ESPN Cut List.. | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Cut List..

Yeah I thought I read most of the layoffs we're .com people making 80-120k. Which is nice money for the work but definitely not Mike Greenburg cash.

Also living in connecticut takes that back a bit. It's certainly not a blood bath lol but when this happen it sucks.

"If you talk to sports fans and to people who have watched ESPN religiously for most of their lives, they’ll tell you the problem is the lack of sports and a surplus of shows featuring people screaming at each other. The near-universal sentiment of former ESPN addicts I’ve spoken to is that the content provider sidelined actual sports in favor of carnival barkers. Sure, you clicked over to ESPN to watch sports, but what you’re actually going to get are “Crossfire”-esque segments of non-athletes making dumb arguments about topics you don’t care about."

THIS is the reason I stopped watching. It's pretty much the equivalent of watching the douchebag political pontificators on the "news" channels. Screw that.

Yet, you not watching ESPN had nothing to do with the firings like many of you like to believe. If you have cable/satellite, you're paying for it. Politics had nothing to do with what's going on in Bristol.

This was a bandage on a bullet wound. They haven't adapted to the new media model. HBO had the foresight and created HBOGO. People who cut the cord are still paying a subscription fee to see premium content.

The problem is worsened by the fact accountants are making all of the decisions in Bristol. They fired people who create content worth going to their properties for. Some of these guys can't be replaced. It is a bloodbath in that sense regardless of it being 100 or 1,000. ESPN does not have the talent to fill the gaps of those leaving and those that have already departed. The brand is in trouble.

As a former ESPNU employee, I know of a few people who got laid off today. Really smart and talented people being let go is never news you want to hear. Hope they excel in their next gig.

Add Andy Katz to the list. Don't think I saw him mentioned yet

My college days were largely spent at The Rail, The Pub, Copper and Abner Doubledays (which was bought by a fraternity brother when he inherited $1 million on his 21st birthday). Awesome times.
I remember a few of those places. Not sure if you remember the Dark Horse Saloon but that place was great too. It ended up burning down back in 92 -http://www.thedailystar.com/news/local_news/recollections-of-dark-horse-saloon-fire/article_56da3436-6479-582e-9b0b-4f1e292c2dbd.html

Andy Katz has me shocked bigly. He was their top college basketball writer and had contacts.

Was versatile on TV, print, podcasting.

I really don't get ESPN.
Stephen A, Max Kellerman, Mike Greenberg, Mike Golic, Jemele Hill equal more than the salary they dumped yesterday.

Those 5 cost about 20 million dollars annually.

Yet, you not watching ESPN had nothing to do with the firings like many of you like to believe. If you have cable/satellite, you're paying for it. Politics had nothing to do with what's going on in Bristol.

This was a bandage on a bullet wound. They haven't adapted to the new media model. HBO had the foresight and created HBOGO. People who cut the cord are still paying a subscription fee to see premium content.

The problem is worsened by the fact accountants are making all of the decisions in Bristol. They fired people who create content worth going to their properties for. Some of these guys can't be replaced. It is a bloodbath in that sense regardless of it being 100 or 1,000. ESPN does not have the talent to fill the gaps of those leaving and those that have already departed. The brand is in trouble.

Right. The two biggest issues are cord cutters resulting in loss of subscriber revenue and overpaying for sports broadcast rights. Less money coming in, more money going out. It has very little to do with ratings or content. The thing is, they did adapt pretty early, like HBO, with their WatchESPN app. The problem, I think, is that they are still in bed with cable providers when it comes to the streaming service, meaning that you can't access the content without proving that you are a cable subscriber. It's a big mess that is going to take a decent amount of time to get righted.

I remember a few of those places. Not sure if you remember the Dark Horse Saloon but that place was great too. It ended up burning down back in 92 -http://www.thedailystar.com/news/local_news/recollections-of-dark-horse-saloon-fire/article_56da3436-6479-582e-9b0b-4f1e292c2dbd.html
Looking at a map - Dark Horse Saloon was probably Abner Doubledays in my time. As an aside, I happen to know the owner referenced in the article - Otto Rothermel. Perhaps Otto bought out my fraternity brother. BTW it used to be when a bar changed hands - all the liquor owned by previous management had to be gone. There were a couple of weeks there, in an effort to help out, that we'd just get behind the bar and drink for free all night.

Andy Katz has me shocked bigly. He was their top college basketball writer and had contacts.

Was versatile on TV, print, podcasting.

I really don't get ESPN.
Stephen A, Max Kellerman, Mike Greenberg, Mike Golic, Jemele Hill equal more than the salary they dumped yesterday.

Those 5 cost about 20 million dollars annually.
Yeah, and how many of those people would be missed? I could live without any of them. I have nothing against any of them. But SAS provides nothing at all. Max Kellerman...nothing. Greenberg, he is good at what he does, but he isn't 100x better than someone that would do the same job for $650k. Golic...I like Golic but it is easy to find another Golic (proof is, they already have another Mike Golic). Jemele Hill, I have no idea what she brings to the table. Bottom line is, I would go out of my way to not watch at least 3 of those people and the other two I would not miss.

Looking at a map - Dark Horse Saloon was probably Abner Doubledays in my time. As an aside, I happen to know the owner referenced in the article - Otto Rothermel. Perhaps Otto bought out my fraternity brother. BTW it used to be when a bar changed hands - all the liquor owned by previous management had to be gone. There were a couple of weeks there, in an effort to help out, that we'd just get behind the bar and drink for free all night.
Something like this when you were helping out and drinking for free -
images

Truthfully, my not watching isn't borne from an attempt to get these guys fired. I don't watch their programming because I don't give two @#$@ about being preached to. Nor do I want to watch grown men and women yammer at each other like prepubescent ftards. If it weren't for Steven playing football, I'd never flip the station to ESPN (WatchESPN) at all.

Wow, that's a huge shocker. I would have gotten rid of Jeff Goodman before him.

Agree. Andy had that one issue with JB but I think he is excellent

Truthfully, my not watching isn't borne from an attempt to get these guys fired. I don't watch their programming because I don't give two @#$@ about being preached to. Nor do I want to watch grown men and women yammer at each other like prepubescent ftards. If it weren't for Steven playing football, I'd never flip the station to ESPN (WatchESPN) at all.
I remember the first time I saw the whole debate crap on one of ESPN's shows. It was probably First Take. I couldn't believe people would watch people arguing over sports. Especially two unlikable aholes that knew less than I did about sports. They were loud and unjustifiably confident. And THAT is what ESPN is keeping at the network, instead of adding content and information, they keep the loudmouths with nothing to say.

Could get rid of Stephen A and keep Katz, Kannell, Stark, Bowden, Werder and the whole hockey department. I don't know a single person who can stand listening to that idiot speak. I don't know if its a race thing and I just don't fit in the right demographic that they are looking for with him but I immediately turn the channel or radio station immediately when I hear him speak.

Could get rid of Stephen A and keep Katz, Kannell, Stark, Bowden, Werder and the whole hockey department. I don't know a single person who can stand listening to that idiot speak. I don't know if its a race thing and I just don't fit in the right demographic that they are looking for with him but I immediately turn the channel or radio station immediately when I hear him speak.

Agreed. He is unsufferable.

I remember the first time I saw the whole debate crap on one of ESPN's shows. It was probably First Take. I couldn't believe people would watch people arguing over sports. Especially two unlikable aholes that knew less than I did about sports. They were loud and unjustifiably confident. And THAT is what ESPN is keeping at the network, instead of adding content and information, they keep the loudmouths with nothing to say.
Debate started with PTI and around the Horn.
The shows were getting college aged males watching them at 5 o'clock. Mark Shapiro the president of ESPN before John skipper started this.

Then ESPN wanted to copy Good Morning America for sports and created Cold pizza.
Within Cold Pizza was the segments first and 10 with Woody Paige and Skip Bayless.

This was the expansion of debate on ESPN.
Jamie Horowitz produced Cold Pizza.
The show's GMA style stopped and it became all debate with Skip and Woody.

The show left NYC for Bristol and was rebranded First Take.

Around this time Stephen A was fired by Shapiro.

Woody Paige left to go back to Denver. It became the Skip Bayless show.
Skip owned the trolling and embrace debate till 2009.
Shapiro was replaced by John Skipper.

Skipper has gone all in on debate. He green lighted all these repetitive debate shows.
Skipper rehired Stephen A. and paired him with Skip.
Skipper has brought in more diversity which is good but he has also downplayed journalism.

ESPN isn't keeping viewers for non sports coverage.

The format isn't appealing across the board and it's audiences are dwindling.

I hate embrace debate and can't stand what they have done to Baseball tonight, OTL, the season.

It's all phony loud debate.

He even got his radio show back on middays on ESPN radio in NYC. Luckily there is a better option at that time down the dial. Well, that is until the sleepy blowhard comes on.

Debate started with PTI and around the Horn.
The shows were getting college aged males watching them at 5 o'clock. Mark Shapiro the president of ESPN before John skipper started this.

Then ESPN wanted to copy Good Morning America for sports and created Cold pizza.
Within Cold Pizza was the segments first and 10 with Woody Paige and Skip Bayless.

This was the expansion of debate on ESPN.
Jamie Horowitz produced Cold Pizza.
The show's GMA style stopped and it became all debate with Skip and Woody.

The show left NYC for Bristol and was rebranded First Take.

Around this time Stephen A was fired by Shapiro.

Woody Paige left to go back to Denver. It became the Skip Bayless show.
Skip owned the trolling and embrace debate till 2009.
Shapiro was replaced by John Skipper.

Skipper has gone all in on debate. He green lighted all these repetitive debate shows.
Skipper rehired Stephen A. and paired him with Skip.
Skipper has brought in more diversity which is good but he has also downplayed journalism.

ESPN isn't keeping viewers for non sports coverage.

The format isn't appealing across the board and it's audiences are dwindling.

I hate embrace debate and can't stand what they have done to Baseball tonight, OTL, the season.

It's all phony loud debate.
I am not sure why, but I like Kornheiser and Wilbon. They raise their voices a little, but I guess I just respect their opinions. Woody Paige and Skip Bayless just seemed like a couple of Bud Poliquins going at it. I didn't care what they had to say, but they kept on talking and talking and talking, it is nauseating. I don't know how you sustain so many shows based on debate. Debate can be entertaining when there is subject matter to debate about. When it has to be fabricated, it just becomes two people yelling at each other without reason. For a whole network to fill their non live broadcast schedule with this crap seems so foolish.

I thought MLB was half owned by FOX?
It is. MLB Network is half owned by MLB and half owned by News Corp.(FOX)

This is a win for MLBN as it guts Baseball tonight and it's ESPN giving up on baseball coverage.

ESPN is now football and basketball.
LeBronCenter and Brady Take.

It is. MLB Network is half owned by MLB and half owned by News Corp.(FOX)

This is a win for MLBN as it guts Baseball tonight and it's ESPN giving up on baseball coverage.

ESPN is now football and basketball.
LeBronCenter and Brady Take.
So it's cheaper to pay your competitor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors