ESPN McMurphy “Dungey is in the running for Heisman” | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN McMurphy “Dungey is in the running for Heisman”

The headline of the article is

"Syracuse Football: Eric Dungey has Heisman moment in loss vs Clemson"

Had a heisman moment. The article is outstanding by the way. Great press.

"Many folks considered Syracuse’s win over the Clemson Tigers in 2017 to be a bit of a fluke.

It was Friday the 13th, Kelly Bryant was injured at the end of the first half, and the Orange squeaked it out 27-24. In 2018, a different message was sent. Syracuse has arrived."

As for heisman talk it just says he's "in the running".

Dungey is our version of Colin Klein, former KSU QB. Collin was a finalist for the Hesiman - he wasn’t the best passing QB, but was a damn tough competitor.

If we go 9-3 people will notice.

Tua is going to win and Kyler Murray is the only person with a chance.
Tua hasn’t even attempted a pass in the 4th quarter this entire year and his team has played almost half of the regular season in 5 games.

I think Grier has a real chance too. Gets to have his showcase moment in the finale against Oklahoma, and then might have to play them a week later.

Ok, so it's you against pretty much everyone on the board again. I'm sure you're right though. Eric Dungey, QB of a Syracuse team ranked between 18-22 is going to win the Heisman after a 9-3 or 10-2 record. Is that how you see things going?
Since 2011 Robert Griffin, Marcus Mariotta, Manziel and Lamar Jackson all played on teams with several loses and did't play in the NC or the playoffs. And also I'm not the guy writing for a national publication who said Dungey is in the Heisman conversation, that's McMurphy. Maybe "the board" should back our guy instead of picking him apart.

I disagree. Had SU won, then you could have said he had a Heisman moment. He would have led SU down to a raucous Death Valley and helped pull up an upset over a Playoff contender on national television at the same time catapulting SU into the top 25 and ACCCG conversation.
Yeah I think he needed to win that Clemson game. The jump pass to Hackett would have been one of those Heisman moments. Ah.. what could have been.

Yeah I think he needed to win that Clemson game. The jump pass to Hackett would have been one of those Heisman moments. Ah.. what could have been.
What if he beats Notre Dame in Yankee Stadium, with all the New York media and many Heisman voters at the game?

I believe Dungey’s going to need to significantly step up his passing as well.

He's going to have to put up video game numbers. Has the chance to do just that against Pitt and UNC.

What if he beats Notre Dame in Yankee Stadium, with all the New York media and many Heisman voters at the game?
Just my opinion... I think Syracuse needed to be a CFP team for Dungey to get a legit chance. Tua, as with every other Bama winner, will have an easy ride. In a perfect world I would think Dungey taking a team from back to back 4-8 seasons to a 10-2 type season should make him a more legit over Tua with an NFL roster. But its simply not how it usually works.

This is nuts. In Dungey's moment to stake his claim, he skipped a pass on a wide open throw to the flat.

I like Dungey a lot (not as much as many here admittedly), but how can anyone justify giving him the award for being the "most outstanding player in college football."

The Klein point is interesting, but that kid did a lot of winning to elevate his claim.

Let's just say your a voter. Do you thinks it's more of an accomplishment to play on a loaded team like Alabama or Ohio State and rack up wins and stats or lead a team like Syracuse, which has been down and out for going on 2 decades, to an 11-1 or 10-2 record and reviving a once great college brand"
So, you think refs get told how to turn a game but think the Heisman voting is squeaky clean? I mean if you’re going to rock a conspiracy theory, at least get deep and just say the entire thing from A to Z is rigged

So, you think refs get told how to turn a game but think the Heisman voting is squeaky clean? I mean if you’re going to rock a conspiracy theory, at least get deep and just say the entire thing from A to Z is rigged
I don't think the Heisman voting is squeaky clean. I do think that Syracuse has quite a number of very high up media people in NYC and I think the AD knows them all personally.

I disagree. Had SU won, then you could have said he had a Heisman moment. He would have led SU down to a raucous Death Valley and helped pull up an upset over a Playoff contender on national television at the same time catapulting SU into the top 25 and ACCCG conversation.

He went down swinging in Death Valley much like Lamar Jackson did during his Heisman campaign ... honestly Dungey has 0 chance at the Heisman this talk is ridiculous. Tua will win it .. while they haven't played LSU or Auburn they did play A&M who gave Clemson all they could handle and dismantled them ... it won't even be close ... I mean he only threw for 387 and 4 scores ... he threw for nearly as many yards in 3 quarters against A&M as Clemson was able to muster as a team over 4 quarters on the ground and in the air lets be realistic.

He went down swinging in Death Valley much like Lamar Jackson did during his Heisman campaign ... honestly Dungey has 0 chance at the Heisman this talk is ridiculous. Tua will win it .. while they haven't played LSU or Auburn they did play A&M who gave Clemson all they could handle and dismantled them ... it won't even be close ... I mean he only threw for 387 and 4 scores ... he threw for nearly as many yards in 3 quarters against A&M as Clemson was able to muster as a team over 4 quarters on the ground and in the air lets be realistic.
What a dream killer. This is the same lack of faith and support and was the reason Don MacPherson didn't win the Heisman in 87.

The team has and will always have my full support ... I'm a realist not a moron ...
Maybe you have poor reading comprehension, because if you could read the title of the thread, it says, "ESPN's McMurphy says Dungey in the running for Heisman". It is not encrypted, it is a declarative statement from national sports media personality who wouldn't make such a statement if he didn't have conversations with other people in his profession that leads him to believe Eric Dungey is being discussed as a legitimate Heisman trophy contender.

What a dream killer. This is the same lack of faith and support and was the reason Don MacPherson didn't win the Heisman in 87.

DM didn't win the Heisman because voting starting in like mid October and all the Notre Dame lovers in the media gave it to Tim Brown way too early, way before we finished 11-0.

I'll be happy if ED stays on the field the rest of the year so there is even an inkling of discussion about this in November.

I'd have to guess RB slides in the finalist group. Jonathan Taylor or possibly even AJ Dillon, though Benny Snell could state a case if Kentucky keeps winning.

If I was running odds.
I would go
Tua -200
Murray + 600
Haskins +900
Grier +1500 long shot.

Those will be the finalists though IMO.

McSorley didn't hurt his chances the other night tho a win would have vaulted him into the top three. Seriously outplayed Haskins and was the best player on the field.

McSorley didn't hurt his chances the other night tho a win would have vaulted him into the top three. Seriously outplayed Haskins and was the best player on the field.
I have been told McSorley is the QB NE wants in the next draft. He isn’t going to be a top of the first round guy.
I don’t think he can win the Heisman now but he could be invited to NY if Penn State won out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom