ESPN Cut List.. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Cut List..

the 6 is the most embarrassing TV product I have ever tried to watch. Literally should be ashamed of themselves
Haven't even bothered with it. The idea that they got their own themed SC is moronic. They were ok as guests on other shows, but cannot carry a show on their own.

This seemed relevant: The Familiar Lousiness of the ESPN Layoffs – The Ringer

This section in particular:

"We’ve been here before, too. When the NFL ratings sank last season, it was all Colin Kaepernick’s fault. One of the curses of living in interesting times (Donald Trump Edition) is that every media organization bears the mark of a secret political agenda, according to that one guy on the message board who has figured it all out."

referring to it as a blood bath is a joke to. it's 100 people big whoopdeedoo. awww these poor rich dudes are getting laid off.

a blood bath headline is insulting when you see a 1,000 middle class people getting laid off in places like Ilion, NY or elsewhere.
I can't 'like' this enough. If I could it would break the 'like' counter.

Having been through two lay off in past year and a half made me much more cynical. I understand what they are going through and wish them well in finding their next check. Doesn't seem like they are getting any severance pay which sucks
Wait What? No severance. From Disney?

This is like when a car company tries to remain profitable by cutting costs instead of investing in what is necessary to make a good car.

I didn't stop watching sportcenter because I went somewhere else for highlights. I stopped because the anchors suck. They used to have genuine personality and wit. They made sports highlights that I didn't even care about fun. For a decade now they've hired anchors that grew up watching SC and do horrible imitations of what used to be good. It's not genuine, it's not witty, and it's not fun. They don't know how to find talent anymore and haven't for a long time. They just grab an opinionated loud mouthed blogger/podcaster or former athlete and think people will tune in.

It's a big country ESPN. Do some homework and find another Dan Patrick or Kenny Mayne. It's been 20 years since you hired one.

I have to admit, i dont think anyboyd that got canned was overly talented. Brett Mcmurphy is the only guys Im gonna miss...he seemed to be an insider and reported on small things I found very interesting. I wanna say he was always the most important tweeter when it came to syracuse related hirings

This is like when a car company tries to remain profitable by cutting costs instead of investing in what is necessary to make a good car.

I didn't stop watching sportcenter because I went somewhere else for highlights. I stopped because the anchors suck. They used to have genuine personality and wit. They made sports highlights that I didn't even care about fun. For a decade now they've hired anchors that grew up watching SC and do horrible imitations of what used to be good. It's not genuine, it's not witty, and it's not fun. They don't know how to find talent anymore and haven't for a long time. They just grab an opinionated loud mouthed blogger/podcaster or former athlete and think people will tune in.

It's a big country ESPN. Do some homework and find another Dan Patrick or Kenny Mayne. It's been 20 years since you hired one.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that ESPN will let SportsCenter anchor John Buccigross’s contract expire this summer

ESPN executives will continue to evaluate talent contracts in the near term; and there very well could be more talent exits, some of them high-profile. Several contracts are coming up for renewal soon, including that of SportsCenter anchor John Buccigross, whose contract is up in July. An ESPN source said the network hopes to keep Buccigross.

ESPN executives will continue to evaluate talent contracts in the near term; and there very well could be more talent exits, some of them high-profile. Several contracts are coming up for renewal soon, including that of SportsCenter anchor John Buccigross, whose contract is up in July. An ESPN source said the network hopes to keep Buccigross.

Reading between the lines...they would like to keep him, but for less money...

Well with street reconfigurations am not sure the street is even there anymore. It's about a block over from Chestnut Street. The last I knew it was there for sure was maybe 25 years ago. If you knew the bar scene at the time - it was down a block from the Silver Fox.
I didn't start hanging out there till the 80's. Lots of good times at some of those bars. Place would be hopping during college and dead in the summer when it wasn't.

I didn't start hanging out there till the 80's. Lots of good times at some of those bars. Place would be hopping during college and dead in the summer when it wasn't.
My college days were largely spent at The Rail, The Pub, Copper and Abner Doubledays (which was bought by a fraternity brother when he inherited $1 million on his 21st birthday). Awesome times.

I agree, this has been coming for years, the his and her thing in the 6-7 window is inexcusable. Sportscaster in the morning has turned into the sports version of the today show, a fluffy fashion show. Add in the fact you give the NBA 1.4 B for their rights, for that brutal product. Alot of the programing is 5 suits and a skirt talking around a table with no real content. Yep, thats what you get, operating fat for years and only catering to the 14-22 yo demographic.

TNT seems to be doing just fine with the NBA. It's the second most watched sport in America. Now wonder you don't know anything about the Draft if you think the product stinks.

I have to admit, i dont think anyboyd that got canned was overly talented. Brett Mcmurphy is the only guys Im gonna miss...he seemed to be an insider and reported on small things I found very interesting. I wanna say he was always the most important tweeter when it came to syracuse related hirings

Jayson Stark is extremely talented/knowledgeable

I miss the old sports center. When I was a kid I used to watch it from about 9am until noon every day over summer vacation. That being said, even if they went back to that old format and it was as awesome as it used to be, I probably wouldn't watch now because it's so easy to get scores and videos online.

Long before I became a tennis fan, that was a big underrated highlight of summer vacation - sitting there early in the morning, Sportscenter running highlights of the French Open and the previous night's baseball games. It was great, didn't matter what they showed, but it was enjoyable to watch.

Last I saw (and it's been years), they completely destroyed that.

Not everyone who works at ESPN is rich FWIW. It sucks when anyone loses their job. Especially the 80+ people who make regular salaries and most likely had to move to take a job @ ESPN

so what happens next.. ESPN over pays and people cut the cord, but people still want to watch, at some point if no one can afford to broadcast what happens?

"If you talk to sports fans and to people who have watched ESPN religiously for most of their lives, they’ll tell you the problem is the lack of sports and a surplus of shows featuring people screaming at each other. The near-universal sentiment of former ESPN addicts I’ve spoken to is that the content provider sidelined actual sports in favor of carnival barkers. Sure, you clicked over to ESPN to watch sports, but what you’re actually going to get are “Crossfire”-esque segments of non-athletes making dumb arguments about topics you don’t care about."

THIS is the reason I stopped watching. It's pretty much the equivalent of watching the douchebag political pontificators on the "news" channels. Screw that.

Not everyone who works at ESPN is rich FWIW. It sucks when anyone loses their job. Especially the 80+ people who make regular salaries and most likely had to move to take a job @ ESPN

Yeah I thought I read most of the layoffs we're .com people making 80-120k. Which is nice money for the work but definitely not Mike Greenburg cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom