Erv Philips | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Erv Philips

I remember someone on here, who shall remain nameless, kept saying that we didn't recruit a RB last year. He would say that Erv wasn't a true RB and would only be used out in the wing to throw passes too. He looked like a damn good running back today.

it was just one game, but he looked pretty good. did UConn recruit him? or did they just take the other kid from CT and call it a day. he looks at least as good as the other kid.

it was just one game, but he looked pretty good. did UConn recruit him? or did they just take the other kid from CT and call it a day. he looks at least as good as the other kid.
I was researching his back articles and I think Temple was about it...

Keep the faith, Toga!

What we saw today is that we have one more dangerous guy than we thought. It's not zero sum.
Now in the second year, I see what Shafer is doing with his backs...he is filling up his weapon chest . Many choices. Depth backs seem to get more changes under Shafer.

No clue who he was until today.

Impressed me the most. Get him the ball. Love the Austin comparison, and I'll also say body type and style of play reminds me of Percy Harvin.

Throw him some screens. Not to our tightends. Kid showed great vision.

No clue who he was until today.

Impressed me the most. Get him the ball. Love the Austin comparison, and I'll also say body type and style of play reminds me of Percy Harvin.

Throw him some screens. Not to our tightends. Kid showed great vision.

I thought of Harvin as well...difference is Harvin is deceptively strong. Phillips needs to hit the weight room. These are both lofty comparisons of course but Erv has similar body type, speed, gear shifts and, as you said, vision.

#playmaker

I've been a George Morris guy ... but
Me too but this kid looked real good. Only one game but something to look forward. Got nothing out of PTG today.

anglerman said:
Brian Dohn recruiting guru from the at the site said "nothing about Phillips screams BCS to me". Tells you how much these guys know.

Tells you how much 120 other BCS coaches know too.

Yes it would appear that the other 120 were wrong as well. I don't think many major schools recruit Connecticut.
PSU (notably Silas Redd), RU, Pitt, ND, BC for a few.

I love the game Erv had today, but lets keep the expectations in reality.

These even mild comps to Harvin and Austin are a bit ridiculous. Lets see Erv run away from an ACC defense before we anoint him.
this, this, a thousand times THIS.

He was awesome today. I'm excited an optimistic for his future. But for the love of all that is good, lets reign it in a bit.

Tells you how much 120 other BCS coaches know too.

He may not have been a national level recruit, but i'm pretty sure academic concerns really hurt his recruitment. There was very little chance of him qualifying going into his senior season, and we know most schools have their evaluations done well before then.

this, this, a thousand times THIS.

He was awesome today. I'm excited an optimistic for his future. But for the love of all that is good, lets reign it in a bit.
He is clearly something special , how are we supposed to control ourselves. And we've had adult beverages.

anglerman said:
Brian saw him in person and basically said he wasn't impressed. So I would say yes he was dead wrong.

I would say a lot of college coaches were dead wrong too. Why not blast them? I mean, aren't they the experts.

anomander said:
He may not have been a national level recruit, but i'm pretty sure academic concerns really hurt his recruitment. There was very little chance of him qualifying going into his senior season, and we know most schools have their evaluations done well before then.

We're the only ones that evaluate after a kid qualifies?

Brian Dohn recruiting guru from the at the site said "nothing about Phillips screams BCS to me". Tells you how much these guys know.

Then again, Brian Dohn is an agenda-driven boob. So does this come as a surprise?

We're the only ones that evaluate after a kid qualifies?

we offered him during Spring evaluation after Junior year. We take far more chances on non qualifiers then most schools do, especially the ones around us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom