of all, investing $1M is chicken feed these days for leverage--many of the high-yielding funds have minimums of 1/4 to 1/2 of that for starters, so you're $1M ante-stake isn't taking you very far. Secondly, buying a money manager of any quality requires a far larger opening stake than $1M. Thirdly, based on a long line of NBA rookies and veterans that came before Ennis, most fritter the money away in no time. How many Magic's does the league produce--guys that turn their pro careers into something enterprising afterwards? Hardly any. And, there aren't too many rookies out there socking the money away as has MCW. As for Ennis' lifetime earnings, if he's miscalculated his worth to the NBA--like many other one-and-done's have--then his first contract will constitute the majority of his earnings, unless he goes back to school and earns a degree. It takes a long time making 40 large a year coaching basketball to accumulate $1M.

Where do you get 10% return on any investment these days?

I don't think that the bolded is true. I don't recall very many people criticizing Flynn for his decision to leave early (and those who did were, in hindsight, correct). IIRC, most people here didn't agree with Greene's decision, from a basketball standpoint. Again, those people were right.

MCW's decision was also questioned, and so far, he's quieted the skeptics.

I don't recall a single person saying that Melo had anything to gain by returning for the '03-'04 season.

Regarding Ennis, I just don't see an NBA PG. I don't think that he has the quickness or size that you'd like in a PG, he's not a particularly good shooter/finisher, and he doesn't run the break well. Decent passer, but IMO, the reasons that he turned the ball over so infrequently were (1) the glacial pace at which our offense played; and (2) he didn't take very many chances.

I don't think that the bolded is true. I don't recall very many people criticizing Flynn for his decision to leave early (and those who did were, in hindsight, correct). IIRC, most people here didn't agree with Greene's decision, from a basketball standpoint. Again, those people were right.

I don't recall a single person saying that Melo had anything to gain by returning for the '03-'04 season.

Regarding Ennis, I just don't see an NBA PG. I don't think that he has the quickness or size that you'd like in a PG, he's not a particularly good shooter/finisher, and he doesn't run the break well. Decent passer, but IMO, the reasons that he turned the ball over so infrequently were (1) the glacial pace at which our offense played; and (2) he didn't take very many chances.

But all this debate as to whether or not he is an NBA level player is an indicator just how broke the system is. 15 - 20 years ago when elite players were staying in college 3 or 4 years, the NBA had plenty of ripe fruit to pick from the college tree. A freshman player, regardless of how good probably would not be a top 10 - 15 pick and would most likely return to college. This certainly provided much more opportunity for the NBA to see how these players develop not only in skill, but physically and mentally. With the system now, the tree is barren of ripe fruit and the NBA needs to spend lottery picks on green players hoping that they develop into NBA caliber performers. It calls for much more speculation and risk since they are paying lottery pick money for young kids that may or may not develop into what they hope. It is certainly great for a kid like Ennis to get drafted based on potential, but it sucks for the college game and is not good for the NBA in my opinion either.

I'm really getting sick of people laying out reasons he should come back because none of them are valid. He is literally never going to be drafted ahead of where he is projected now. Every improvement he needs to make in his game can be done after he leaves for the nba (remember he will no longer be limited on how much time he can spend with coaches).

Then you got people with the it's all about the 2nd contract, yes that is where you become super rich, but he will still make more money from basketball if he doesnt get a 2nd contract that an majority of the board. You people seem to forget that all fringe NBA guys can still come to Europe and make more money than a majority of people working day jobs. Take the time to look at those rosters and tell me that Ennis wont be making money from basketball for years to come.

Selfishly I wish he would come back too, but to say it is whats best for him is just ignorant.

Here is my fear for Tyler Ennis:

June 28, 2000: Drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 1st round (28th pick) of the 2000 NBA Draft.

August 5, 2002: Traded by the Portland Trail Blazers with Steve Kerr and a 2003 2nd round draft pick (Andreas Glyniadakis was later selected) to the San Antonio Spurs for Antonio Daniels, Amal McCaskill and Charles Smith.

October 25, 2003: Traded by the San Antonio Spurs with cash to the Chicago Bulls for future considerations.

October 25, 2003: Waived by the Chicago Bulls.

Who is the above player? Probably the players whose college game most reminds me of Tyler...Erick Barkley. Their games are eerily similar. Barkley was better on the break though.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barkler01.html

with any luck he too can lead an NBA team to 26+ losses.

lets keep that record a Syracuse to NBA PG tradition!!!!!

with any luck he too can lead an NBA team to 26+ losses.

lets keep that record a Syracuse to NBA PG tradition!!!!!
654000830382329258.png

Here's the thing to get - despite those weaknesses, his stock is high. That's really all there is to it.

Maybe but his product isn't where it needs to be. Look at the muscle mass on your average NBA guard, then look at Ennis.

Maybe but his product isn't where it needs to be. Look at the muscle mass on your average NBA guard, then look at Ennis.
I'd rather lift heavy in the NBA than rehab light.

we aren't the only ones to see the guy is skinny i don't think NBA teams are worried about guys getting bigger if they need to. that's the easy part. (i think steroids are a giant problem in the nba that no one thinks about)

The people saying Ennis won't translate well to the NBA, dont watch the NBA.

Not every point guard is Chris Paul or Russell Westbrook.

But all this debate as to whether or not he is an NBA level player is an indicator just how broke the system is. 15 - 20 years ago when elite players were staying in college 3 or 4 years, the NBA had plenty of ripe fruit to pick from the college tree. A freshman player, regardless of how good probably would not be a top 10 - 15 pick and would most likely return to college. This certainly provided much more opportunity for the NBA to see how these players develop not only in skill, but physically and mentally. With the system now, the tree is barren of ripe fruit and the NBA needs to spend lottery picks on green players hoping that they develop into NBA caliber performers. It calls for much more speculation and risk since they are paying lottery pick money for young kids that may or may not develop into what they hope. It is certainly great for a kid like Ennis to get drafted based on potential, but it sucks for the college game and is not good for the NBA in my opinion either.

That's a pretty good analogy. I like it.

Ennis is an outstanding finisher and he is virtually I guardable. He got by his man or got his shot off at will. He's one of the smartest basketball players I've seen at any level and I think that many of you are underestimating that quality

He's 18 years old for god sakes and no one can deny that he's the probably the best freshman point guard in the history of the school. He's a fantastic basketball player that I can say has been underestimated on this board since day one. Many of the all time greats were not amazing athletes They were very highly skilled very bright players Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Pistol Pete to name just a few. Tyler is in that same mold. He's a very special player. One of the best to ever wear orange.

Ennis is not an outstanding finisher.

Anyone who says Ennis is an outstanding finisher either doesn't know what he is looking at or didn't just sit through that 34-game season in which he missed over a quarter of his layup attempts (many of them open).

Ennis is an outstanding finisher and he is virtually I guardable. He got by his man or got his shot off at will. He's one of the smartest basketball players I've seen at any level and I think that many of you are underestimating that quality

He's 18 years old for god sakes and no one can deny that he's the probably the best freshman point guard in the history of the school. He's a fantastic basketball player that I can say has been underestimated on this board since day one. Many of the all time greats were not amazing athletes They were very highly skilled very bright players Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Pistol Pete to name just a few. Tyler is in that same mold. He's a very special player. One of the best to ever wear orange.

Ennis unguardable at the NBA level? Wow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom