Erv Philips | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Erv Philips

rrlbees said:
I would say a lot of college coaches were dead wrong too. Why not blast them? I mean, aren't they the experts.

There were other posts blasting coaches in this thread. Almost everyone missed. Shafer himself said they weren't completely sure just how good he could be until he stepped on campus.

I said body type and style of play. I didn't say the kid is the next Percy Harvin.

Yes, it's one game against central Michigan in a blow out. Surely the results were skewed, but he looked like our best playmaker out there, IMO.

Speed and decisiveness is critical in today's game.

If there's any knock on him it's his size, but that being said, and the broadcast picked up on it (and I thought they did a nice job today), Erv needs less space to hit a hole. At least a lot less space than AAM

If there's any knock on him it's his size, but that being said, and the broadcast picked up on it (and I thought they did a nice job today), Erv needs less space to hit a hole. At least a lot less space than AAM
Yeah I thought the announcers were pretty solid.

If his grades were in order he was have had multiple BCS offers. Also, Dohn is a boob.

I don't know what other teams recruiters were looking at, but I saw his HS highlight tape that was posted here when we recruited him. I thought he looked great...exceptionally great. I really liked the way he ran. (and I posted that opinion at the time)

Only question I had, besides qualifying, was the level of competition he was playing against. Mainly because he made the opponents defenses look silly.

If his grades were in order he was have had multiple BCS offers. Also, Dohn is a boob.

Someone's been celebrating a little too hard...

it was just one game, but he looked pretty good. did UConn recruit him? or did they just take the other kid from CT and call it a day. he looks at least as good as the other kid.
Uconn never offered because of grades.

I think any mention of RB's in this game Adonis deserves some props too- no indecision in his game today. By far his best game to date
Brian Dohn recruiting guru from the at the site said "nothing about Phillips screams BCS to me". Tells you how much these guys know.
I tell ya, I know its CMU and I know its just one game, but you could see this kids skill, it hit you in the face. Good feeling about him...

A little disappointed they didn't stretch the field with Custis given his height, but I like it that they were targeting him out there and Ishmael made a great catch in traffic in the first half.

They did stretch the field with Custis, the problem was they stretched it sideways and kept throwing bubble screens to him.

If Phillips keeps his school work in order and keeps working hard he will help this team. He's a freshmen and will have his young guy moments but he reminded me of when a freshmen named Bailey came in against ND and threw a different type of spark into the offense.

what Phillips showed yesterday was:
  • a good eye for finding holes
  • quick feet
  • a quick burst capability
I do look forward to watching his game-to-game development!
Erv, thank you for your efforts in this good team win!

I like his burst, ankle breaking change of direction and wiggle. We've missed that. One of the WRs we just offered has similar wiggle on the outside, hoping we can snag him.

I didnt think he could be an every down back being so slight but I also know I don't want him to get much bigger. Stronger yes bigger no. I think size has slowed down Gulley and Estime.

Last edited:
I like his burst, ankle breaking change of direction and wiggle. We've missed that. One of the WRs we just offered has similar wiggle on the outside, hoping we can snag him.

I didnt think he could be an everybody back being so slight but I also now don't want him to get much bigger. Stronger yes bigger no. I think size has slowed down Gulley and Estime.

To be fair to Estime PO, he has had an ankle injury and you can see that when he walks.

I love the game Erv had today, but lets keep the expectations in reality.

These even mild comps to Harvin and Austin are a bit ridiculous. Lets see Erv run away from an ACC defense before we anoint him.
Barry Sanders

Lot of FR that are going to be big time players for us if they progress. Phillips is definitely one of them. I think our backfield in 2015 with McFarlane, Morris and Phillips is special.

I remember someone on here, who shall remain nameless, kept saying that we didn't recruit a RB last year. He would say that Erv wasn't a true RB and would only be used out in the wing to throw passes too. He looked like a damn good running back today.

LOL. And I remember when I kept posting his tweets on the recruiting forum about the coaches wanting him to be ready to play this year how many folks dismissed it as recruiting bull.

Which big schools offered him? Did they make a mistake?

He did also have grade issues so the coaches took a chance on him being able to qualify which other schools may not have.

Not trying to be the board schoolmarm but there seems to be some confusion about the spelling of Erv's last name. I believe it's Philips...one l. It's early in the school year so nobody will be graded down for the misspelling.

Okay...back to your regular assignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom